PDA

View Full Version : Every deer down in 30 yards!

Shelby
August 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Is anybody else amazed that alot of hunters on here have EVERY SINGLE deer die within 30 yards and with 100% perfect hits EVERYTIME?

Am I the only one that when I do make a perfect hit, and certainly not everytime, that most of my deer still run 50-100 yards or maybe a little more?

I'm not trying to call anybody a liar because I know it can happen (deer only running 30 yards) once in a while, but every single time?

brodie1978
August 12th, 2008, 12:38 PM
im with you...most the deer i've killed have run farther than 30 yards even with a good kill shot...hell a deer can probably cover 20 feet in one stride when running...

Nichko
August 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Just like fishing, ego freaks will stretch the truth!! :darkbeer:

promod1385
August 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Heck yes i am amazed! If you spine shoot them they will usually drop right in there tracks! Thats the shot i am practicing up on!

Double Dee
August 12th, 2008, 12:40 PM
When you have perfected the Art of Zen Bowhunting, you will have achieved the ability to perform the perfect shot everytime, thus having the deer expire within 30 yards.

bowhuntermn
August 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Doesn't everybody make perfect shots on deer like I do? :wink:

I'm with everyother normal hunter. I've had some go 20 yards and I've had others go 200 yards plus. Some shots were great, others not so good. The key is to know when to back out and wait and if in doubt, do it anyways.

Hickory Creek Stalker
August 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
85-90 Yards.
Shot in both lungs and heart.

Tom_in_CT
August 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
yeah i've noticed that as well. I've had single lung hits run over a hundred yards....for that matter i've had double lung hits run 100 yards. I'll fess up, not all of the deer I shoot die like zeus struck them with a lightning bolt :(

CHAMPION2
August 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Not mine!:confused: Sometimes they go 20 yards and expire, the next time 200 yards even when fatally wounded thru the vitals. Every deer is different and you never know what to expect!!

Redemption
August 12th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, but it does happen. I've had them take a couple steps and fall over but usually they run from 30 to 200 yards.

IA Monsterbuck
August 12th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Obviously you're not shooting a fast enough bow. It's all about arrow speed you know....

:behindsof

Rkhunter01
August 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
:darkbeer::zip:could be the broadhead your using, mine brings em down pretty quick

buckeyboy
August 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ive been hunting long enough that when folks talk that talk time to go put my hip boots on.. these are the same guys who never lost a deer..:rolleyes:

z-man02
August 12th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have noticed that this has become particularly popular with those that shoot the rage broadheads, and need to convince everyone of how deadly they are.:wink: I rarely have deer shot with a bow run less than 50 yds, I don't care what head your using or how good a shot you lay down. A sprinting deer will cover 50 yds in mere seconds, and even a good shot will not put a deer down imediately. Maybe they all shoot deer that don't run but prefer to jog, or walk briskly after the shot.

maniac9230
August 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Heck yes i am amazed! If you spine shoot them they will usually drop right in there tracks! Thats the shot i am practicing up on!

Good luck on that buddy.

SEOBowhntr
August 12th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I've had them fall at all sort of distances, from 18yds to 220 yds, the ones that were hit GOOD, 18-130yds, the 220 was a gutshot that disemboweled the deer, and caused some MAJOR bleeding in the process. Even my big buck that I shot STRAIGHT THROUGH THE HEART ran 50!!!

Red Fletch
August 12th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Not mine!:confused: Sometimes they go 20 yards and expire, the next time 200 yards even when fatally wounded thru the vitals. Every deer is different and you never know what to expect!!

I've had them circle back and die under me never knowing I was there. That was neat, but not the usual case. They have dropped on the spot also (spine shot). Last year I was 8 for 12 on kill shots with two complete misses (one was bad distance calculation on a hillside the other was a big buck that jumped instead of ducking). She came back and I hit her and found her about 200+ yards in the creek bed.

O' I mean I have never missed or injured a deer...:rolleyes:

All4Huntin
August 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I have had both...and the funny thing is that the BEST hits seem to go a little longer. Had them fall within 30 yards and some 120-130 yards. It is all in the drive of the deer. They either get on that DEATH RUN and do not stop, or they run a short distance and lay down. Personally, I think that it is up to the deer on what it does, not the broadheads or the bow.. In my opinion...

Rancid Crabtree
August 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I do not mean to sound boastful but I almost always have deer drop within eyesight of where I hit them. I have harvested 35 deer with a bow but I have never taken a shot past 18 yards. Most of my shots are about 10 yards and I only take shots that are broadside or only the slightest bit quartering. All the shots are either double lung or double lung and heart with complete pass thru. These deer don't know what hit them and they trot off 30 to 50 yards and stop to figure out what happened. That is where they typically fall. I have had two deer escape me after the hit in 31 years of Bowhunting so I don't claim that every shot is spot on.

Bobmuley
August 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think alot of it has to do with the animals awareness to a threat before the shot. Alot of those critters that didn't know a threat was in the area die over very short distances. Some of them didn't even react much to the arrow (particularly elk).

Those critters that had me eyeballed at the shot seem to go further nearly everytime.

jcsanders79-xt
August 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Well most fall within eyesight but under 30 yards EVERY time is a little hard to believe. Haven't seen alot of post indidcating it common though:confused:

dogg3250
August 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Shot a fork one year that I swore I missed it just stood there after the shot for 10 to 15 sec then walked off about ten yards and did a nose plant.. I guess my normal recovery is 50-200 yards. I am just happy if I can hear them go down

tnts79
August 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I have only been hunting for 4 years,(not long compared to some of you veterans) few years of on and off target shooting before that. I have never had to track a deer that I shot more than 60 yards. Some of my buddies have hit deer marginally, be it, high, low, too far back, in the shoulder etc... thats when the 150+ yard tracking jobs come from. A double lung hit should give the deer less than 10 seconds of oxygen, usually between 6-8, then you hear a crash.... I am standing by my claim that if you take out both lungs the deer won't make it 100 yards, until I am proven wrong by personal experience (learn by doing) I will continue to believe that! Sharp broadheads, decent shot angle, enough penetration, anywhere within a 6" circle will destroy a whitetails ability to take in oxygen. :elch::archer:

tnts79
August 12th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I think alot of it has to do with the animals awareness to a threat before the shot. Alot of those critters that didn't know a threat was in the area die over very short distances. Some of them didn't even react much to the arrow (particularly elk).

Those critters that had me eyeballed at the shot seem to go further nearly everytime.

Good point, adrenalin goes a long way!

sbooy42
August 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe we should start measuring it in time... IMO 10- 20 seconds
A deer can run a long ways in 10 seconds or not run at all...
A gut shot deer may only go 80 yards before lying down to expire hours later...

AERO63
August 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Mine usually run right down the mountain and into the back of my truck!!! :tongue: It is interesting to hear all the stories on here...I'm with everyone else, most are probably true, some are definitely not.

SEWIBuckHunter
August 12th, 2008, 01:27 PM

I agree 100%:darkbeer:

Beamen123
August 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Ive been hunting long enough that when folks talk that talk time to go put my hip boots on.. these are the same guys who never lost a deer..:rolleyes:

x2 :wink:

BowhntrOma
August 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I have had all different distances. Some die within a few yards other run dead. I had a doe that was shot through both lungs and the heart go almost two hundred yards. The blood trail was incredible. The adrenaline must of kept her going because she was out of blood.

archeryhunterME
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I've had them take 5 steps, look around and tip over, then I have double lunged them and trail them for 200 yards, and a heart shot 80-100 yards!. Every animal is different but I would call BS for someone to get EVERY deer to go down in 30 yards or less, unless you somehow anchored them to the ground with your arrow:tongue:

blong04
August 12th, 2008, 02:31 PM
There are a lot of internet "superstars" out there. For example, on other hunting sites I go to it seems as if everyone can shoot 1" 5-shot groups at 200 yds with their deer rifles. It is amusing to read...

CHAMPION2
August 12th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Lot of superstars hanging right here on AT as well.:eek: Shooting fist size groups at 70 yards with there bows.:eek:

There are a lot of internet "superstars" out there. For example, on other hunting sites I go to it seems as if everyone can shoot 1" 5-shot groups at 200 yds with their deer rifles. It is amusing to read...

Blanchje
August 12th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Why would you want every deer to drop within 30 yards? I wait until the deer is facing the direction of my truck and place my shot according to the distance. Sheesh...:humble:

easy e
August 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM

x2 - People trying to get ego trips by going onto this forum and brag about how they're a pro when in realty they're just like the rest of us

deerhunter81
August 12th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I have had deer run/walk anywhere from 3yds to 250yds to falling right over. Last year was a good year.....had a 8pt take 3 steps and fall over.....had a doe take about 10 steps and fall over (neither even ran!)! The spike I shot ran about 40 yds full speed......................... ..then smacked a tree head-on!!!:mg: That was awesome to watch! That tree must have stepped right out in front of him!!!:wink:

bigrackHack
August 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Just wait until October. Every other thread will be "Perfect shot and can't find my deer! Must be the mechanicals!!"

We'll all be yearning for those "deer fell in 30 yards" threads. :D

deadquiet
August 12th, 2008, 02:57 PM
I have only been hunting for 4 years,(not long compared to some of you veterans) few years of on and off target shooting before that. I have never had to track a deer that I shot more than 60 yards. Some of my buddies have hit deer marginally, be it, high, low, too far back, in the shoulder etc... thats when the 150+ yard tracking jobs come from. A double lung hit should give the deer less than 10 seconds of oxygen, usually between 6-8, then you hear a crash.... I am standing by my claim that if you take out both lungs the deer won't make it 100 yards, until I am proven wrong by personal experience (learn by doing) I will continue to believe that! Sharp broadheads, decent shot angle, enough penetration, anywhere within a 6" circle will destroy a whitetails ability to take in oxygen. :elch::archer:

I believe this as well. So, it depends on what they do in that 8 seconds or so that determines the distance. I have had deer jump and lick the blood off the arrow that just went through them and die right there. I have had them hit a land speed record and cover over 100 yards in that same 8 seconds too.

Then I believe (like Bobmuley) the mood of the deer AND where you hit them has to be factored in as well. If you don't hit a large bone sometimes (IMO) they don't feel the pain and don't realize what happened....if you hit a leg, spine, or shoulder the trauma is felt and they will bolt if they can.

Then you have the people that think they got both lungs and only got one, a liver, etc...So you have to factor that in too. But like TNT79 said and I agree after shooting over 100 deer if you hit BOTH lungs they won't live over about 8 seconds.....but again it is what they do in that 8 seconds that puts them where you find them.

BeachBow
August 12th, 2008, 03:00 PM
When you have perfected the Art of Zen Bowhunting, you will have achieved the ability to perform the perfect shot everytime, thus having the deer expire within 30 yards.

:ROFLMAO:

I'm gonna go practice my chanting now!! :tongue:

tnts79
August 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Just wait until October. Every other thread will be "Perfect shot and can't find my deer! Must be the mechanicals!!"

We'll all be yearning for those "deer fell in 30 yards" threads. :D

Does the membership on this site tend to increase after the first week of deer season?? All the newbs looking for tips on finding their wounded deer...?

Red Fletch
August 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Every animal is different but I would call BS for someone to get EVERY deer to go down in 30 yards or less, unless you somehow anchored them to the ground with your arrow:tongue:

I can only get the Fawns pinned to the ground. The other deer are just to big...:wink:

XXLnevermis
August 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM
The last deer I hit was through both lungs with 4220 Ft. Lbs. of KE and it ran about 150 yards before it dropped.

Probably because my 180 gr. 300 RUM was going so fast it didn't expand one bit and only made a 0.3" entrance hole and only slightly larger exit hole.

So even with all this KE, I still can't say that I've dropped every deer within 30 yards.

Oh..........This was before I took up archery. I've worked my way down to 92 ft. lbs. of KE and a whole lot more fun!

RxBowhunter
August 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Is anybody else amazed that alot of hunters on here have EVERY SINGLE deer die within 30 yards and with 100% perfect hits EVERYTIME?

Am I the only one that when I do make a perfect hit, and certainly not everytime, that most of my deer still run 50-100 yards or maybe a little more?

I'm not trying to call anybody a liar because I know it can happen (deer only running 30 yards) once in a while, but every single time?

The vast majority of the deer I've shot travel 70-150 yards. When I started shooting 3 blade spitfire 100gr broadheads I noticed a pattern. Ultra short blood trails that were 25-35 yards (~12 deer). My KS buck last year travelled close to 200 yards before expiring and he was shot with a G5 Striker. That's not indicative of the effectiveness of the striker though since it was an extreme quartering away shot and I hit the off shoulder preventing a passthru.

EVERY deer? No way!

hoytbadass08
August 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM
ive only had one in five with a bow die within 30 yards and all five were double lung.

Mallardbreath
August 12th, 2008, 05:54 PM
My average is probably 80 yards. Sometimes when they don't realize what happened, they just stand after a couple bounds and keel over. Most the time they run like hell till there dead.

Shouldernuke!
August 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I have had double lunged deer stop stumble and fall in 20 yards and I have had the same shot go 100 yards + .So its ok that not all your deer drop in 30 yards!

I supose when you have only shot a deer or two that weigh in at 50 pounds and they didn't go but 30 yards that would count as all the deer that they have shot !! Just a thought lol:wink:

hobbs4421
August 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I agree with ya. I have had perfect hits and the deer go anywear from 30 to 100 yards. I think some people are dishonest when they say that all their deer die within 30 yrds. Or maybe they have just killed a few deer and 100 % died within sight.

JCbowhunter
August 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Last year i shot 2 deer one went about 40 yards, the other about 90. Both double lunged.

I think IMO alot of people do more hunting on this sight than they do in the woods...... Beileve half of what you see on the internet. Im sure alot of deer do only go 30 - 40 yards, but alot go farther....

That bring up something, it seems people with fewer post on this sight are "looked down on" :tongue:

I dont know.... its like just because someone has 40 post, people think that he/she is not as good of a archer/hunter as someone with 11,000 post.:eek:

sorry lol, just talking to myself

Lonestar63
August 12th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have noticed that this has become particularly popular with those that shoot the rage broadheads, and need to convince everyone of how deadly they are.:wink: I rarely have deer shot with a bow run less than 50 yds, I don't care what head your using or how good a shot you lay down. A sprinting deer will cover 50 yds in mere seconds, and even a good shot will not put a deer down imediately. Maybe they all shoot deer that don't run but prefer to jog, or walk briskly after the shot.

It's your bow z-man.
Most of us are good at killing deer. You just Hoyt em. :tongue:

bing
August 12th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Brad Paisley " Online". Fits alot on here

JCbowhunter
August 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Brad Paisley " Online". Fits alot on here

well said :wink:

Whispers Death
August 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I like to see them go down....but that can be 30-150 yards where I hunt. Furthest I have trailed was 1/4 mile or better. Shortest was 5 yards with a zwickey Delta two blade. The deer flinched....walked two steps...started eating acorns again and fell over.

If you watch hunting videos very much, you'll find they almost always run out of sight and if not most are more than 30 yards. I really enjoy it when they shoot the deer and it runs out of sight and when they track it with the camera, they say "wow...he didn't go twenty yards after the shot. I've only lost one deer ever and it was the first deer I ever shot (knock on wood). I was 16 years old and it was a razorback 5 on a 2216 XX75 at 8 yards. I thought I hit him good but it must have been to low. We lost his trail after about a hundred yards and looked for the rest of the day and the next day until noon. Never found another sign.

postpostban
August 12th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I've taken 5 deer. Two dropped in place, two ran less than 30 yards, one was poorly shot and ran off, never to be found. What difference does it meka?

bow111
August 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM
i have only had 4 or 5 that ran that or less. those that say they they all die within 30 yds probably have only shot one or two deer

BCBhunter
August 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Shot a buck quartering away cut the top of his heart off and blasted both lungs, still ran 150 yards and through our creek!!!

BingoFlyer
August 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I would like to say the every deer I've shot traveled only 30 yards but I can't. I think that about 35% of them do and almost all of them within 100 yards but I have had to track marginally shot deer up to 1/4 mile.

sahrpshooter
August 12th, 2008, 08:40 PM

now we know why people stress good shots!

ofashea
August 12th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I suspect that those fast kills (30 yards or less) result is what I call submission bias. We all want to share a great shot story with our friends and when this novelty gets old we find new people to tell like those here on AT. Poor shots are humiliating and therefore mentioned less. I missed a very nice buck a few days ago because I misjudged the distance because of fog. Yes, there is fog on the coast in California in the summer. It should also be noted that some deer are smaller and a well placed shot will result in a faster kill. My last two coastal blacktail didn't run very far in fact one ran 20 yards, turned ran 20 more and died almost where I arrowed him. The broahead severed the pulmonary artery from the heart.
Thirty yard kills are real and congrats to all who get them regardless of your hunting prowess.

Slowen

Leftydave
August 12th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I use spitfires and out of the 9 that I killed with them the furthest went 50 yards . The shortest was a pretty severe quartering away shot at 23 yards , no deflection ,sliced about 5 inches with one blade before going thru hitting the opposite shoulder. That dear dropped right there and I watched it expire ,couldn't believe it.

sneak1413
August 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Most of my deer run from 30-100 yards that i have previously shot. Most of these deer have been shot from a treestand and did not know what hit them. I have had 1 go about 250 yards on a marginal shot(i left the scene 10 minutes after the shot and the deer was gone and came back the next morning), i have had another one go about 200, and another go about 150 yards. All other deer i have harvested have been 100 yards or less. two of the 3 of my longest recoveries where with deer shot on the ground and where alert. good shot placement does a lot. all of these shots where with both mechanicals and fixed blade heads with very little difference in the recovery distance. one of my fixed heads actually seems to bring them down the quickest.

Shelby
August 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I use spitfires and out of the 9 that I killed with them the furthest went 50 yards . The shortest was a pretty severe quartering away shot at 23 yards , no deflection ,sliced about 5 inches with one blade before going thru hitting the opposite shoulder. That dear dropped right there and I watched it expire ,couldn't believe it.

Now these are the posts I'm talking about. 9 deer and ALL going LESS than 50 yards? Just hard to believe all going less than 50 yards when typically they will run 50-150 yards on most lethal hits.

Red Fletch
August 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Now these are the posts I'm talking about. 9 deer and ALL going LESS than 50 yards? Just hard to believe all going less than 50 yards when typically they will run 50-150 yards on most lethal hits.

:darkbeer:

BCBhunter
August 12th, 2008, 10:24 PM

You start to wonder how good people are at judging yardage? :) :darkbeer:

Leftydave
August 12th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Shelby you don't have to believe me because I know it happened. :)

Leftydave
August 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Shelby you don't have to believe me because I know it happened. :), However I lost 2 deer that I did shoot and lost. I have no reason to lie.

KO_32
August 12th, 2008, 11:00 PM
:darkbeer::zip:could be the broadhead your using, mine brings em down pretty quick
I generally don't invest in these type discussions cause theyre wide open to opinion. When I was using steelforce venom's BHs I dropped 5 deer "4 bucks" within 20yds of the stand I don't attribute it to perfect shots but to perfect broadheads. The venoms are scalpel sharp and super streamline and can slip through with out startling the buck. The switchblade mechanical BHs punch a deer real hard and can cause it to run more than a hundred yds before it expires.
Like I say its open to interpretation. BHs are a compromise between accuracy and cutting power. It is possible if you use certain BHs at close range from a powerful bow they will fall within 30yds.
KO_32

Refuze2falo
August 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
They all fall within 30 yards.....of something just usually not from where they were standing:wink:

I have shot a couple and heard them crash thinkin they only went 40-50 and that turned into 150

Browtine22
August 12th, 2008, 11:42 PM
"Most "of the deer I have shot died within earshot. You gotta love that crash. I was on a really good streak from a number of years. The last couple of years I have practiced more than ever. I've felt great about the shots I have put on the last 8 or 10.

For whatever reason the last 8 or 10 have traveled further than the 30+ before them. Last year I double lunged a nice buck. He traveled more like 400 yards. I thought I missed a lung some how. Opened him up both lungs were centered pretty well.... Go figure

Shot a doe in the late season. Again took out both lungs. She ran an easy 300 yards and this was not a big doe. The nice thing was that she went down half way to the truck.

As has been said each deer is different. Dropping them all within 30 yards, I doubt it.

tennman
August 13th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I agree with the post. I've bowhunted for over 30 years with 100+ kills, (and a few misses) Other than the ones that were hit in the spine, 75% or more traveled at least 50 yards or more. Heart shot deer can travel unbelievable distances. Before mechanicals, small fixed heads that missed the ribs accounted for most of the deer down under 30 yards. I've shot them and seen them actually start eating again before collapsing right on the spot. Doesn't happen much though with mechanicals.

grnxlt
August 13th, 2008, 12:34 AM
fenced in deer don't run to far,not alot of room to run........:behindsof

Tom_in_CT
August 13th, 2008, 08:38 AM
fenced in deer don't run to far,not alot of room to run........:behindsof

lol

Nate's Parker
August 13th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I do know if you heart punch them with a g5 they dont go far:darkbeer:

Gr8ride65
August 13th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Chuck Norris made his deer walk 30 yards and lay down on his deer cart before it expired. But then again, he is Chick Norris.

OCD-Bowhunter
August 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
This is the beginning of my 6th year. I've learned a ton on this site and on other sights, but the one thing I do is make sure of my yardage...

1st year--1 deer. 6 pt buck...shot thru the jugular--5 yards in a circle. Shot with a muzzy 145 grain head.

2nd year--2 deer. Doe shot with a 100 grain slick trick @ 18 yards...she died exactly within 18 yards of shot and she was double lunged. Took my rangefinder and shot 36 yards from point of deer to stand. Buck shot @ 10 yards from tree went another 25 yards and died in an open field, and also double lunged...however one of my longest drags...600 yards from truck.:eek:

3rd year--3 deer. Two with bow and one with shotgun. Doe shot at 19 yards went 150 yards straight down hill and died on the trail to truck, also double lunged. Buck gut shot and found 18 hours later 250 yards from shot. Third deer was a doe and shot at 50 yards with mossberg 695 shooting a lightfield slug. This deer did a flop and was dead. 0 yards.

4th year--4 deer. One with bow, two with shotgun, and one with muzzleloader. Buck was gutshot...waited 8 hours...found alive 100 yards. Shot again and he took off. Trailed the deer on the run and found it again trying to hide...out of energy...shot 5 more times thru neck at 8 yards as I couldn't get any closer without it taking off. :mad: Next deer was a doe during shotgun season...she did a flop and still managed to get up and run 15 yards, momma was shot on top of shoulder and one lung. Next deer was the does yearling button buck that only ran 10 yards from where I shot his momma...BB shot @ 60 yards went and still ran 40 yards...he was double lunged with shotgun. Buck with muzzleloader was shot with TC omega with 330 grain precision rifle sabot on top of 90 grains of Black Mag powder. Deer facing me and I shot 2" below his throat patch. Sabot destroyed lungs, top of heart and thru guts. Deer went 10 yards and was done...blood spray was huge.

5th year (last season) 2 deer with bow and one with shotgun. Oct 1 buck was previously gut shot by someone else and he came by me around 3:30 pm. Shot at 48 yards (cabelas 600 yard range finder)...buck ran 1 yard from me spraying blood on my pack (it was left on ground) and made it past me 25 yards--73 yards total for this deer...this deer double lunged. Next deer was a doe and shot at 20 yards...I aimed for offside shoulder. Only deer shot with arrow that was killed with a silver flame 100 grain head. Arrow lodged in offside shoulder leg bone so there was not an exit wound. Zero blood trail and it took me an hour to find doe. I finally had to do a grid search and found it 30 yards away at my other stand location. Last deer last season was killed with shotgun and did another flop. Button buck and very tender.

Totals...

Bow average deer travel...112.6 yards.
Shotgun average deer travel...4.75 yards.
Mzzldr average deer travel...10 yards (1 deer so far)

All deer average travel...74.3 yards.

1 lost deer...2nd year of hunting...missed deer 4 deer.

hutchies
August 13th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Only had 1 that didn't make it over 30.............98 lb doe shot at 21 yards double lung. Most fall before 100 yards though.

Rooster7
August 13th, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'm with everyother normal hunter. I've had some go 20 yards and I've had others go 200 yards plus. Some shots were great, others not so good. The key is to know when to back out and wait and if in doubt, do it anyways.

# 1

I've only had one drop within 30 yards and that was my 2007 buck. I watched him drop and still backed out for 1 1/2 hours just to be safe.

TANDD
August 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Heart shot a doe last year that ran close to 150yds. Bled completely out. A week later I flat out gut shot an 8pt buck that took about 10 steps and laid down and died. Just never know.

tackscall
August 13th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I watched a guy on K&H Ultimate Hunting this morning hit a monster dead solid perfect, high lung on the passenger side, came out the opposite armpit and that deer appeared to have gone a long way. You just never know

Stanley
August 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM

It's called, the art of internet hunting.

z-man02
August 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
It's your bow z-man.
Most of us are good at killing deer. You just Hoyt em. :tongue:

I think I must have mistyped, because what I meant to say was that all the deer I shoot don't die within 50 yds. of my stand. Which I think is pretty good considering my average shot is 50 to 60 yds. through thick michigan forest. But you probably don't understand as a mathews wouldn't be able to make that type of shot.:wink:

CHAMPION2
August 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Holy cow thats alot to remember. I cant even remember from the previous year how far the deer that I shot traveled. One things is for certain your firearms shot deer with the heavy kenetic energy did not travel far, which stands to reason.

This is the beginning of my 6th year. I've learned a ton on this site and on other sights, but the one thing I do is make sure of my yardage...

1st year--1 deer. 6 pt buck...shot thru the jugular--5 yards in a circle. Shot with a muzzy 145 grain head.

2nd year--2 deer. Doe shot with a 100 grain slick trick @ 18 yards...she died exactly within 18 yards of shot and she was double lunged. Took my rangefinder and shot 36 yards from point of deer to stand. Buck shot @ 10 yards from tree went another 25 yards and died in an open field, and also double lunged...however one of my longest drags...600 yards from truck.:eek:

3rd year--3 deer. Two with bow and one with shotgun. Doe shot at 19 yards went 150 yards straight down hill and died on the trail to truck, also double lunged. Buck gut shot and found 18 hours later 250 yards from shot. Third deer was a doe and shot at 50 yards with mossberg 695 shooting a lightfield slug. This deer did a flop and was dead. 0 yards.

4th year--4 deer. One with bow, two with shotgun, and one with muzzleloader. Buck was gutshot...waited 8 hours...found alive 100 yards. Shot again and he took off. Trailed the deer on the run and found it again trying to hide...out of energy...shot 5 more times thru neck at 8 yards as I couldn't get any closer without it taking off. :mad: Next deer was a doe during shotgun season...she did a flop and still managed to get up and run 15 yards, momma was shot on top of shoulder and one lung. Next deer was the does yearling button buck that only ran 10 yards from where I shot his momma...BB shot @ 60 yards went and still ran 40 yards...he was double lunged with shotgun. Buck with muzzleloader was shot with TC omega with 330 grain precision rifle sabot on top of 90 grains of Black Mag powder. Deer facing me and I shot 2" below his throat patch. Sabot destroyed lungs, top of heart and thru guts. Deer went 10 yards and was done...blood spray was huge.

5th year (last season) 2 deer with bow and one with shotgun. Oct 1 buck was previously gut shot by someone else and he came by me around 3:30 pm. Shot at 48 yards (cabelas 600 yard range finder)...buck ran 1 yard from me spraying blood on my pack (it was left on ground) and made it past me 25 yards--73 yards total for this deer...this deer double lunged. Next deer was a doe and shot at 20 yards...I aimed for offside shoulder. Only deer shot with arrow that was killed with a silver flame 100 grain head. Arrow lodged in offside shoulder leg bone so there was not an exit wound. Zero blood trail and it took me an hour to find doe. I finally had to do a grid search and found it 30 yards away at my other stand location. Last deer last season was killed with shotgun and did another flop. Button buck and very tender.

Totals...

Bow average deer travel...112.6 yards.
Shotgun average deer travel...4.75 yards.
Mzzldr average deer travel...10 yards (1 deer so far)

All deer average travel...74.3 yards.

1 lost deer...2nd year of hunting...missed deer 4 deer.

Lonestar63
August 13th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I think I must have mistyped, because what I meant to say was that all the deer I shoot don't die within 50 yds. of my stand. Which I think is pretty good considering my average shot is 50 to 60 yds. through thick michigan forest. But you probably don't understand as a mathews wouldn't be able to make that type of shot.:wink:

Thats pretty funny z-man.

I was just messing with ya. 2 of my hunting buds shoot Hoyt's, and we tease each other a bit.
Shot a nice 10 pnt last year and he died within sight of my stand. Rage 2 blade, shot him at 18 yards, he went less than 30 and went down. Shot a big 8 pnt. this year at 26 yds with a rage 2 blade, and he went about 40 yards and he was down. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=608053
Good luck on your bow season this year, and may a big buck fall in sight of your stand. :set1_draught2:

z-man02
August 13th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Thats pretty funny z-man.

I was just messing with ya. 2 of my hunting buds shoot Hoyt's, and we tease each other a bit.
Shot a nice 10 pnt last year and he died within sight of my stand. Rage 2 blade, shot him at 18 yards, he went less than 30 and went down. Shot a big 8 pnt. this year at 26 yds with a rage 2 blade, and he went about 40 yards and he was down. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=608053
Good luck on your bow season this year, and may a big buck fall in sight of your stand. :set1_draught2:

I would love to have a big one fall near, or far. But where I hunt they just don't grow 'em very big. But you can bet I'll drop a few baldies, as usual.:darkbeer:

lawman882
August 13th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm giving an even money bet that every one that claims all their deer go down within 30 yrds are hunting inside a 30 x 30 yard high fence enclosed game preserve....:eek:

OCD-Bowhunter
August 13th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Holy cow thats alot to remember. I cant even remember from the previous year how far the deer that I shot traveled. One things is for certain your firearms shot deer with the heavy kenetic energy did not travel far, which stands to reason.

Champ,

My screen name says it all. For some reason numbers always stays in my head. Can't help it...my wife says OCD is very appropriate. :embara::wink::eek:

Cmarti
August 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Well since everybody on the internet shoots 3" groups at 80 yards, it is logical that every shot on deer is perfect and lethal.:tongue:

p.s. I never slice or 3 putt either

Red Fletch
August 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM
p.s. I never slice or 3 putt either

I usually try to keep it to 1 hole in one per round. Any more than that and I might get to much attention....:wink:

OCD-Bowhunter
August 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Forgot to add that I shot two pigs in December in Oklahoma. 1st shot was 20 yards, and I hit the shoulder. Lost the pig...even with a slick trick. Next day I shot a pig at 7 yards and it went in a 30 yard half circle, but went only 15 yards from stand. Shot two pigs with bow...shot at two more with shotgun and missed both piggies with the shotgun:embara::eek:. Talk about an embarrassing out come. Only 25% recovery in December with pigs...can't be perfect everytime.:wink:

OCD

Red Fletch
August 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm giving an even money bet that every one that claims all their deer go down within 30 yrds are hunting inside a 30 x 30 yard high fence enclosed game preserve....:eek:

Unfortunately, due to town ordinance I'm not allowed higher than a 6' fence. I guess I'm doomed to AT medeocrity and tracking my deer 100+ yards. The 6' only keeps the little guys in...hehehe...they don't fit into the 50" minimum for my preserve.

25-06
August 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I have had a couple go 10 yards and had some go over 100.so,go figure!!

old Graybeard
August 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM

I guess you just don't understand how it works with all the internet hunters:wink:Most of them also pass on any buck that won't make book, hold two inch groups out to 75 yards and never loose a deer.

camoham
August 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
depends.

last 2 i took went down in 35 and under.

one thing i have noticed..........over the last 2 years is that if i let out a vocal bleat or bawl after the shot.................they sometimes will stop or at the least slow down.

if you can stop them for just a couple of seconds..............youve just saved yourself countless yards of tracking.

im not naive enough to say that this works everytime, but i would suggest that this is something to try.

every second less traveled is indeed precious.

camoham