PDA

View Full Version : Sony S-600 camera hack

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Okay here is a Sony S600 hack. This is based on other hacks. I am in no way claiming to have originated this hack. I hope this helps.

Step #1
Remove the four screws that hold the camera together. Pictures below show the location.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Remove back cover. Then tape the lcd down. This will keep the lcd from flopping around and breaking the lcd ribbon. Remove the power bar screw. Picture below.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Separate the front cover. Be careful there are wires attached. Remove the tripod holder insert by removing the screw. Just pop it out. I then use a #3 unibit to make the hole bigger to put the stereo jack in. You can grind or drill to make it fit.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
We are now ready to solder the power and shutter wires on. Lift up the power bar and separate the board under it. Be careful there is a little tab that holds it. Set the power board aside. The left switch is power on and the right switch is shutter. On the left switch (power) trim a little of the rubber of the upperleft corner. This will give you a spot to solder to. Solder a 30 guage wire to the upper left corner of the switch

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM
We are now ready to solder the shutter wire on. This point is very small and you cannot get solder on the metal frame of the switch. This switch is on the right. We need to solder the wire to the upper left side. There is a very small leg to solder to. Solder a 30 gauge wire to the upper left leg. Run the 2 wires through the hole on the power bar. Reconnect the board to the power bar. Reinstall the power bar to camera. Install the front cover. Make sure the wires are tucked in. Tuck the hack wires behind where the bar screws on. Install power bar screw.

buckeyboy
July 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
nice job buckshot great thread..:wink:

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:45 AM
We will test the hack. Strip the insulation from the end of the 2 wires. Install batteries into the camera. Touch the red wire to the usb hood solder point. The camera should turn on. If it doesn1t check the soldered wire to the left switch. With camera on touch the shutter wire to the usb hood ground. It should take a picture. If it doesn`t check the right switch solder point. Turn camera on and remove the batteries. We now want to clip the lens ground wire, picture at the bottom.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Solder a ground wire to the usb hood.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
The lens cover switch. If you are doing a three wire hack do not do this step. If you are doing a 4 wire hack you will need to cut off the white wire from the board. You will now solder a white wire to where you just cut the white wire from. Route the wires through the tripod hole.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
We now need to solder the wires to the female stereo plug. The long tab is ground. The brass colored tab is lens cover switch or white. The longer of the last two is shutter. The last one is power on. You can check these with a meter. Now insert the stereo jack into the camera with the long tab to the left. Now install the back cover make sure the selector switch and tab are correct. If not sure put them both to the left. Reinstall the case screws.

Tracker15
July 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thank You for creating this post. You're going to help a lot of people out here with their homebrews. I look forward to doing my first one later this year. Again thanks...I'll be saving this thread!

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
We will test our hack. Insert the stereo plug. Insert batteries. Now we want to touch the power on or red wire with the silver wire or ground. The camera should turn on and give an error to turn the camera off. If not check your connections to the plug and work back to the switch. Turn camera off. Now tie the silver wire or ground to the white wire or lens cover switch. Now touch the Red wire to the silver wire and the camera should turn on without a error. Now touch the shutter wire or yellow wire to the silver wire and it should take a picture. If it doesn`t you will need to check a few things. Check the stereo jack. Check the shutter switch. If you get solder on the metal switch frame the shutter will not work. Check to make sure you still have a connection. This completes your hack.

buckshot164
July 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Please post any other tips on the S600 hack. Someone may have a better way.

yoda4x4
July 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Another awesome post as usual Charles!

David

mn5503
July 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Good tutorial buck:wink:

skeeter5
July 28th, 2008, 08:33 AM
ttt CAn we get a sticky Please??????

buckshot164
August 24th, 2008, 04:38 AM
ttt

buckshot164
September 24th, 2008, 04:16 PM
ttt

bucknaked333
September 24th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks buckshot I looked for this all day, I have been working on this since 8 this morning, The yeti site needs your instuctions, there's is crap!!! I shocked my self 3 times on the flash deal, WOW is that a shock, my arm is still sore. I have 8 trail cams a there all store bought junk and want to try a home brew, I was taking a break when you bumped this, Thanks, looks like I got to do some rewiring, I even had a buddy look things over a he was confused, Damm yeti, man my fingure is burnt, no kidding, it must be 10000 volts, my fingure turned black in two spots..

buckshot164
September 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
The best thing is to do is put some electrical tape over the solder point for the capacitor. Just don`t touch those solder points.

Stanley
September 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Very useful. Thanks

Grand River Zip
September 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I love the s600! I should complete a new build of one tonight, and put it out tomorrow. It'll be the first one I have done with the stereo plug.

Giving each of those solder contacts a bit of a scraping before soldering is the key in my opinion. I do use the 4th wire for the lens, and I actually remove the lens motor and wires completely. I glue the doors open to be sure they don't close. It just gives a bit more room.

The external battery supply hack is also VERY easy as long as you have the camera open. You need to remove the front cover, and the 2 larger solder points are on the right side, I can't recall off hand which is pos, which is negative...

buckshot164
January 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Can we make this a sticky.

Gadestroyer74
January 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Hey at mods sticky this please we need to be able to find it easy for us idiots or in other words electronic illerate

grizzlyman
January 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Can we make this a sticky.

+1 :darkbeer:

12-Ringer
January 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Once again - a nice job!

SERBIANSHARK
January 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
This hack doesn't disable the shutter. Do you have a play by play on that hack also? It speeds the cam up by 1/2 a second.

Nice work on the play by play with pics.:teeth:

buckshot164
January 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
You just cut the ground wire to the motor. First turn on the camera. Take the batteries out. This should have the lens cover open. Now cut the ground wire to the lens cover motor. Tape it up and tuck it away.

Gadestroyer74
January 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
there is a pdf file on whitetailsupply.com that that shows you the hack and the shutter one also

Gadestroyer74
January 12th, 2009, 02:00 PM
You just cut the ground wire to the motor. First turn on the camera. Take the batteries out. This should have the lens cover open. Now cut the ground wire to the lens cover motor. Tape it up and tuck it away.
also dont the camera have to be powered on so the lens will be extended and then cut the wire ?

buckshot164
January 12th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Your better off turning on the camera and taking the batteries out. This should have the lens extended. It is more impartant that the lens cover is open.

Gadestroyer74
January 12th, 2009, 02:14 PM
oh ok i see that makes better sense so u dont get shocked i could see that how have u been charles u busy working on things how is work ? mine sucks i think the economy is gonna kill us all, also what do we have to do to get these hacks for these cameras stickied dont the mods come in here anymore or have we fell off into cyberworld?

buckshot164
January 12th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Maybe they can`t find us here. No you going to get socked whether the batteries are in there or not. It does lesson the chance of shorting something out.

Gadestroyer74
January 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
oh boy i cant wait ! !

LetThemGrow
January 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Great post...looking forward to trying the S600 in the woods!

SERBIANSHARK
January 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Maybe they can`t find us here. No you going to get socked whether the batteries are in there or not. It does lesson the chance of shorting something out.

why would i get shocked at all while cutting that wire to the motor?

buckshot164
January 13th, 2009, 10:58 PM
You shouldn`t. But if you touch the wrong place you will find out.

SERBIANSHARK
January 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
What size tip do you use on you iron. And what temp are you using?

buckshot164
January 16th, 2009, 01:24 AM
I`m using a cheap 10 wat iron from radio shack. It has a small tip. I also have a soldering statioin that I use when temps are critical. I also have a cheap battery iron from Radio Shack that is good for field repairs. I think it is 7wat. I also use it to do the lens cover switch because it fits better.

SERBIANSHARK
January 16th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I think we own the same soldering station. what do have it set for when your using that one?

buckshot164
January 17th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I am sorry for missing this but on step #6 the last picture it shows me cutting the black wire to the lens cover motor. It is very important to follow the steps. Please ask question so others might get the answer to their questions.

bbahunter
January 21st, 2009, 10:12 AM
Buckshot,

When doing the 4 wire fast hack, the camera will not work as a stand alone camera correct?
It will only take pictures hooked up to the board, correct?
Thanks

bbahunter
January 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Found my answer on the yeti site.:darkbeer:

buckshot164
January 21st, 2009, 01:58 PM
You could make a plug out of a stereo wire. Just connect the camera lens wire with the common.

Alandale Archer
January 22nd, 2009, 09:55 PM
Are there any tutorials showing how to do external batteries? I can find them for the P41. Are they simular?

bbahunter
January 22nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
here you go:http://www.bfoutdoors.com/PDFS/Sony%20P41%20modification%20wi th%20external%20power.pdf

SERBIANSHARK
January 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
Is there a pictured "how to" for the externals for the s600? I want to run a two or 4 aa alkaline external set-up for a back up to the internal 2 aa enloops in the s600.

Also...where do you guys buy your extra lage bulk foam from.

buckshot164
January 23rd, 2009, 02:57 AM
I thought I had done one but I can`t find it. It is easy to do. You can call me if you want and I can explain it to you.

mightymite45
January 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
can the s650 be hacked the same way as the s600,the lens and shutter,that is?

buckshot164
January 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I have never done a s650. Anyone else.

sirrobinhood
January 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
ttt

buckshot164
May 14th, 2009, 12:52 PM
ttt

shooter22
May 20th, 2009, 02:51 AM
HEY MODERATORS! STICKY WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Sorry for caps, but it gets kind agrivating trying to find a needle in a haystack so to speek.

Kevin

shooter22
May 23rd, 2009, 04:22 AM
hey, Buckshot? Since I am goiong to have the S600 I bought on Ebay apart to put in the new screen, how much more is involved to finish the hack for the 600? I have not really studied the hack indepth. I do now have a good magnifing set up and a new soldering iron with smaller tips. I would not hesitate to send my camera to Stan or you as I know both do excellent work. Stan has my P-41 working like a charm. But know that I have the peoper equipment I would like to give this hack a try. I have a pic by pic of the change for the LCD.

One of my questions is what is the Shutter and/or the Lens extension hack? is it worth the 2.5 or so esecond gain> I think the quieter operation would be nice. With the S600 I will not be using the camera for other use other than in this game camera. So what type of hack would be best? still go with the stereo or go with a wire? Still learning a lot, I hope you all dont mind the questions.

Kevin

buckshot164
May 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
The lcd is not bad to change out. You will need to resolder 2 power wires to it. You have everything to do the hack. It is not that hard just small. Routing the wires can be as difficult as the hack itself. The power is not to bad but the shutter can burn you. It is small and you can`t get solder on the metal shell. So if you tin you wire and put just enough heat to it you will be good. The better you can see the better chance of everything going good. I like the stereo hack better, but costs a few dollars more to do. The wires can be a paan. If you don`t have them routed right you may not be able to power on the camera or shutter a picture manually. I use 30 gauge wire for this hack.

buckshot164
July 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
ttt

IroquoisArcher
July 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I think we own the same soldering station. what do have it set for when your using that one?

Wondering about this too. I know when I was there you said you use a 10 watt iron but what about the soldering stations? What temperatures is everyone using so I don't fry anything.:mg:

buckshot164
July 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I think I was about 50%. It also depends on what I am soldering.

IroquoisArcher
July 5th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I think I was about 50%. It also depends on what I am soldering.

LOL, not trying to be funny, but 50% of what temp? My station goes up to 700+ degrees I guess. Usually I get the solder to seem to flow consistently around 540 to 560 degrees. Is this too high?

buckshot164
July 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I don`t have these answers. I am sure there is a guide to them. I try to keep my iron as cool as I can and still do the job. It depends on the solder being used. I do not use a tempature controlled iron. Mine has intensity. In fact I use a 10 watt iron for most of my soldering. A 30 watt iron in a camera can melt the ribbon just by being close. I am sure you could get a better answer at www.hagshouse.com

IroquoisArcher
July 6th, 2009, 09:25 AM
I know you answered my question whe I was there but was kinda wondering if someone else had an answer. Have a 15 watt iron but it has a larger tip so will play around. Thanks again for the advise.:thumbs_up

buckshot164
July 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
You can file down the tip to get it to what you want.

IroquoisArcher
July 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
You can file down the tip to get it to what you want.

Thanx, was wondering that.

CuttnRun
July 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Excellent tutorial Buck. Thank you very much. Tim

buckshot164
December 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71robSP7TIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjjDMTHLp2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsoqcVHcU38

buckshot164
December 17th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Does anyone use this sticky

ouchmyeye
December 18th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have looked it over and found it will be of great help when I find a S600 to hack! So I hope the sticky stays. Thanks, Ben

Alandale Archer
December 18th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I have hacked about 8 S600's now but still use it as a reference as to which posts on the female stereo plug to solder the wires to. I have this info documented now as well.