Archery Talk Forum banner

S40 hack tutorial

14K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  pure havoc 
#1 ·
This is how I do my hack on the s40. Keep in mind that this is done with my cam in mind. These are not my methods, but were taken from other hacks and combined. I hoe this helps.

Step #1
remove the case screws.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Step #2

I first set the selector to the left. This will help keep you from breaking the selector. Now we can take the back off. It just snaps off. With the back off remove the focus ribbon. Picture below. We now can remove the front cover. It just snaps off and there is a tab on the bottom left.

Attachments

#3 ·
Step #3

We now need to scrape the terminals. I use a eye glass screwdriver to scrape the white block. I now lay a piece of electrical tape under the terminal block. You want to scrape the 2nd one from the left (shutter). We now want to scrape the first one to the right (power). Now tin the wire you are going to use. Lay it down on the terminal and lay your iron on top of the wire. The solder will puddle quickly and when you see this remove your iron quickly. Hold the wire in place till the solder hardens. Do this for both wires. I then put another piece of electrical tape on top of the wires to hold them. It help to keep me from pulling them out.

Attachments

#4 ·
Step #4

I now put the front cover on. Hook up the focus ribbon. Attach the ground on the usb hood solder point (picture below). I now put the batteries in and check my hack. I touch the camera on wire to the usb or the attached ground wire. The camera should turn on. If not go back and check your connection on the right. Now when we get it to power on we will check the shutter. We power on the camera and touch the shutter wire to ground or usb hood. It should take a picture. If it doesn`t go back and check the wire on the left. Do this until they both work. If you are doing a 3 wire hack you are done and assemble the camera.

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Step #5

This is the 4 wire hack. After I checked my connections from step #4 I turn the camera on and remove the batteries. The selector tab has to be in the middle. I want the lens out and cover open. Put the selector to the left after the camera batteries were removed. I remove the front cover. I then unsolder the ribbon from the cover motor (pictures below). Tape the ribbon so it will not short out.

Attachments

#6 ·
Step#6

Remove the lens cover motor screw. Lift up on the drive motor so it disengages from the cover gear. Rotate the cover so it disengages from the switch, but the cover needs to be open. Reinstall the drive motor and tighten down.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Step #7

Now we need to solder the wire to the switch we just uncovered. It is the switch to the left and it is the top terminal. This terminal is small. Tin a piece of wire and solder it to the top terminal. I use the Radio Shack cordless soldering iron for this. It is tight and you don`t want a hot iron. We have to be careful when we rout these wires. There are holes on the front cover and we don`t want these wire going in them. They will get smashed and will not let the camera go together. Put the front cover on. Be careful routing the wires.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Step #8

Remove the tripod holder insert from the back cover. There is one screw and it pops out. Route the wires out the hole. Be careful how your route the wires. We don`t want to pull or pinch the wires. Be sure not to get a wire in the screw hole or you can cut it off. Put the lens focus ribbon back in. Install back cover. Install the screws.

Attachments

#9 ·
Step #9

We now want to check the hack. Touch the red wire and ground wire. The camera should power up. If not check the power solder connection. You should get an error. If not there is something wrong with the lens hack. Turn camera off. Now tie the ground together with the lens cover wire. Now touch the power wire with the tied ground wire. The camera should power up without an error. Now touch the tied ground wire with the shutter wire. The camera should take a picture. If not check your shutter wire connection. The one to the left. If it passes these test you are good to go.

Attachments

#10 ·
Step #9

I put shrink tube on the wires to hold them and protect them. Seal up the connection. I make sure I seal up the connection with goop. Things happen when you are checking the camera. If the wire gets pulled the goop will keep it from getting pulled out. It also seals it from moisture. You are now done.

Attachments

#12 ·
Buckshot.....

to the rescue once again. Excellent tutorial, I was thinking of posting one for the S600, as so many have been hitting with PM's.

HEY MODS - 1 vote here for a sticky!!!!!!!

#17 ·
This has nothing to do with the s40 just wanted to let everone know Buckshot sold me an s600 and man what a nice clean 4 wire job stero jack
I feel bad even using the word Hack:wink: thanks Buckshot keep up the good work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.