Archery Talk Forum banner

Scores when you started shooting?

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  mrs arrowkeeper 
#1 ·
I've read ya'lls scores on some of these posts and they sound great---even intimidating. I would like to know what you shot at your first shoots. How long did it take you to improve? I got my bow about a month ago and strarted shooting 3ds with my husband. He took me to my first 3d shoot yesterday and I shot 150. Judging distance is difficult but I'm learning with every mistake. I shoot every day. I shoot a Browning Microadrenaline. 25 1/2 draw and only 37lbs at the moment. I'm just now where we can bump it up a little. I'm still a baby when it comes to strength! So, what scores did you start with? If these ARE your starting scores that's great. I'll cry, but that's great.

#2 ·
have fun

Hi Mrsarrowkeeper,
Thought you might like to know that the first big shoot I went to I placed dead last by a long shot. But that didn't matter because I had a blast doing it. 3-D takes alot of time and practice but once you get your form and yardage down you should be bringging home the trophies. I have been shooting for 3 years now and still only draw 45 lbs for 3-D, it's not the poundage that matters it's how good a shot you are. Remember that the more you gain in speed the more you loose in accuracy.
Good luck and have fun:D
Heather

#3 ·
Keep At IT!!

When I first started 3-d I shot a 120 but with a few years of practice and only 25in draw pull 36# I shot a 309 at this years first shoot! So it's fun great excercise, family time. Keep at it hope to see you at the world's real soon above all have fun

#4 ·
I started 3D's when I was really young about 3. So I have been judging yardage for a while. I honestly don't remember my first 3D tournament's score was. But my first NFAA 300 round score was a 295 but I was a cub and it was at 10 yards. So my first twenty yard tournament score was a 220. I had a huge instance of target panic; finally got that problem set aside.
Katie
P.S. Keep up the great shooting.

#5 ·
Welcome to this very addicting sport/hobby/lifestyle... whatever you call it! :D I'm proud of you that you tackled a 3-D shoot so soon after starting! :D Way to go! :D As they said, if you're having fun, that's what counts! :D

Hmmm. Another thing to remember about 3-D's is some courses are much tougher than others, so don't be too hard on yourself! :D For example, I got pretty lucky and shot in the upper 260's at my first 3-D. The 2nd 3-D, my score was WAY lower! Similar weather, similar terrain, but the layout was much more difficult for me, lost and broke several arrows etc.

I just got home from shooting a 2-day 3-D course that reminded me how VERY out of shape I am! :D Literally MILES of walking, often in pretty steep and rough terrain! A real western hunting scenario! :D And I actually shot a score 28 LESS the 2nd day than the first day! Now THAT sucks! :D

We're all learning, we all have "oh why did I do that" moments, and we're all happy and proud of the good shots and good effort even when our scores aren't what we'd hoped. Keep smiling while you're shooting, life is good! :D

#7 ·
You all are so encouraging. I am definitely having a great time.

I am reading everything I can get my hands on and I am certainly teachable. I know what you mean when you say it's addicting. My husband has been addicted for years. He got me going and now he says he's created a monster.:D

#9 ·
Its awesome to see so many women on here. I think that it is great that you have started archery. My husband got me into the sport and taught me everything I know. My first shoot I shot a 279 (thats with 42 targets though) and was elated. I was hooked from then on also. I am such a competitive person and at the same time I love to go out and have fun. And if I can do both it's a bonus! This will be my 3rd season and I have won both shoots we have been to this year. The last one I shot a 353 and beat my husband! (he he) Keep it up girl, you keep practicing and before you know it you'll be smokin the boys too. :D

#10 ·
When I started shooting 3d's, I was happy to hit the animal! I think everyone starts from the bottom. Just keep trying to improve your score every time you shoot a tournament. Every 3D tournament scores differently, so don't totally rely on the total score. It all depends on the number of targets and the scoring on the targets. Try to lower the amount of misses or zeros. then as your improve, keep track of how many x or center hits you're getting and try to improve on that number. Even after shooting for a few years, I always figure out my shooting percentage on a course by taking my score divided by the total score possible. Then I try to improve on that percentage. That's something I will continue to do.

Above all, don't be dissapointed if your score is not always better than the last. Some courses are more difficult than others. Check out the top scores in a tournament. They will show you how difficult the shoot was.

These are the methods I used to improve my scores. I'm sure everyone does it differently. Just find something that will challenge you and help you to improve.

Good luck! And keep practicing!

#11 ·
mrs arrowkeeper

Howdy again! :D Did I read in another post where your first 3-D score of 150 was for a 20 target course? If so, that's pretty awesome! :D That "pecentage" would have placed in the top 3-5 in some of our local 38-40 target shoots! :D Come on out to the Pacific Northwest and win yourself a trophy or two! :D LOL! Great shooting, keep up the good work! :D

#12 ·
outdoor girl

oh go on!

See, this is why I love this place! If you're feelin like you're not measuring up you can just come here and get a great big pat on the back. :D

My score was a 150 for my first 3d but it was on 25 targets not 20. Aaaaaaand, the wind was such a factor my hubby was having trouble using his backtension release. So you can imagine what it was doing to a beginner.

That may be just an excuse, but I'm stickin to it. ;)

#13 ·
I've been shooting for a month now and we got some of the vegas face paper targets this weekend. A friend of mine who's in to archery (OutdoorGal) told me how to count the points and how 300 is perfect, etc.

So....on Monday evening when I shot, I tallied 'em like she said and I came up with a 272 and then a 268. I'm not sure if that's bad or good for a beginner but I had fun shooting either way. ;)

#14 ·
Rockin! :D

Way ta GO Jodi! :D Those scores are rockin! :D There were scores at Vegas that weren't that good! :D (obviously some major pressure on people there which makes it extra tough! :D) Yup, you're doin' GREAT! :D I TOLD ya you'd be beatin' me soon! :D That's better than I shot last night! :D Sounds like ya better start checkin' out a league so you can be like smokentheboyz and give em some "what for"! :D You GO girl! :D

#16 ·
Thats awesome! I've never shot indoor but the way you girls are talkin it up I may have to start. Sounds like loads of fun. Jodi, girl you have to get your mind right. I don't wanna hear anymore of this "gonna try and beat the hubby" , just say to yourself I AM going to beat the hubby. It'll make you smile :D

#18 ·
LOL - ya'll are good for the ego! :D

We have an outdoor range set up at our house...come on over girls!!

Btw, hubby shot a 250 when I had the 268! Heeeheeeheee! But we're both off tomorrow and it's going to be beautiful out so we'll be out flingin the arrows. Hopefully...I mean...I WILL whoop him! :D

#20 ·
I was just reading the mail here and thought I'd jump in.

You're doing just great. We all start out not knowing squat and the challenge is to develop our abilities. I started 4 years ago because my son wanted to start archery. After firing a couple of arrows out of his bow I was hooked. One thing led to another and we are now fanatics.

In my first year, I was just happy to hit the target. We have an outdoor here that is very difficult because we are located in the badlands. On some of those shots, I literally hang onto the side of a cliff to make them. My second tourney - well, that was totally nutz, but Gus (my son) and I shot it anyway. It was a 900 round at the Prairie Rose State Games. We didn't do too bad though and did medal, but talk about an endurance contest when going in and not really knowing how long and difficult it can be. Now a 900 round is my very favorite to shoot.

Morris, my husband, and I shoot as partners in the local league. This is our 3rd year together and we've been hovering between 2nd and 3rd through the season. We call our team Bonnie and Clyde and are having a ball. There are 19 teams reported in this league and we shoot against some tough competition.

Just remember it's all a game and have a ball. You will only get better and better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.