PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Hanes, spot and stalk antelope.

woodrow
August 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I know we've all had about enough of the "did you see this" or "what did you think about that" threads. Sorry, but I can't help myself on this one. First of all, if you've ever watched or read anything about Cameron, you know the guys a stud. I had one of the Eastmans hunting shows recorded on my DVR. I went home from work early yesturday and had a chance to catch up on a few of my favorite hunting shows. Eastmans is my all time favorite, but this one in particular was awsome. He had like 15 stalks in two days before he finally connected on the buck he ended up taking. He could have sat over water in a ground blind, but instead chose to take his goat the old fashioned way, spot and stalk. Anyway, did anyone else catch it? Cameron is a bad azz.

Bobmuley
August 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I know we've all had about enough of the "did you see this" or "what did you think about that" threads. Sorry, but I can't help myself on this one. First of all, if you've ever watched or read anything about Cameron, you know the guys a stud. I had one of the Eastmans hunting shows recorded on my DVR. I went home from work early yesturday and had a chance to catch up on a few of my favorite hunting shows. Eastmans is my all time favorite, but this one in particular was awsome. He had like 15 stalks in two days before he finally connected on the buck he ended up taking. He could have sat over water in a ground blind, but instead chose to take his goat the old fashioned way, spot and stalk. Anyway, did anyone else catch it? Cameron is a bad azz.Just a minor technicality; but, it was more like spot, blow stalk, run like heck and shoot.:wink:

manboy
August 5th, 2008, 04:08 PM
i didn't see the show, but i can't believe how many guys just sit in a blind for goats, i mean you can see for miles. spot and stalk on gaots is way more fun, and can be pretty easy if you are patiant enough!:rolleyes:

woodrow
August 5th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Just a minor technicality; but, it was more like spot, blow stalk, run like heck and shoot.:wink:

Sorry to throw this out there but, I've never read any threads by Bobmuley about him killing a P&Y goat while hunting spot and stalk.......

Donnicles
August 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry to throw this out there but, I've never read any threads by Bobmuley about him killing a P&Y goat while hunting spot and stalk.......

ooowwwnnned

J-Daddy
August 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Good show, I DVR'd it too....I had seen it before. Cam stuck with it and shot a nice goat.

Bobmuley
August 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Sorry to throw this out there but, I've never read any threads by Bobmuley about him killing a P&Y goat while hunting spot and stalk.......Did you hear him talk about, "Didn't go quite the way we planned..." (paraphrased)? Which just goes to show why he's a good hunter. He didn't give up. At the point at which most would give in to the easier decision and quit, he ran to the top of the hill. His intent was to spot and stalk, but as any good hunter he took what was available. Just like when he sat in a tree in Alaska over bait; he goes for the method that he thinks is best at the time.:)

Just because I'm not pretty enough to have my own show doesn't mean I've never done it.:wink:

a3dhunter
August 5th, 2008, 04:59 PM

What's that got to do with it?

Do you just want to "hero worship" or talk about the hunt?:confused:

I didn't see it, if he did blow the stalk and take off running, then by chance get a shot off to kill it then he was lucky.

He may have created his luck, but still just lucky.

I have never hunted speed goats and haven't had a big desire to do so, most of the area I see them in is dry and hot, two things I don't like.

woodrow
August 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM
What's that got to do with it?

Do you just want to "hero worship" or talk about the hunt?:confused:

I didn't see it, if he did blow the stalk and take off running, then by chance get a shot off to kill it then he was lucky.

He may have created his luck, but still just lucky.

I have never hunted speed goats and haven't had a big desire to do so, most of the area I see them in is dry and hot, two things I don't like.

Ya, pretty much just wanted to hero worship. I like the guy alot. The more I watch him, the more I like him. Seems like he'd be a cool guy to hunt with.

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

RxBowhunter
August 5th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cameron Hanes is a stud fo sho! One of my favorite "hunting celebs". I kind of hate that term because to me.........they are just good guys that happen to film/write/produce their hunts. I can't say I idealize anyone.

Luck comes to those that create it. I tagged my first turkey because I was willing to belly crawl into position and wait for a clear shot. The birds weren't "behaving" so I made something happen. I see Cameron running into position as creating his own luck.........and not giving up :thumb:

Bobmuley
August 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Ya, pretty much just wanted to hero worship. I like the guy alot. The more I watch him, the more I like him. Seems like he'd be a cool guy to hunt with.

Sorry Bob, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.Honestly, the only reason I pointed out the difference is because it seems more and more lately that spot and stalk has been referred to as anything that isn't done from a treestand or doublebull blind. No problem at all and please, feel free to speak your mind (within the AT rules of course).:):darkbeer:

woodrow
August 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Honestly, the only reason I pointed out the difference is because it seems more and more lately that spot and stalk has been referred to as anything that isn't done from a treestand or doublebull blind. No problem at all and please, feel free to speak your mind (within the AT rules of course).:):darkbeer:

I agree. "Spot and stalk" has become a generalized term, but on the same note, a lot of guys wouldn't know the meaning of "still hunting" or some of the other terms that it has replaced.

dieseldon
August 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Hanes for President:)

AERO63
August 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Woodrow...I've got respect for Mr. Hanes for sure, so don't get me wrong, but killing a pronghorn on the ground isn't exactly the toughest bowhunting task. It seems impossibly tough on paper, and it's definitely not "easy", but I can say that if you fill your elk tag this year (I've been watching and listening :wink:) that's way further up there in my book!!!

Rack Tracker
August 5th, 2008, 06:28 PM
"Adapt and overcome". Rule to live by out West . I've had more than one spot and stalk hunt turn into a still hunt cause I didn't know where that #$%^ critter was bedded that I spotted a ways off.

My Favorite is Spot and Wait...That sucker should be coming this way.....

Then there is the "bail off the horse and try to get a shot". Kinda the road hunting of the backcountry. Works good though.

Or there is the "get pinned down by the female until the male critter comes to check out what she is all worked up about"

Or the "run up to the ridge where your buddy spotted a critter so you can take the shot" method.

My usual MO is the "walk over the ridge and skyline myself and spook every living critter out of the basin so I can tell if there really is anything there...Oh yeah, there they go, a mile away, guess there are deer here."

Truth is you get out there and hunt, rather than follow a script. You make things happen, you take the initiative, you screw up and then get after it again. It's hard to give it a name...

ELITE@LAST
August 5th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Cameron Hanes is my boy.... i like Guy Eastman too. they're one of the few big name guys that will actually return emails and give insightful responses and suggestions, not to mention tons of encouragement.

fred eichler is on that list too for what it's worth.

WYelkhunter
August 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Cameron Hanes is my boy.... i like Guy Eastman too. they're one of the few big name guys that will actually return emails and give insightful responses and suggestions, not to mention tons of encouragement.

fred eichler is on that list too for what it's worth.

I have never met any of those guys but they are about the only hunting shows I watch. Would like to meet them someday.

a3dhunter
August 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
"Adapt and overcome". Rule to live by out West . I've had more than one spot and stalk hunt turn into a still hunt cause I didn't know where that #$%^ critter was bedded that I spotted a ways off.

My Favorite is Spot and Wait...That sucker should be coming this way.....

Then there is the "bail off the horse and try to get a shot". Kinda the road hunting of the backcountry. Works good though.

Or there is the "get pinned down by the female until the male critter comes to check out what she is all worked up about"

Or the "run up to the ridge where your buddy spotted a critter so you can take the shot" method.

My usual MO is the "walk over the ridge and skyline myself and spook every living critter out of the basin so I can tell if there really is anything there...Oh yeah, there they go, a mile away, guess there are deer here."

Truth is you get out there and hunt, rather than follow a script. You make things happen, you take the initiative, you screw up and then get after it again. It's hard to give it a name...

I have to say all this is funny....and true!:tongue:

I now know I'm not the only one that has had this stuff happen to him.:rolleyes::darkbeer:

ELITE@LAST
August 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I have never met any of those guys but they are about the only hunting shows I watch. Would like to meet them someday.

i've talked to Guy a couple times and he's returned numerous emails. Cameron has also returned emails. good guys in my book.

D. Lane
August 5th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have to say all this is funny....and true!:tongue:

I now know I'm not the only one that has had this stuff happen to him.:rolleyes::darkbeer:
For those of us that chase everything around, allot of funny stuff happens. That's why its so fun. I think you guys are right there. Sure, you may not always stick to the text book definition of the hunting styles, and may have to mix them up a bit, but that makes it even more fun and exciting. Playing it by ear and making your luck can have allot to to with it. Thumbs up!!

cdmorten
August 5th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Cameron's a stud. He's a great hunter with a lot of persistence. For those who don't know much about him, he's also a stud marathoner and ultra marathoner.

orduckhunter
August 6th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I just watched this episode - it fueled my fire for bowhunting antelope.
Fortunately, I leave in two weeks (from tomorrow morning) for our group hunt in Wyoming!
I also enjoy watching Cam, as well as the rest of the Eastman guys. I've also been to one of Cam's seminars, and it's obvious he can hunt.

DesignedToHunt
August 6th, 2008, 12:34 AM
I just made a post about this episode myself because I did not see this one lol..................

I very rarely watch Eastman's Hunting TV simply because I don't hunt where or what they do. Tonight however there was nothing else on so I decided to tune in and see what it was all about. In the second half of the show Hanes was chasing elk in Wyoming (I believe) and he came to full draw on a nice bull. Well, the man is a STUD.... plain and simple because the bull sure took his good old time presenting him with a shot and Cameron remained at full draw the entire time; I never even saw him twitch lol

I've heard a lot of talk about him on here but I never really bothered to do any research. That being said I think I just added another person to the list of promotional hunters that I can respect :darkbeer: