PDA

View Full Version : Plasma or LCD

falcon-1964
November 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
The wife and I are looking for a new TV this weekend. Looking at 46-52in screens. In red neck :D terms whats your opinion on LCD or Plasma.

NARLEYHORNS
November 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Dont dare get the plasma. Ask any Geek, the plasma dont rate anywhere close to the LCD in all areas.:darkbeer:

LeftemLeakin
November 25th, 2008, 09:25 PM
dont dare get the plasma. Ask any geek, the plasma dont rate anywhere close to the lcd in all areas.:darkbeer:

+1

tazman7
November 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
46" Samsung LCD 1080P $1499 @ Best Buy. You wont be any happier. :)

bradley_ee
November 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
While the LCD definitely wins out on the smaller(up to 42") after that it gets to be a bit of a tossup. Odds are you won't notice a difference between them. I would probably suggest the LCD because 1) there is NO possibility of burn in. I know the Plasma have come a long way but this is a problem that could still happen. And 2) most LCD screens don't have a glass front, this means essentially no glare issues. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to look over what you are thinking about getting.

PSEloyal
November 27th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I would say LCD although I have a Plasma and love it but spend the extra and get it as a 1080P expecially if you ever plan to watch Blue Ray movies you can do it on a 1080I but it looks so much better on the 1080P

Kitsap
November 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Bryan,
Find the Circuit City net site.... they have a good consumer review section on TV's. Not to say I'm recommending that store but the research data is there. As for the question.... I'm in favor of LCD over plasma. Burn-in on the plasma screens is pretty much a past issue and I don't think you need sweat it. What convinced me was a combination of the greater heat generated by plasma sets, the high weight of the sets (I don't like having something I cannot move without endangering an already bad back), and the higher electrical usage. LCD's will ocassionally choke locally when there is exceptionally fast movement on the screen but I've only seen that happen during broadcasts and never during recorded movies.

By the way..... don't throw out those VHS movies you've collected when you get a digital TV. Virtually all VHS movies were recorded to a much higher definition than the old fashion analog TV's were capable of showing. I have over 400 titles - half on VHS - and I have yet to find one that doesn't look a lot better broadcast on digital.

As for which one I have? A Sony Bravia..... seems to do everything I need.

jdog94
November 28th, 2008, 10:49 PM
if you dont like lights and windows reflecting in the screen go with lcd

xjrosie
November 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
I have a Sharp Aquos 37" that I bought last year. I love it. IMO, plasma pictures just aren't as sharp.

I agree with the 1080p. If you play Blu-Ray or HD, you will appreciate it more.

PCfixit
November 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Definitely LCD

tn_huntress
December 8th, 2008, 10:04 PM
LCD all the way

DO NOT BUY AKAI BRAND

Trust me, they suck.

Boonie_Hunter
December 10th, 2008, 01:37 PM
we have a 46" Polaroid LCD 1080P and it is awesome. We got it last year at wally world the day after thanksgiving for $798. Best purchase in a long time

skitty4gzus
December 15th, 2008, 10:07 PM
IMO after seeing many sets and installing them for a home theater company, i would go with plasma. LCD's are nice and i think eventually will take over in every aspect, but right now plasma is the better of sets for all around situations. LCD's do use less power, less heat, lighter weight, but if you like watching sports or anything with heavy movement go with plasma. I guess im pretty anal though when it comes to that and it drives me crazy, but most people i know dont care and dont notice it that much. just my 2 cents

mikea5232
December 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
my LCD is a samsung 46" series6 120hz 1080p. if you look at the spects it does compare to the plasmas. But plasmas IMO have better color, plasmas are better if you are a gamer, watch lots of sports, and dont leave your tv on for long periods of time. I went with the LCD because i didnt want to worry about the burn it. the samsungs are on the highend of LCD but if you get a cheap LCD and compare to quality of picture the plasma will win hands down every time. As far as glare on the screen every tv is different so that is something you will have to look at in the store. But the LCD are catching up to plasmas as far as quality. good luck and just do some research and just go look at them talk to the sales person and ask questions.

mgcox
December 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Def. LCD! Low maintenance, plus you don't get owned by glare like with a plasma.

String Twister
January 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM
lcd-bought 2 yes 2 visio plasmas same day and neither works and the have glass sreens which one was cracked-went back for a lcd sharp and couldnt be more pleased other then the poor sound quality-need the home theater on to watch tv other wise it sounds like a old 19" mono tv:sad:

willevan
January 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I had a 42 inch panasonic 1080p plasma for 2 years loved it still love it.I gave it to my mom as she needed a new TV so I bought a Sony 52 lcd 120 mhz 1080p and quite honestly for the most part I give my plasma the better pic. Esp when watching sports i get some studder in the pic on my LCD which I have read that its not uncommen in LCDs. As far as burn in I didn't have that problem and from the research that is a problem of the past I would leave my DVR paused for over 15 mins and not have burn in.The pic on my Sony for movies is better its a little sharper.Glare is a myth I get glare on both no more on one then the other. Go to a store look at them in action and get what your wallet allows.

Horses&Hunting
January 16th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I have to say I'm all for Plasma. As I did a Plasma vs LCD. I learned that LCD never really show a true black. They are only good for bright rooms. So if you have a dark room the LCD wouldn't be good in it. As the light has to go through the crystals. When at an angle you will have a hard time seeing what is on due to it being dark. Same goes with the new laptops that are out as they have LCD screens. And with the Plasma, does have some worry about the burning, you still can play your ps3 and whatnot on them. They said that sometime when you first get your Plasma that it might burn but it will go away. Over all from what I've read, they are the same just that Plasma is better for darker rooms and LCD is better for brighter rooms.

ColdplayX&Y
January 16th, 2009, 12:19 PM
LCD, go with a Vizio 1080p. They are cheaper but I can tell you first hand they are great quality and with the price differential between a Vizio/Sony you can get a much larger TV without paying a lot more.

Bellows1
January 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
We bought both of our kids Samsung 32" LCD TV's for their rooms. Looking at all of the different TV's on display the Samsung seemed to have the best picture. The sales people at Sears, WalMart and Best Buy all recommended the Samsung over the others.

Webby Alisha
March 31st, 2009, 02:16 AM
The wife and I are looking for a new TV this weekend. Looking at 46-52in screens. In red neck :D terms whats your opinion on LCD or Plasma.

Hi,
I think plasma is good

tall@wide
May 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
After alot of research, I just bought 58 inch plasma. The glare problem is not really an issue to me. Tv's have had glare for many years and no one complained about it. Plus the new plasmas do not have a glare issue in my opinion. Also, the color in plasmas is deeper and they have no pixel problems during sports programming. The only thing I am worried about is burn in. It seems like alot of channels leave their station logo on all the time, or ticker scores stay rolling in the same area.
I think both lcd's and plasmas are great TV's...You really can't go wrong...

Big Country
May 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
IMO after seeing many sets and installing them for a home theater company, i would go with plasma. LCD's are nice and i think eventually will take over in every aspect, but right now plasma is the better of sets for all around situations. LCD's do use less power, less heat, lighter weight, but if you like watching sports or anything with heavy movement go with plasma. I guess im pretty anal though when it comes to that and it drives me crazy, but most people i know dont care and dont notice it that much. just my 2 cents

1080p and 120 mhz in a quality LCD negates any need for plasma. Even the fastest slap shots in a hockey game are flawless.

bustedknuckle
May 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
i got a sony 120hz lcd a few months ago and it is great no motion blur or anything it is just as good or better than my buddy's plasma and it was about the same price.

carlie

Roush54
May 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM
LCD diffentally they got shaper pic and just all around better.

I think when it comes to tvs the bigger the better!