PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first bow selection

keepitlow
November 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Stopped by Cabela's and they did not offer much info on which bow to buy. One sales person suggested a PSE Stinger. Is that a good first bow to get for target and hunting? They also sell Parker bows.

I tried a 70 pound pull and could not get it back. Had no trouble with the 50 pound pull. Did not have a 60 pounder to try. Did not shoot anything, just tested pull.

Thanks for your help.

riley1131
November 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM
First thing I would suggest is going to a proshop and get measured to get the correct draw lenth this is the most important factor when buying any bow. Then if possible shoot a few diffrent bows and see what you like and what feels good to you.

ReadyAimLoose
November 14th, 2008, 08:14 PM
What is your price range?

keepitlow
November 14th, 2008, 08:18 PM
No pro shops near me that i know of, but will check it out more.

About $300 to $450 range.

P.L. Archery
November 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Measure your wingspan tip to tip. Divide that number by 2.5... round that number down to the nearest half inch. Don't let any salesman try to sell you a bow at a longer draw than that number!!!

Buy a 50# - 60# bow(60# peak wt.) turn it down to 50# to start with(several months).

Now, at Cabelas, the best value in a first bow is probably the Parker Trailblazer. Order the walnut grip for it and throw the rubber one in the trash. If it's in your budget, the Raptor XP, and Blackhawk XP are very nice bows. I personally wouldn't own any of the PSE's that are sold at Cabelas.

You'd be better off in the long run finding a good Pro shop, and skipping Cabelas altogether though.

riley1131
November 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Measure your wingspan tip to tip. Divide that number by 2.5... round that number down to the nearest half inch. Don't let any salesman try to sell you a bow at a longer draw than that number!!!

Buy a 50# - 60# bow(60# peak wt.) turn it down to 50# to start with(several months).

Now, at Cabelas, the best value in a first bow is probably the Parker Trailblazer. Order the walnut grip for it and throw the rubber one in the trash. If it's in your budget, the Raptor XP, and Blackhawk XP are very nice bows. I personally wouldn't own any of the PSE's that are sold at Cabelas.

You'd be better off in the long run finding a good Pro shop, and skipping Cabelas altogether though.

If your going to gothis route basically guessing your draw lenth but this will get you in the ballpark I would suggest the at classifieds better deals there then anywhere but look for somthing that will give you some adjustment on the cams without having to change the whole cam.

keepitlow
November 14th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info P.L. Archery.

I'm at 71-1/2 inches from tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger. Divided by 2.5 is 28.6 and rounded up is 29.

Will check out your bow suggestions and cams riley1131.

P.L. Archery
November 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I said to round DOWN, not up. For you, I would stick with a 28" or 28.5" draw. Definitely not 29"

Jwillman6
November 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I think you can find a good used bow in the $300 to $500 rigged out. This is the route I would suggest until you know what you like. Then when you spend money on a new bow it is less likely you will spend hard earned money on something that you discover later that you do not like. Visit a good archery pro shop and start doing some research. You might be able to find a cheaper bow that you like there. All the new bows are vantastic, it just might be more than you want to spend until you know what is good for you and what you like.

keepitlow
November 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I said to round DOWN, not up. For you, I would stick with a 28" or 28.5" draw. Definitely not 29"

OK, will do. Thanks for the correction.

What about triggers. should I use fingers or buy a trigger? And do triggers change the draw length?