PDA

View Full Version : Backpack Hunters

Grizzly_Adams
June 8th, 2008, 12:17 AM
im looking to get back into backpacking (haven't been sence my early teens) and I figure it's a good way to get into some better bucks also. Ill be packing both recreationally and for hunting purposes and im looking for recomendations on a pack that will fit both purposes. if it makes any diff im 6'3" and about 200 lbs and would like something i can realistickly pack as much of a large animal as pissible with in 1 trip.

thanks

zap
June 8th, 2008, 12:20 AM
The cabelas outfitter frames are pretty good. I use it for treestands, climbing sticks, and strap my day pack on it to. They will carry as much weight as you can handle. Pretty comfortable.

Anaconda
June 8th, 2008, 12:33 AM
It depends a lot on how much $ you are willing to spend, and how much gear you plan to pack in with.
The external frame Cabelas packs are very functional and start around $100.
At the other end of the spectrum, a Mystery ranch set up on there "nice" frame can go over $600.
Some good interneal frame packs in between are;
Blacks Creek Canadian and Alasken
Eberlestock Dragon Fly J107, and Blue Widow,
Badlands 4500

Bow Kill
June 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM
im looking to get back into backpacking (haven't been sence my early teens) and I figure it's a good way to get into some better bucks also. Ill be packing both recreationally and for hunting purposes and im looking for recomendations on a pack that will fit both purposes. if it makes any diff im 6'3" and about 200 lbs and would like something i can realistickly pack as much of a large animal as pissible with in 1 trip.

thanks

Pick up this months issue of Eastmans Hunting Jurrnal. Nate did a review of some of the better packs out there. Might help you get started.

ELITE@LAST
June 8th, 2008, 12:51 AM
how much are you looking to spend and how long are you wanting to stay out at a time???

Dirtytough
June 8th, 2008, 01:10 AM
The cabelas outfitter frames are pretty good. I use it for treestands, climbing sticks, and strap my day pack on it to. They will carry as much weight as you can handle. Pretty comfortable.

I gotta disagree with that. I have broken one frame and I have seen two others brake.

I would look at,
Kifaru
Mystery Ranch
Barney's Pinnacle
In no particular order.

Those three are probably the best hunting packs made. If you want to save some money I would look at an Arc'Teryx Bora, or an Osprey Crescent. These are backpacking packs that work very well for hunting. Also, REI is having a sale on there Mars pack at a pretty good price if you are on a budget.

waiting4fall
June 8th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I use a 7,000 cubic internal frame pack I got off E bay for $45. it works great, holds all my late season stuff. There's lot's of em just do a search.

Grizzly_Adams
June 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM
as of currently i won't be out for huge amounts of time cause i can't afford to take the time off but, in the future i would like to be able to do 2 plus week trips for muleys and what not and just plain old backpacking

ive seen the mystery ranch packs they look awsome but a bit pricy as im gunna be spending a buncha $$$ on my archery rig here pretty quick so the less expensive quality stuff would be better. we'll see maybe i can talk wifey into an early or late bday xmas wedding present all rolled into 1.

Thanks Chris

3DBIGBULLX
June 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM
I would look at the Kelty Coyote 4750

Grizzly_Adams
June 9th, 2008, 01:20 AM
does any body know with the mystery ranch packs perticularly the nice 6500 does it come with the frame? i can't tell with the info on the web sight. if so there not that bad but i don't wanna hafta spend another $400 on top of the $375 for the bag to get all the stuff i need/want

IdahoGobbler
June 9th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Iam telling you go with badlands they are SWEET

ELITE@LAST
June 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Mountain Hardwear Maestro 4000cu in 5lbs 12oz= $379
Mountainsmith Shavano 5675cu in 5lbs 6oz= $279
Mystery Ranch G-5000 5000cu in 7lbs 7oz=$475
Osprey Aether 85 5300cu in 4lbs 13oz=$279
The North Face Catalyst 75 5200cu in 6lbs 6oz=$399
Gregory Denali Pro105 6450cu in 7lbs 12oz=$459
Lowe Alpine TFX Summit 75+20 5700cu in 7lbs 8oz=$320

these are all packs i've tried this year that i think would fit the bill for you and not totally break the bank.. not hunting oriented but will definitely fit the bill none the less...

for hunting type packs look no further than
Eberlestock
Badlands
Mystery Ranch
Kifaru

Beendare
June 9th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Alot of the ultra light backpackers seem to like that Osprey.

I also agree with dirty above....Though Cabelas is a great store- that freighter they sell is about 20 years behind the times.

Key is fit. You and I are about the same height and most packs will not fit well

booppr
June 9th, 2008, 02:34 AM
what about how you all cook. i have heard some good things about the jet boil. what about that new set called the reactor by msr. maybe not even getting a kit would be best??? i have been looking into this for a while also and would love to hear what you all have to say about it.

Yellowfin
June 9th, 2008, 03:16 AM
The backpacking stove the people I learned from used was the Svea. Not glamorous, not too big either, but it didn't take up much space, weighed little, and worked everywhere every time for decades.

ELITE@LAST
June 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM
what about how you all cook. i have heard some good things about the jet boil. what about that new set called the reactor by msr. maybe not even getting a kit would be best??? i have been looking into this for a while also and would love to hear what you all have to say about it.

the big down side to the MSR is the lack of flame adjustment....if you're not careful you'll burn dinner with it... it like a friggin blow torch.

the Jetboil GCS i got works a lot better than the MSR i just sold:wink:

RockChucker30
June 9th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Most of what I'd recommend has already been mentioned, but don't forget Osprey. They make some very tough packs that fit both roles very well.

3DBIGBULLX
June 9th, 2008, 09:46 AM
For cooking Im using a Brunton Raptor, works slick, boils water in like 2 minutes