Archery Talk Forum banner

Possible to shorten Draw length?

10K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ehntr 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a pretty old bow that has a draw length that is way to long for me. The bow is a Bear Whitetail Legend. It has been mine since I bought it new almost 20 yrs ago. I used to shoot it without a release and the length was fine. I finallt got tired of my fingers getting so sore, so I am now using a release. With the release and the release loop my string hand is way behind my right ear at full draw. Is it possible to shorten draw length?

Thanx,
Mark

#2 ·
Trying to remember here. I had a Whitetail something. Is there round plastic wheels on the cables? Should be markd a, b, c. I forget which is which but can be chanded without a press. Also, shorten loop. Loop can be shortened to 1/2" with a bit of effort. Next, shorten release (index finger?) so that trigger is in crook of once joint of finger - second joint would be better, but not very easy to hook up, depending on model.

#3 ·
Trying to remember here. I had a Whitetail something. Is there round plastic wheels on the cables? Should be marked a, b, c. I forget which is which but can be changed without a press. Also, shorten loop. Loop can be shortened to 1/2" with a bit of effort. Next, shorten release (index finger?) so that trigger is in crook of once joint of finger - second joint would be better, but not very easy to hook up, depending on model.

This post has been deleted
#8 ·
short draw

may need an arm stretcher

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
With the release and the release loop my string hand is way behind my right ear at full draw. Is it possible to shorten draw length?
Remember the guy who started this thread lol Markhpb.........he is asking for advice on how to shorten draw length BECAUSE WITH THE RELEASE LOOP HIS HAND IS WAY BEHIND HIS EAR AT FULL DRAW. Now if you can't understand that........there is help for you lol. You don't shorten an anchor point (as you incorrectly stated). If you have an anchor point you want to maintain, you use a DL (with or without a D loop) to accommodate that).......adding or subtracting a D loop will change your anchor point.......and that is what he is looking for............go away now.

#9 ·
OK guys. Here is the deal. From reading thousands of posts of the years I get this interpretation. When guys ask about shortening their draw length it's because they are stretched out too far. This is usually due to the "bow's" draw length being too long, but there are other factors like adding a loop or the release being too long.

No matter how you spell it the whole idea is to shorten how long the archer is pulling to anchor. People don't really have what I'd call a draw length. The bow does. What people do is draw the bow till it stops and establish an anchor point. So the whole point is to shorten this length, which changes one's anchor point.

What people need to start stating is whether they want to shorten their draw length (anchor points) and if changing the bow's draw length is how to go about it. Usually it is.

It's simply a matter of misinterpretation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.