PDA

View Full Version : calling 101

astan3308
November 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
need some help i feel that i'm grunting and bleating way to much. deer are looking my direction but not paying attention to it. so i call more and they look and keep walking. i know i am calling too much. what is everyones general guidelines for calling with time between and grunts and bleats in a series.

freeslinger
November 20th, 2008, 02:15 PM
also to add to the question, when do you start calling? before daylight? right after? only if you see a deer? blind?

I've been wondering about this as well. thanks in advance.

toddboy23
November 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Well the most affective time to use aggressive calling is during the pre rut. I guess most importantly is what situation you are in when you're selecting which call to use.

You obviously wouldn't wanna hit the can when you see a buck with a doe. He has no reason to leave his doe for another doe at that time. At the same time, a grunt may cause the buck to investigate and want to get that other buck away from his doe.

I personally don't care too much for blind calling but it can be affective. Just use your best judgement. Don't over do it.

If you see a deer and you are trying to turn him around....good time to hit the calls. Again, it matters what the entire situation looks like.

:darkbeer:

OHIOBUCK
November 20th, 2008, 02:24 PM
need some help i feel that i'm grunting and bleating way to much. deer are looking my direction but not paying attention to it. so i call more and they look and keep walking. i know i am calling too much. what is everyones general guidelines for calling with time between and grunts and bleats in a series.

Well you know they heard you if you can see them looking. Not all deer are going to respond to a call. Many times they just show some body language, like a tail wag or looking your direction.

It could be your calling from an area that is too open, and the deer can see where the call is coming from. If this is the case, you'll need a decoy.

If your trying to call in a doe, try using a doe grunt instead of a bleat. A bleat is a breeding call.

If I see a buck, I like to start with a couple of beats. If he is too far away to hear them and doesn't react, i will crack the horns a couple times to get his attention, and then give a couple of bleats, followed by a few tending grunts. Then I pause a couple min. and give a few more tending grunts followed by a few clicks. If he is just standing their watching, I might switch to an all out fight.

Once they start in your direction , stop calling. Don't call any more unless they start going off in another direction.

Another trick i use, is more than one grunt call. I try to sound like several bucks chasing a hot doe. Switch back and forth with the calls making tending grunts. Throw in a few aggrivated clicks.

OHIOBUCK
November 20th, 2008, 02:32 PM
also to add to the question, when do you start calling? before daylight? right after? only if you see a deer? blind?

I've been wondering about this as well. thanks in advance.

You can blind call at anytime. I usually sit tight for the first 2 or 3 hours and then give a couple bleats followed by some tending grunts and clicking. Wait an hour or two and try again.

If i see a buck, I will only call to it if it isn't heading my way. A natural reaction for a deer is to circle down wind when they come to a call, so if he is headed your way, don't take the chance of getting winded.

astan3308
November 20th, 2008, 03:28 PM
thanks for the help. with rutt going full right now what about that situation. what kind of series would i do to draw a buck in. can bleat and mature buck grunt and what would i concentrate on can bleat or grunt. if a buck is by it self i would think can bleat and grunt if with another doe.

OHIOBUCK
November 20th, 2008, 03:33 PM
thanks for the help. with rutt going full right now what about that situation. what kind of series would i do to draw a buck in. can bleat and mature buck grunt and what would i concentrate on can bleat or grunt. if a buck is by it self i would think can bleat and grunt if with another doe.

I would try the bleat first.........if no response try to sound like a buck tending a hot doe that won't let him mount..........tending grunts and clicks.

badbow148
November 20th, 2008, 03:34 PM

If you are hunting the same place or places and doing it all the time you could be doing it to the same deer and they will stat to ignore your calling .Something to think about.