PDA

View Full Version : ELK Recipie HELP

dw'struth
June 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
If anyone could give me a link to a good elk roast recipie, I would greatly appreciate it. It is for my grandfather on father's day. If you don't have a link to a site, any info would help. Thanks in advance.

Rose-n-Arrows
June 15th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Since elk don't have a lot of fat, I like to sear my roast in bacon fat. This helps to lock in the juices. I think fresh(if you can find it) rosemary and bay leaf are a nice complement, and of course, garlic and fresh ground pepper. Salt, too. Roasting it at a lower temp maintains the juices, and the extra minutes in the oven allows the flavors to really meld. Happy Father's Day!

dw'struth
June 15th, 2008, 12:53 PM
:embara:thanks man, I just realized there is a forum for this stuff.

MKNOX
June 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
My wife does an awesome pot roast in the pressure cooker. Sear the roast in olive oil or bacon fat then add 1 small bag of red skin potatoes 2 vidalia onions coarsely chopped, 1 20 oz can stewed tomatos, 1 lb baby carrots, 2 tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 lb celery chopped,several dashes of worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste cook at high pressure for 50 minutes.

dw'struth
June 15th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks, that sounds gooood.

Roskoe
June 15th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Here's the last word on an elk roast: Put meat in a zip lock bag. Mix 2/3 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup crushed garlic, and 1/8 cup lemon juice - add to zip lock bag. Squish around until well mixed. Put in refridgerator overnight. Then place on a rack in a baking pan, lay bacon strips across roast, and roast for 15 minutes at 400 - turn down to 250 - and continue until center reads 130 on meat thermometer. Serve with brown gravy.