PDA

View Full Version : Changing DL on Matthews Feather Max?

tradclimb
June 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Changing draw length on Matthews Feather Max?

I have been looking for a left hand starter bow and found one locally. It is a Matthews Feather Max, 60#, 29” draw length, with sight, arrow rest, stabilizer, hard case, mechanical releases and arrows for $350.

I went over and looked at the bow and the draw length felt a little too long. I am 5’8” and my arm span tip to tip measures 71” so I believe my draw length would be about 28”. Have also tried a few bows at archery shops set up at 29” draw and they felt too long as well. My question is can the draw length on the Matthews Feather Max be changed to 28”? If so do I need a bow press to change the draw length?

At $350 this seems like a relatively inexpensive way to get fully equipped and try out the sport. I will most likely buy a nicer bow next year. I am just looking to shoot a little more before making a major investment. I priced the Bowtech commander and once you get done with arrows, rest, sight, releases, case, etc it will be about $1,300+.

I just want to make sure I will be able to change the draw length to 28” since even a good price doesn’t mean much if the bow does not fit me correctly.

Thanks,

David

xswanted
June 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I believe that you woudl need to get a differetn cam for it. I don't remember the Feather Max but every other Mathews is DL specific, meaning you would have to put a different cam on it.

And yes you would need a press to do this.

Good Luck! Enjoy shooting!

ArcherAdam
June 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Great bow! The FM was one of my favorites.

You will need some sort of press to change draw length.

Look at the cam. #1 position is the longest draw length. You can make it 1" shorter by moving both parts of the string on the #3 peg.

That is the original Max Cam.

rodney482
June 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Great bow! The FM was one of my favorites.

You will need some sort of press to change draw length.

Look at the cam. #1 position is the longest draw length. You can make it 1" shorter by moving both parts of the string on the #3 peg.

That is the original Max Cam.

yep,,they were adjustable! just like Adam said.

Great little bow!

tradclimb
June 6th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will take a ride over tomorrow and look at the cams on the bow. If they are at the #1 position I am gonna buy the bow. Even if I have to spend a few $$ to get a pro shop to change the string to #3 position I am still ahead of the game.

Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

David

tradclimb
June 6th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Okay I just spoke with the guy selling the bow. He said the cam is currently set at position number 3 which from what ArcherAdam said is already the shortest. So maybe the cam that is on there is a 29"-30" cam. I would have to find a 28"-29" cam to make the bow work for me.

Will have to do some surfing tonight and give a call to one of the archery shops tomorrow to see what it would cost to change out the cam and change the draw length.

Hopefully it will work out.

Thanks,

David

ramboarhunter
June 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM
If you get on the classified here on AT you can probably find a Z2 DDR HL cam for about $45 or $50. That wil give you a 28" draw and probably put the poundage back up to the origional DW.
Basically any bowpress of any kind can be used to relax the string so you can change the cam. There shouldn't be any spacers on the axle so it is real easy to change the cam.
Cam sizes; DD=28" CC=29" BB=30'
All Max cams can be shortened by 1" in 1/4" increments.
The Feather Max is a great bow, I had a couple of them and only sold them to buy a new Switchback LD.
Charlie

Kiteman
July 7th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Don't want to hijack your thread--hopefully you're straightened out by now...BUT...

I see there are some folks that know about these cams posting here. A friend just brought me an FX to restring for him, and I see the 1,2 and 3 posts on the cam. He thinks the draw may be set a little long, and I'm trying to find out how to adjust it down a little.
Ramboar, Rodney, Adam or anyone else in the know..can you explain how to make the 1/4" adjustments in draw length? I printed the owner's manual off Mathews' website, but it's not in there..

THANKS!

Kiteman
July 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM
It IS in the 2001 manual. It is as follows: The DL is adjustable ONE INCH down from its longest setting, which would be 1. To adjust down 1/2", move both loops to position 2. To adjust down 1", move loops to position 3.

Thanks anyway!
Stan

ramboarhunter
July 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
The Mathews Max cam can be adjusted in 1/4" increments.
To shorten by 1/4" move either end of the string to the #2 peg.
To shorten by 1/2" move both ends of the string to the #2 pegs.
To shorten by 3/4" move one end of the string to the #2 peg and the other end to the #3 peg.DO NOT USE THE #1 PEG AND THE #3 PEG TO SHORTEN 1/2".
To shorten 1" move both ends of the string to the #3 pegs.
You must time the cam on the #1 pegs and the limbs maxed out. When you shorten the DL you will through the timing marks off, but if you try to put it back in time according to the marks you will take the DL back out to the original DL.
Good luck on a good bow.
Charlie

Kiteman
July 7th, 2008, 06:49 PM
The owner's manual does not go into that detail! Where did you find that info? Good stuff, for sure....
I need to align the cam also (obviously if I'm restringing) and I don't see the 'normal' Mathews holes which go parallel to the string. Do you know what holes are used to time the cam, and how are they positioned when it is 'in time'? Is there a pic somewhere which would show this? I know I found one for my MQ1 years ago that showed the two holes parallel to the string...

THANKS AGAIN--like I said, I'm doing this for a friend and want to do it right!!

Kiteman
July 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Searched the Mathews forums, and lo and behold, under the Tech File, I found Cam Rotations---and PICTURES of each cam, and its proper alignment.
Charlie is correct--on the Max Cam, it must be done at peak weight and longest DL

Thanks again

Kiteman
July 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
The cam on this FX is a ZBBRHL. There are NO HOLES in this cam in the spots shown on the Max cam in the Tech File!!:confused:
I can see that the cam looks to be in the same position as the one in the pic, just no holes to verify.....:eek:

Thanks for any info....

Kiteman
July 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Anyone know the story of why this cam does NOT have the alignment holes
shown on the Mathews Tech file?:confused:

thanks

1stQ2XLMAN
July 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Anyone know the story of why this cam does NOT have the alignment holes
shown on the Mathews Tech file?:confused:

thanks

THE ORIGINAL MAXCAMS DO NOT HAVE TIMING MARKS ,the newer maxcams that start wih Z2- do have timing holes ,and slightly wider cable track. you can use either cam on your bow there complety interchangeable .

on the original maxcams yu have to use the center of the number one post and the edge of the lobe in front of it ,both strings must be on the number one post and the limbolts have to be tightened all the way down.

on the mathews website the is a paper chart that shows cam alignment .
the ones in the pictures are z2 maxcams

1stQ2XLMAN
July 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
The cam on this FX is a ZBBRHL. There are NO HOLES in this cam in the spots shown on the Max cam in the Tech File!!:confused:
I can see that the cam looks to be in the same position as the one in the pic, just no holes to verify.....:eek:

Thanks for any info....

on a fx the Z-BBR-HL and Z2-BBR-HL are 30" 80% letoff right hand cams

the Z-BBR-HL will NOT have timing marks

the Z2-BBR-HL WILL have timing marks

the draw length adjustment is as follows

post 1-1=30"
post 1-2=29 3/4"
post 2-2=29 1/2"
post 2-3=29 1/4"
post 3-3=29"
never go 1-3
it also doesnt matter which side is which

they made the two changes to the maxcam on the conquest 3 both cams are completly the same except for the timing marks and the cable track is slightly wider . so u can use either one on any bow that uses a maxcam

note: on a left handed bow the "R" in the cam lettering will be an "L"if you have a left handed bow ,all adjustments will be the same

Kiteman
July 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM
I really appreciate that info, 1stQ2....I'm trying to do a favor for a friend, and I want that bow to be right when I get it back to him. It was never tuned properly (at all!!) by the shop he bought it from, and the DL is too long for him. The poor gent has lost his shooting confidence, and I 'aim' to help him get it back. This information is part of that process!!

Once again, THANKS!

Stan