PDA

View Full Version : S40 hack tutorial

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 02:49 PM
This is how I do my hack on the s40. Keep in mind that this is done with my cam in mind. These are not my methods, but were taken from other hacks and combined. I hoe this helps.

Step #1
remove the case screws.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
I first set the selector to the left. This will help keep you from breaking the selector. Now we can take the back off. It just snaps off. With the back off remove the focus ribbon. Picture below. We now can remove the front cover. It just snaps off and there is a tab on the bottom left.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
We now need to scrape the terminals. I use a eye glass screwdriver to scrape the white block. I now lay a piece of electrical tape under the terminal block. You want to scrape the 2nd one from the left (shutter). We now want to scrape the first one to the right (power). Now tin the wire you are going to use. Lay it down on the terminal and lay your iron on top of the wire. The solder will puddle quickly and when you see this remove your iron quickly. Hold the wire in place till the solder hardens. Do this for both wires. I then put another piece of electrical tape on top of the wires to hold them. It help to keep me from pulling them out.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
I now put the front cover on. Hook up the focus ribbon. Attach the ground on the usb hood solder point (picture below). I now put the batteries in and check my hack. I touch the camera on wire to the usb or the attached ground wire. The camera should turn on. If not go back and check your connection on the right. Now when we get it to power on we will check the shutter. We power on the camera and touch the shutter wire to ground or usb hood. It should take a picture. If it doesn`t go back and check the wire on the left. Do this until they both work. If you are doing a 3 wire hack you are done and assemble the camera.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
This is the 4 wire hack. After I checked my connections from step #4 I turn the camera on and remove the batteries. The selector tab has to be in the middle. I want the lens out and cover open. Put the selector to the left after the camera batteries were removed. I remove the front cover. I then unsolder the ribbon from the cover motor (pictures below). Tape the ribbon so it will not short out.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Remove the lens cover motor screw. Lift up on the drive motor so it disengages from the cover gear. Rotate the cover so it disengages from the switch, but the cover needs to be open. Reinstall the drive motor and tighten down.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Now we need to solder the wire to the switch we just uncovered. It is the switch to the left and it is the top terminal. This terminal is small. Tin a piece of wire and solder it to the top terminal. I use the Radio Shack cordless soldering iron for this. It is tight and you don`t want a hot iron. We have to be careful when we rout these wires. There are holes on the front cover and we don`t want these wire going in them. They will get smashed and will not let the camera go together. Put the front cover on. Be careful routing the wires.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Remove the tripod holder insert from the back cover. There is one screw and it pops out. Route the wires out the hole. Be careful how your route the wires. We don`t want to pull or pinch the wires. Be sure not to get a wire in the screw hole or you can cut it off. Put the lens focus ribbon back in. Install back cover. Install the screws.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
We now want to check the hack. Touch the red wire and ground wire. The camera should power up. If not check the power solder connection. You should get an error. If not there is something wrong with the lens hack. Turn camera off. Now tie the ground together with the lens cover wire. Now touch the power wire with the tied ground wire. The camera should power up without an error. Now touch the tied ground wire with the shutter wire. The camera should take a picture. If not check your shutter wire connection. The one to the left. If it passes these test you are good to go.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
I put shrink tube on the wires to hold them and protect them. Seal up the connection. I make sure I seal up the connection with goop. Things happen when you are checking the camera. If the wire gets pulled the goop will keep it from getting pulled out. It also seals it from moisture. You are now done.

cattrapper
July 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
that camera in the last pic looks really familiar.

12-Ringer
July 22nd, 2008, 05:39 PM
to the rescue once again. Excellent tutorial, I was thinking of posting one for the S600, as so many have been hitting with PM's.

HEY MODS - 1 vote here for a sticky!!!!!!!

cattrapper
July 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
i want to see one for the s600 ,thats my next build , with external power please.

buckshot164
July 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Please if anyone has any tips on hacking the s40 post it here.

skeeter5
July 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM
ttt PLease StICKY this thread!!!

buckshot164
August 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
ttt

buckeyboy
August 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM
This has nothing to do with the s40 just wanted to let everone know Buckshot sold me an s600 and man what a nice clean 4 wire job stero jack
I feel bad even using the word Hack:wink: thanks Buckshot keep up the good work.

buckshot164
August 24th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Hey post you thoughts on the camera and hack. If you had a bad experience post it. It may help someone else. This hack is not for everyone.

cattrapper
August 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
its the only hack that ive done, everyone says its tough but i dont have anything else to compare it to. the s40 makes a nice lower priced unti i think. lets newbies get there feet wet with out a whole bunch of money tied up.

buckshot164
September 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
ttt

adventuregeorge
September 18th, 2008, 04:35 PM
TTT for an awesome tutorial!!!!

buckshot164
January 4th, 2009, 08:50 AM
ttt
We need this to be a sticky.

Gadestroyer74
January 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Make this a sticky ! ! ! ! Please

mtmedic
January 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
make this a sticky ! ! ! ! Please

sticky please!

buckshot164
January 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
ttt

buckshot164
January 21st, 2009, 09:49 PM
ttt

buckshot164
February 10th, 2009, 10:38 PM
ttt

drahthaar
February 10th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Buckshot, I was looking at the lens part of the hack. You only soldered the white wire in this part correct?

You have the tan wire soldered to the ground. What is the black wire in the pictures?

AmishArcher
February 11th, 2009, 07:44 AM
you have a gift my friend! when i finally get everything rounded up to do a hack, you can bet i'll be following your tutorial

buckshot164
February 11th, 2009, 02:18 PM
This can be done differently. The brown wire was ground/common. White was the wire to the lens switch you were asking about. The other two wires were for the external battery option. You could eliminate the brown wire and tap into the black wire for the ground for both. The black wire went to the negative of the power supply.

rtgreen312
February 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM
ttt, This is good info.

buckshot164
March 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM
ttt

tcJohnson
March 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM
bump

opossum
March 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm on my second try on a S40 and really appreciate the info Buckshot provides. I got a little confused looking at the directions with the first one I went off of and wrecked it. I'm pretty sure with the photos provided I can handle it. Thanks!

buckshot164
March 27th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Keep us posted on your experience. I messed up my first one to. So don`t feel bad. The biggest thing is don`t put to much heat on the connector. Don`t try to solder to the connector. Tin your wire and put some resin paste on the terminal. Now just lay your iron on the wire. As soon as you see it puddle remove your iraon. This is quick. Heat will cause major problems.

ktriebol
April 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Step 6 in this tutorial deals with the lens mod. When it comes to fixing the lens doors open, the above instructions cover removing the motor screw, disengage the motor gear from the door gear, rotate the lens doors to the open position, re-engage the motor gear and door gear, then re-install the motor screw. I have found a quicker way to accomplish the same thing.

Do not remove the motor screw or disengage the gears. Simply insert a small precision screwdriver in the slot that is found in the lens door switch pawl, then push sideways on the screwdriver to open the doors. Since the gears are engaged while doing this, the motor will turn also, but that is OK. When you have the doors positioned where you want them (the doors should be fully open and the pawl should not be actuating either of the two switches), remove the screwdriver. You are done.

buckshot164
April 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yes this will work to. I have always had hard time getting it in the right position. I am always one way or another to far. As long as the switch is not made.

buckshot164
May 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
ttt

jbo3
May 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Step 6 in this tutorial deals with the lens mod. When it comes to fixing the lens doors open, the above instructions cover removing the motor screw, disengage the motor gear from the door gear, rotate the lens doors to the open position, re-engage the motor gear and door gear, then re-install the motor screw. I have found a quicker way to accomplish the same thing.

Do not remove the motor screw or disengage the gears. Simply insert a small precision screwdriver in the slot that is found in the lens door switch pawl, then push sideways on the screwdriver to open the doors. Since the gears are engaged while doing this, the motor will turn also, but that is OK. When you have the doors positioned where you want them (the doors should be fully open and the pawl should not be actuating either of the two switches), remove the screwdriver. You are done.

Can someone elaborate here?

Does this mean, you don't turn on the camera and have the doors open, then take the batteries out?

So basically, you just turn the camera over, pry the doors open, then solder in the white wire?

And..can someone elaborate on the external battery hack?

I only ordered a 4 wire servo. How would I go about doing the battery hack so I can add external batteries?

For that matter, how long do the regular 2 AA batteries last?

And what is the preferred method of external batteries? AA, C, D's? I have a ton of eneloop AA's and would like to throw in 2 or 4 AA's as the externals. I'm assuming, the 2 AA's are still in the camera, plus the externals?

buckshot164
May 19th, 2009, 02:26 PM
If you are going to use the process of rotating the lens cover you do not need to turn the camera on and remove the batteries.

You can use a four wire servo on this hack. Run the external wires from the battery terminals. Use that ground for the external, power on and shutter. So you will need to splice the ground wire after the servo. One will go to the external and the other will go to the control board.

As for externals and what to use. The case has more to do with this. If you can`t fit d cells in the case you can go with aa or c. Some people prefer a certain size battery. This is the great thing about homebrew. You can choose. Do not use alkaline with alkaline in parallel. Do not use lithium with alkaline and nimh. You can use alkaline with nimh.

jbo3
May 23rd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Well I have successfully FAILED.

It must be the red and green wire soldering. I either scraped too much insulation off to expose the other terminals and when I soldered I got too much and well... I have the wire soldered to more than the one terminal... thats all I can think of. I tried removing some of the solder and basically am just making a mess.

The camera wont power up at all.

buckshot164
May 23rd, 2009, 04:02 PM
If you can get the solder off the other terminals use finger nail polish and coat the terminals and then clean off the terminals you want.

buckshot164
June 9th, 2009, 01:15 AM
ttt

kystacys
September 11th, 2009, 11:57 PM
any pics of the external connections?

buckshot164
October 2nd, 2009, 02:32 PM
Video version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yulru6NIcz0

Ohio Bucks
October 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Any external connects for the S40? I am either going to go with a p32 or S40 for my next build.

buckshot164
October 31st, 2009, 10:02 PM
Do a searcvh on here I have one here but you have to search for it.

Top-Pin
December 21st, 2009, 09:40 PM
If anyone has a s40 they messed up, I'd like to buy it. I have a hacked and ready to go s40 that I just need a lens assy for it. Let me know through PM.

Thanks

snaildarter
January 15th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the tutorial. I finished my first hack and it works!!

Also Top-Pin if you get a non working s40 and don't need the flash I have one that I'd like to try and replace the flash on. Let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks.

buckshot164
February 26th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Sony s40 exteernal hack video through the tripod holder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XACXj1UbMWM

Sooner Archer
February 26th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Thanks, Buckshot. That's exactly what I was looking for. Did my first hack yesterday and it works perfectly. For the first-timer's out there, the learning curve is pretty steep with the first one. The next one will be much easier. Just read through all these threads before you get started and make a lot of notes. Makes the build much easier.

Thanks to Buckshot and everyone else who has provided information on doing these!

Sooner Archer
February 26th, 2010, 09:29 AM
One thing I learned doing mine that wasn't mentioned. The plastic shutter on mine had a hair trigger to keep open after doing the lens hack. Just a minor bump and it would close shut, giving me an "Access" error. I couldn't keep it open no matter where I set it between the two switches.

I thought about putting just a little glue on both of them when they were open, but you can't access the bottom one when they are open. I ended up just breaking both them off and trimming them so the lens would pass through the opening. Now the tab is in between both switches and can't move.

buckshot164
February 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM
you can glue the lens cover door open on both the s40 and s600.

buckshot164
February 26th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Here is a video showing how to fix the white screen on a Sony S40. This may not fix the black screen, but might fix the screen with lines through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzlR1QVZew0

buckshot164
March 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
Sony S40 grinding noiose focus mechanism troubleshooting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxWKcLwyuNc

YZ125MM700
April 28th, 2010, 10:40 AM
so....Im going to order parts for my first hack, im using the simple sniper board. couple questions. why do a 4 wire vs a 3 wire hack? What's the difference? How does the lens cover stay open on a 3 wire hack? Do i need to use a external power source for the camera? As Jbo3 asked are the original 2 batterys still in the camera, with the externals added? Thanks for the help.

Sooner Archer
April 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
so....Im going to order parts for my first hack, im using the simple sniper board. couple questions. why do a 4 wire vs a 3 wire hack? What's the difference? How does the lens cover stay open on a 3 wire hack? Do i need to use a external power source for the camera? As Jbo3 asked are the original 2 batterys still in the camera, with the externals added? Thanks for the help.

A 4 wire fast hack allows the lens to stay extended, which makes the trigger speed faster. With a 3 wire hack, the lens retracts. A 4 wire hack is faster and quieter, since the lens is already extended. On any hack, the lens cover stays open all the time because the lens cover motor is disabled. Most people even glue the lens covers open so they can't close.

On the external power, yes, you still put two batteries in the camera. You don't have to use external power, it just extends the time the camera will take pictures. If you don't add externals, the two AA batteries will only power the camera for a week to 10 days, depending on the number of pictures it takes. I use two D batteries as externals and my cameras last about a month before I have to change out the batteries.

YZ125MM700
April 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Ahh, i see. thank-you for explaining that to me. makes perfect sense now. I think i'll go with the 4 wire hack.

egbertdavis
April 28th, 2010, 03:08 PM
If you do, you will need to use the Yeti board - make sure you order it for the fast hack.

buckshot164
April 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Three wire hack goes with the ss board for now. This may change with the ss2. But for now if you want the 4 wire hack then you will need a Yeti baord that has the lens mod required.

YZ125MM700
April 28th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Ok I didnt know that. Thanks, I think im going to use the sniper board for my first one, see how it goes. it seems that one is alittle more "noob" friendly. That way i can see what i all need for the next one. so i'll just have to order a 3 wire servo connector then? How about the wiring harness for the external batteries what kind of wire you use for that?

buckshot164
April 28th, 2010, 08:50 PM
You could order a 5 wire servo. This would cover the other two wires for the external. I think you will be happy with the build.

Sooner Archer
April 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Ok I didnt know that. Thanks, I think im going to use the sniper board for my first one, see how it goes. it seems that one is alittle more "noob" friendly. That way i can see what i all need for the next one. so i'll just have to order a 3 wire servo connector then? How about the wiring harness for the external batteries what kind of wire you use for that?

YZ - my suggestion would be to go ahead and start with the S-40 for your first build. If you decide to make another one, research the S-600 with a Yeti board. There are two solder points that are pretty tough, but it's not that bad. The flash on the S-600 is so much better than the S-40. Just make sure and use 30 AWG wire for the shutter and power switches on the S-600. Makes it much easier to solder. I just use the wire from an old USB cord. Good luck!

buckshot164
August 24th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Here is 3 videos on how to hack a Sony S40 3 wire with exernals. This is with the wires out the bottom. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLSnj0kEv-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI6aY_Vims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vfVr5ReK6o

Baz59
October 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
I just hacked my first camera. I belive i may have messed up but not too sure... I can get the camera to power on by touching my wires, but when i attempt to touch the wires for a picture it wont take. It will hold as if its about to take a picture with the green light on, but never actually take the picture... any idea what i have done?

buckshot164
October 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yes you either got to much heat on the connector or you are bleeding into another terminal. Unhack the shutter wire and make sure you are not touching another terminal. If you are use some fingernail polish and cover the terminals. Rescrape the terminals and re hack the camera..

Baz59
October 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
Looks like i may have ruied this camera... think i scratched the ternimal too deep and removed the ternimal.... anyway around it?

pure havoc
December 14th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Heres another schematic on the yeti board with a S-40 I believe buckshot used a brown or tan wire for the ground on this setup in the above pics instead of black like on the You Tube hack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/standardracer/yetiboardhack.jpg