PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Broadhead Challenge

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM
This year at the Wisconsin Bowhunters Annual Broadhead shoot, A friend and I ran a new novelty shoot event for the WBH. We came to call it

"The Ultimate Broadhead Challenge"

Here is the idea.

Archers will register at the tent for the event, and pay a $5 per-shot price, to take a shot at the custom built target with a 3 1/2" hole cut out of it's center. If you make the shot.....you get $10 back, and you are automatically entered in the finals.

Shooters will be assigned either the 40 yard distance, or the 25 yard distance depending on their bow, and their age. If you are under 12 years of age, or shoot instinctive with no sights .....you shoot at 25 yards. ALL others shoot at 40 yards.

The arrow must have a broadhead as it's point, and the entire arrow, must pass through the hole.

All the successful shooters are going to be brought back for a SHOOT-OFF (FINALS) to be held late afternoon on Saturday. For that portion of the competition, the yardages are going to be moved to 50 and 30 yards respectively.

Eventually, there will only be one person standing, and that lucky person is going to be Known for a year as The Ultimate Broadhead Challenge Winner.

Aside from being able to hold their head up high as the winner of the competition, the lucky person will win over $500 in prizes,

The target that is being used is 4' X 4', and is made 4 1/2 inches thick and of plywood. After archers register and take their shot......IF they don't make the shot, they simply go downrange, and unscrew the arrow, But......THE BROADHEAD STAYS IN THE TARGET!!!! All they do is sign their name on the target, next to their broadhead, in permanent marker.

On Friday Morning (Sept. 5th), we opened the Ultimate Broadhead Challenge to a small crowd of folks that were unsure about just what we were up to. We explained the event and many said that they would first shoot the course and then come back as they could not risk leaving theirs broadheads in the target and have none left for the course. Later (and while I was away from our tent) our first archer gave it a try. He was a Traditional shooter that left the first head in the target.

Now that somebody had taken the shot, others began to approach. The distance was pretty intimidating.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc1.jpg

After the shooters made their attempt, we would take them down to the target to sign their names and unscrew their arrows.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc2.jpg

As promised, after folks were finished with the broadhead course, they stopped back to try the challenge. One such archer was a guy named Eric. the only problem was that Eric had an equipment failure on the course that left him without a bow but thanks to his friend Mark, lending Eric his bow, Eric took the challenge and was the first archer to put an arrow through the hole. As promised, we paid Eric $10 for making the shot.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc3.jpg

Not to be outdone with his own bow, Mark took the challenge and made the shot. We had two archers make it back to back.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc4.jpg

These guys not only advanced to the final shoot off but were very good for business and others that viewed them making the shot were now tempted to try it themselves. Not all were so lucky.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc8.jpg

As the day wore on, a few more gave it a try.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc92.jpg

By the end of the day Friday, 6 shooters had made the shot through the hole and would have to return on Sat. for the shoot off.

On Saturday, more folks stepped up to the Challenge. We had a few more Trad shooters give it a try.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc97.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc98.jpg

But we never did have a trad shooter put one through the hole.

It should be noted that we offered shooter the chance to warm up for the 40 yard challenge by taking a few shots at a cardboard target set next to the challenge target. After watching all these folks take the challenge, I couldn't take it anymore. After more than a year since the last time I had used my compound, I pulled it out of the case and took a few shots and forty yards.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc9.jpg

I was set. I stepped up to the line to take the challenge but at the last second, a jet flew over head and I got something in my eye and there was a small earthquake or something like that. (that's my story)

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc91.jpg

After that freak accident, I put the bow away and picked up the camera again as I am much more accurate with it. Here is a shot of our tent. You can see some of the prizes on the table out front.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc992.jpg

We also had on fella stop by named Shawn who wanted to try the challenge but he did not have any broadheads. I asked him how many gains his practice points were and he said 85 grains. I told him I had some 85 grain heads in the broadhead collection and that he was welcome to try one. He took me up on my offer and after a practice shot or two, made it through the hole an onto the shoot off round. I held onto the broadhead for him until then.

We also had one young fellow that was 8 years old that asked if he could try the challenge. He told us that his Dad said it was ok but he too did not have a broadhead. I weighed his field point and then went to the collection and found him an nice new 100 grain Muzzy. He stepped up to the 25 yard line and fired his arrow at the target. His 30 pound bow hid not have enough power and the arrow bounced off the target. I told him to try again but with the same results. He tried a third time and still no good. He was determined. He no longer cared about making it through the hole. He only wanted to stick it in the target and sign his name. I moved him up to 10 yards and told him to give it a try but still, the arrow ended up at our feet. Then I walked back to the tent and grabbed a hammer and gave it to Dan. Dan took the young fella to the target and found the last dent he had made and use the hammer to drive that Muzzy home and young John got to sign his name.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc997.jpg

We also ad a few folks that just wanted to donate $5 and not take the shot. We thanked them for their generosity. We had one guy that didn't care to make the shot through the hole and just wanted to leave a broadhead and signature on the target. He took his shot with a 1972 vintage Browning Serpentine Broadhead which is pretty rare but he was willing to part with it.

On Saturday at 5:00 pm was the cut off to qualify and time for all the shooters that had met the challenge to advance onto the shot off round.

12 archers had made the cut.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc995.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc994.jpg

Those two goofy looking guys behind the target are my friend Serb and myself. Serbs the one in the cowboy hat and I'm in the goofy looking fishing hat.

Each person that made it through the hole, signed the target on the corner since they could not sign next the their broadheads since they didn't leave on in the target. There were two guys that made it through the hole but their arrows came apart and they left some of those parts in front of the target.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc994aa.jpg

We then roped off the area and gave the 12 archers 15 minutes to take a few practice shots to warm up at 50 yards. The crowd of onlookers was getting bigger and bigger.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc996.jpg

I gave each shooter a number and we drew from a hat to determine the order. When all twelve had taken their shot in the shoot off, only two were left standing. They were Corey and Mike.

I flipped a coin and Corey won the toss and made Mike shoot first. Mike finally missed (by an inch) and it was up to Corey to either miss and force another shoot off or make the shot and win.

Corey stepped up and put his arrow through the hole and was the only archer not to leave a broadhead in the target. In doing so, Corey was named the Ultimate Broadhead Champion for 2008.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubcwinner1.jpg

As such, Corey took home around $500 in prizes. Congratulations Corey. I hope you come back next year to defend your title.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubcwinner2.jpg

Over the course of 2 day, we had 58 archers take the Ultimate Broadhead Challenge with many of them taking multiple shots. In all, 104 shots were made. This is what the target looked like at the end of it all.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn31/WBH_stuff/2008broadheadshoot/ubc998.jpg

For the entire weekend, we had 692 Bowhunters shoot the Broadhead course and many more that came for the vendors, food, music and other events over the course of the 3 day event.

PAstringking
September 8th, 2008, 02:27 PM
thats a great event!! would have loved to participate!!

nelly23
September 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Great post. That looks like a blast, I had fun just reading it!

NY911
September 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Awesome, Awesome, Awesomer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a3dhunter
September 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Good idea for sure, I am amazed at how low some of those shots were.
I wonder if these guys are happy with their bows?

At the very least it should open some eyes to the fact that broadhead flight is extremely important and more people need to be practicing with broadheads more often.

Looks like a very well set up booth and event.
Thanks for sharing........
I think I know which jet your talking about.......it's flown over me before!:zip:

Tax Lawyer
September 8th, 2008, 03:38 PM
:cool:

Daniel Boone
September 8th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Wouldnt it be fun to see everyone here take this shot.:tongue:

Might be interesting for many:rolleyes:

I love broadhead shoots. You really fine out if your tuned and ready.

DB

Bet there was a few animals wounded this weekend.:tongue:

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Above all, there was one most popular head used by more archers than any other head at this weekends event. Can anybody guess what it was??

There was one broadhead over all that broke when hitting the target more than any other brand. Can anybody guess which one?

The winner of this event was the only one shooting that particular brand of broadhead. Can you guess which one it was?

P.S. There were no Mech heads used in this event.

a3dhunter
September 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Above all, there was one most popular head used by more archers than any other head at this weekends event. Can anybody guess what it was??
G5

There was one broadhead over all that broke when hitting the target more than any other brand. Can anybody guess which one?
Satelite

The winner of this event was the only one shooting that particular brand of broadhead. Can you guess which one it was?
Magnus

:tongue:

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 04:37 PM
zero for 3.

tmolina
September 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Here are my guesses:

Muzzy

Eastman

SlickTrick

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
zero for 3

red44
September 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I won't guess whats heads were which, but I'll guess there were more non-mathews than mathews. (more broadheads to the left of the hole than the right) :tongue: :zip: Looks like a good time.

Whitefeather
September 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Very cool idea!

bowman732000
September 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Thats not fair hes shooting a mathews. lol

ember
September 8th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Slick Trick

Muzzy

WASP

sbooy42
September 8th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I found the answer elsewhere:wink::tongue:

I was surprised..but I won't ruin the fun

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
I won't guess whats heads were which, but I'll guess there were more non-mathews than mathews. (more broadheads to the left of the hole than the right) :tongue: :zip: Looks like a good time.

There was a hard wind blowing from right to left causing a lot of folks to miss left of the hole.

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM

Slick Trick

Muzzy

WASP

You got one right. In fact only one other head broke and that was a NAP crossfire. The trocar tips snapped off of several Muzzy heads, Sorry, I didn't keep track of exactly how many since I was rather busy but it was enough that it caught my attention. My guess is the the threaded area with 3 or 4 blade slots made it weak in that area. I am not trying to slam Muzzy. If you look at my shot, I used a Muzzy Phantom.

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I will add this question. 2 heads by far out penetrated all the others, which ones?

Roadrunner
September 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous that that many people were so far off even at 25 yards! If you can't consistantly hit a 2.5" circle at 25 yards then you have NO BUSINESS deer hunting or any other kind of hunting really. It's not fair to the animal your hunting and its just plain ridiculous! This is the reason so many deer get gut shot and are running around with broadheads stuck in there a**%$ every year. :mad:

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I think it's pretty ridiculous that that many people were so far off even at 25 yards! If you can't consistantly hit a 2.5" circle at 25 yards then you have NO BUSINESS deer hunting or any other kind of hunting really. It's not fair to the animal your hunting and its just plain ridiculous! This is the reason so many deer get gut shot and are running around with broadheads stuck in there a**%$ every year. :mad:

I guess you didn't bother to read the thread at all then before making your post. I can't believe you were that far off with your post in such a short distance. If a guy cant take the time to consistently read a post before spewing uninformed crap, he has NO BUSINESS posting or any other kind of web usage. It's not fair to the other readers and just plain ridiculous! This is the reason so many posters gut shoot themselves and are running around with their heads up their arses every year. :mad:

Go back and actually read the post and you will see that of the 104 shots taken, 4 or 5 were taken from 25 yards by trad guys and all the other shots were taken at 40 and 50 yards. :eek: (Sigh!) some people....... I blame the public school system for turning out people like this.

rebbie
September 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like lot of fun! Great Story! Thanks for story and photos!

BCFrye_Kansas
September 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Above all, there was one most popular head used by more archers than any other head at this weekends event. Can anybody guess what it was?? Thunderhead

There was one broadhead over all that broke when hitting the target more than any other brand. Can anybody guess which one? Muzzy

The winner of this event was the only one shooting that particular brand of broadhead. Can you guess which one it was? Montec

Fun Game

flintcreek6412
September 8th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Looks like a blast and I'd love to play. The only thing I would do different is allow no warm up....just like sitting in a tree stand for hours before the shot.

Daniel Boone
September 8th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Montec or Wasp
DB

Rancid Crabtree
September 8th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Fun Game

Correct, Thunderhead was hands down, the most used head. Nobody has gotten the winning head or the best penetrator.

joffutt1
September 8th, 2008, 11:59 PM

Why not? A rage 2 would have taken that easy but the $5 to shoot a $13 head may not have been so wise though.:tongue:

a3dhunter
September 9th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Winning head-----Wac em?

Best Penetrator---Magnus?

Whitefeather
September 9th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Best penetrator - Montec?

Winning head - ABC?

dressed2kill
September 9th, 2008, 12:11 AM
I would of gave it a shot. looks like fun

Buckbadger
September 9th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Best Penetration -Shuttle T

Winning Head- Wasp Boss Bullet

:noidea:

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Best penetrator - Montec?

Winning head - ABC?

We have a winner. ABC Liberty was the head shot by the winner of this event. He never touched wood on three shoots at 40 and 50 yards. In fact, there was not a single ABC head in the target.

You are also correct that Montec was the best penetrator. It was a tie with Slick Tricks.

GSLAM95
September 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Great idea for a novelty shoot RC and I could see where this event could grow rapidly with each coming year. Very nice job on making the target as well. What did you use behind the plywood target to stop the lucky few that made it cleanly through? I take it that there was a foam target somewhere behind the plywood target?

We have a winner. ABC Liberty was the head shot by the winner of this event. He never touched wood on three shoots at 40 and 50 yards. In fact, there was not a single ABC head in the target.

You are also correct that Montec was the best penetrator. It was a tie with Slick Tricks.

I would have to give the best penetration win to the 4 blade (slick trick) if the 3 blade (montec) only equaled in penetration due to the slick trick having an extra blade (more cutting surface).:wink:

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Great idea for a novelty shoot RC and I could see where this event could grow rapidly with each coming year. Very nice job on making the target as well. What did you use behind the plywood target to stop the lucky few that made it cleanly through? I take it that there was a foam target somewhere behind the plywood target?

I would have to give the best penetration win to the 4 blade (slick trick) if the 3 blade (montec) only equaled in penetration due to the slick trick having an extra blade (more cutting surface).:wink:

Dirt. Our broadhead range (29 targets) and the practice range where we held this event has piles of sand that stops the broadheads. Everybody carries a toothbrush in their pocket to clean their heads before the next shot. This is sifted sand with no rocks.

Roadrunner
September 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Well golly gee there Mrs. Crabtree The last time I checked it wasn't up to you to dictate what I post or my so called web usage. I read the post right the first time so I don't need to re-read it again. I stand by what I said and it's still pretty bad to be off that far at 40 and 50 yards. Unless you were one of the guys that were off by a foot then why are you so worried about it anyway? I blame the public schools for turning out people with this kind of lack of understanding. :rolleyes:

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Well golly gee there Mrs. Crabtree The last time I checked it wasn't up to you to dictate what I post or my so called web usage. I read the post right the first time so I don't need to re-read it again. I stand by what I said and it's still pretty bad to be off that far at 40 and 50 yards. Unless you were one of the guys that were off by a foot then why are you so worried about it anyway? I blame the public schools for turning out people with this kind of lack of understanding. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you took the time to go back and read the whole post. Funny how you now have changed your tune to 40 and 50 yards instead of 25 yards. See........... You can be taught. Way to go lil fella.:hello2:

AmishArcher
September 9th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Glad to see you took the time to go back and read the whole post. Funny how you now have changed your tune to 40 and 50 yards instead of 25 yards. See........... You can be taught. Way to go lil fella.:hello2:

ouch! that one hurt!

sbooy42
September 9th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Crabtree
Anybody shoot'n FOBs

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Crabtree
Anybody shoot'n FOBs

No, We had 600 folks shoot the broadhead course while I did not see every set up, I will say that it was a pretty even mix of feathers and blazer vanes.

Roadrunner
September 9th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Now hold on there Mrs. Crab legs, I didn't re-read nothing and I'm not going to. I also didn't change my tune. Looks like your the one who needs to re-read something if you can even read, maybe they haven't taught that in your neck of the woods. By the looks of things they haven't taught any broadhead tuning either. :eek:

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Now hold on there Mrs. Crab legs, I didn't re-read nothing and I'm not going to. I also didn't change my tune. Looks like your the one who needs to re-read something if you can even read, maybe they haven't taught that in your neck of the woods. By the looks of things they haven't taught any broadhead tuning either. :eek:

Ummm....... Yeah............ Great. Glad you got that off your chest. Just settle down a bit there lil fella, your getting yourself all worked up into a tizzy for nothing. Either pull that stick out or shove it in the rest of the way. Set up your own wooden broadhead challenge and fire away at 40 yards. Let me know how you do. I'll wait here.:set1_chores030:

Roadrunner
September 9th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Great Mrs Crablegs, now your fanatasizing about shoving sticks up peoples arses. I guess now that everyone knows your dealing with a mental illness your posts are easier to understand. I knew there had to be some underlying factor for your above average intelligence.

Rancid Crabtree
September 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I knew there had to be some underlying factor for your above average intelligence.

Aw Shucks! Thanks. Glad you see it my way. Anywho, I'm still waiting on your 40 and 50 yd broadhead photos. :sleepy2: