PDA

View Full Version : Archery after Heart surgery?

Rchr
January 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
A good friend of mine and also an AT member (aka Harden 13) has been in the hospital for the last 2 weeks because of heart complications, his heart is only working at 30% capacity. He is going to have open heart surgery because of this. He was a little upset because the doctor told him that he might never be able to shoot a bow again because the sternum may not be strong enough to take the strain. He has asked me to ask if anyone here has had this and if they are able to shoot a bow?

I am also going to ask for some much needed prayers for Harden13 speedy recovery.

Thanks,
Rchr

aboa
January 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
cant help with the first part of the question but will say a prayer

SRIS
January 1st, 2009, 04:50 PM
after open heart surgery the sternum is wired back together with stainless steel wire. It takes about 2 months for the sternum to heal. certainly after 6 months he should be able to resume shooting his bow

Thickets
January 1st, 2009, 05:16 PM
after open heart surgery the sternum is wired back together with stainless steel wire. It takes about 2 months for the sternum to heal. certainly after 6 months he should be able to resume shooting his bow

Let's see now. His Dr. told him he may not be able to shoot a bow again, but you say "he should be able to resume shooting his bow." I sure hope you're a heart surgeon.

Sageboy
January 1st, 2009, 05:21 PM
I can speak on some of this. My dad had a quad bypass and after about 8 months he was good to go as far as pulling the bow. At the time he was pulling around 52 pounds with no issues. Based on his experience I would say your friend should be ok but I'm not a doctor and I'm not saying to go against doctors orders. This is only my experience with my dad.

Thickets
January 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM
I can speak on some of this. My dad had a quad bypass and after about 8 months he was good to go as far as pulling the bow. At the time he was pulling around 52 pounds with no issues. Based on his experience I would say your friend should be ok but I'm not a doctor and I'm not saying to go against doctors orders. This is only my experience with my dad.

Great answer. That's exactly what he was asking for. Fact, not opinion.

*ProLine*
January 1st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Not heart trouble...But Sternum trouble...
I had my Sternum collapse, and I shoot hundreds of arrows a day, 7 days a week....From tuning, to training..
Took almost a year to feel comfortable with it...
Hope he recovers well!

dead eye dick
January 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I would think the big picture is to get your heart straightened out with out that working right it does not matter about anything else at this point , i know of a few people who have had open heart surgery and still shoot , follow your doctors rehab orders go slow which is hard to do and do all the re hab i have been told the genesis bow is a great bow for that, good luck on your upcoming heart surgery it looks like the end of the world now but it will work out keep the faith .

LAMADMAN
January 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
My brother had bypass back in feb. this year. He was shooting his bow and hunted a few times this season. Send a pm to dbk50 and ask him for specifics. BTW he shoots a 50-60# martin cheeta.

field14
January 1st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I had open heart surgery in 2000.....and 12 weeks later, shot my first arrow. It was at light poundage, but the PULLING of the bow wasn't a problem..but that first shot, when it broke....hurt like hell with my sternum. I put the bow away and tried again a couple of weeks later...and it was better...but still couldn't handle a lot of shots.

Now, however, I can shoot just fine, but don't over-test things...I won't shoot over 53 or 54# peak weight, period; but then, I never have anyways, hahaha.

I was left, however, with an intentional tremor...evidently, my neurological response to the heart-lung machine I was on for over 7 hours. Everyone has some type of neurological response and they can't predict what will be affected. With me, it is my left arm and hand...better known as my BOWARM! Drat it. I still shoot, but the days of 300's all the time and high 55+ X-counts are gone.

field14

sanka
January 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
I had triple bypass First week of Feb. 1995 after heart attack and it took me approx. 8 months UNTILL i felt like i wanted to CHANCE it.And that is when i started shooting single cam bows,For me they are easier to draw,,,GARY COFFEY

hilltopper
January 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
One of my best friends had heart surgery a year ago and he is able to shoot his bow at 50 lbs. now. He didn't even pull a bow for 6 months, and started at 35 lbs. and has worked his way up. He told me he wanted to get to 57 or 58 lbs. in a couple of months and be satisfied there.

Nicely
January 1st, 2009, 09:02 PM
Had triple bypass surgery a little over a year ago. My doctor told me I would be lucky if I shot again or returned to my regular line of work even though I didn't have a heart attack and was only 46 years old. He also suggested with in 5-10 years I would likely be re visiting this issue again. I haven't seen this doctor since and have taken the advice of my cardiologist who said I would be better than ever.

I started shooting 10 weeks after surgery and dragged a deer from the woods after 12 weeks. I will admit now that I shouldn't have done either so soon, especially the shooting, but I don't think it caused any ill effects.

Now after a year I shoot the same weight as before. The only limitation I have is I lost some upper body strength which I think I can get back. I still have chest pains from scar tissue which I'm told will be there for a while but is tolerable. My stamina is as good as it's ever been I can walk, bike, hike etc with no limitations.

All the above were done with the support of my cardiologist. My last visit he told me if I wanted to run a marathon he would support it.

There are many factors to consider but I would seek the advice of another doctor. I would think the overall condition of your friends heart would potentially be more limiting than the incision. Do your homework, if I had listened to my first doctor I would not have recovered as well as I did. Be smart if he gets the same prognosis a second time there may be reason to be careful. This is a new lease on life not a death sentence.

God Bless
Matt

KY Clint
January 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
I had Quad Bypass and 5 Stents two years ago after 3 Heart Attacks, and while I can pull lower weights now I can still shoot. I, as others have commented, have a little chest pain from the surgery, but my biggest problem is where they took the vein from my right leg. My leg gives out long before my chest does. I can't bring myself to ride in on a noisy smelly 4 wheeler so I take my time and rest often.

Clint in West Kentucky

FallingCrows
January 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
cant help with the first part of the question but will say a prayer

ditto.

I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing and I'm sure he is thinking about them, but he should be more concerned about more important things, like family and friends, and of course getting back to posting on this forum.

I hope and pray he does Ok.

blue thunder
January 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
I had a bypass in "96." It wasn't very long till I was shooting a 70# bow.I now shoot at 62# with no problems.

Get yourself into a work out program and go from there.

bowhunter96
January 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
I have suffered two heart attacks since age 36 . I had a quad bypass in July 1996 at 40 years old . I was off work and moping around so my friends invited me to shoot Techno Hunt league with them . I started shooting a compound bow a few months later starting at 35 lbs. It hurt , but I needed the exercise and to build myself up as I lost a big part of my muscle tone .

I did suffer heart muscle damage , but I built myself up to shooting a 70 lb. compound and haven't looked back . I mainly hunt out of tree stands , as hunting the mountains isn't to favorable . If I got something down and had to pack or drag it a long way , I'd be in trouble . I harvest several Whitetails a year and bowhunting is a huge part of my life now . I do shoot 3D and even make some harder two day shoots . Archery has salvaged my life . :) Dave

NYBilly
January 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM
I had open heart/aortic valve replacement on April 4 2007 at the age of 32. I went with a pig valve and have no restrictions at all. I was hunting that fall with a Slayer Nitrous X at 49 lbs. Before that I never shot over 58 lbs ever. I now shoot a longow at 43 lbs and checked my hunting bow before season and was surprised it was at 58 and felt much lighter, Mathews DLD an easy cam for me. I did notice change in my preference of a bows physical weight like what Field explained, I used to like more mass like the Hoyts but now find them too heavy after setup.
I did go back in to have my sternum wire removed earlier this year as I broke it goofing around. The Dr. says no limits on what I can do so I'm going to start playing soccer again and possibly sparing.

Rhinos2
January 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
I am 54 yrs old, 4 yrs ago I had to have open heart in Sept of the yr. My doctor told me I shouldn't do any shooting for awhile. I missed the bow season but I was up in NY state rifle hunting in Nov and in the first week of Dec until the middle of feb out shot gunning. I used to shoot my bow at 70lbs but that has changed to 60lbs with no other problems. The main thing is hunting with some good friends that are willing to help you out once you get one down, thats when the real problems can occur. It also depends on exactly whats going on with his heart of course. Help him out when needed and all should be good.

field14
January 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
To continue my saga....I used to play "Open division" racquetball. I had to give up the tournaments, but still play r'ball 3-4 times per week; just not the tournaments.

In addition, my cardiologist is extremely pleased that I took up road bicycling three years ago. This past year, I logged 5,300 miles between April and November, 2008. In addition, I also PASSED a stress test for the first time since my by-pass operation in 2000. Needless to say, the cardiologist is in full support of what I'm doing...but does caution me not to take up tournament racquetball nor road RACING on the bicycle, hahaha.

The intentional tremor seems to be the only ill effect from the surgery...even my right leg is just fine...but I do have problems with the small area of the left leg they "tore up." Go figure.

Listen to your body...it will tell you loud and clear when it has about had "enough." You learn this quickly once you've had the elephant on your chest, hahaha.

field14

frankensteel
January 2nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
I had quintuple (five!!) bypass surgery last New Year's eve!! I was out hunting the day before and the following morning I ended up in the hospital.
Any way approx. ten weeks after the surgery I began a light exercise program which included working the upper body in anticipation of shooting my bow. This was a slow process but I worked my way back to within ten pounds of my previous setting which was too high anyway.
I was determined to get back to shooting and hunting and fishing. This is what kept me going and what keeps me going
I'll be out hunting tomorrow morning (with the flintlock- it's too cold for the bow!)

SRIS
January 2nd, 2009, 12:43 AM
heart sureon ,no, but over 25 years as a cardiovascular surgical physician asst., participating in over 10,000 open heart procedures and post-operative follow-ups, a somewhat educated opinion. Of course follow the surgeons advice but with rehab, physical therapy and prayers including mine Harden13will do just fine.

tstamm
January 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Fairly new member here but thought I'd add a bit to this thread with a view from the other side of the fence. I'm a board certified perfusionist (C.C.P.) in pracitce for 20 years. Perfusionists manage the patients care while they are on the heart lung machine as well as handle other areas of patient management. I have seen many patients that have been able to resume full activity post cardiac surgery proceedures. Risk factors such as previous heart attacks, diabetes, prior cardiac surgery, lung issues and others all are factors that have influence on the outcome and how well the patient will do long term.
I's certainly possible to make a full recovery. We do see patients that change their lives post-op by getting in shape, loose weight, stop smoking and live long happy lives. Hope your friend does well and makes a full recovery.

Rchr
January 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
Wow, thanks for all the responses and prayes. Thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences. I will print this out and pass it on to Harden13 and it will probably give him something to look forward to. I know archery is a hobby that he very much enjoys and he looks forward to the bowhunting season every year.
The Doctors concern was that the sternum was not going to hold up to the stress of drawing the bow.
To all those that have gone thru this I hope that you keep recovering and continue growing healthier.

Thanks again,
Rchr

andy stowe
January 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
A good friend of mine and also an AT member (aka Harden 13) has been in the hospital for the last 2 weeks because of heart complications, his heart is only working at 30% capacity. He is going to have open heart surgery because of this. He was a little upset because the doctor told him that he might never be able to shoot a bow again because the sternum may not be strong enough to take the strain. He has asked me to ask if anyone here has had this and if they are able to shoot a bow?

I am also going to ask for some much needed prayers for Harden13 speedy recovery.

Thanks,
Rchr

Prayerds for your swift recovery.I was able to shoot again after my sternum healed.Just take it slow.The worst day was when i sneezed both arms went numb.I only did it once.Also at about the two week mark i was laying on the couch feeling sorry for myself when my 2 year old snuck up on me and hit me across the chest with a golf club.I got up to a standing position when everything stopped moving(muscles,air etc).Kid knew he had messede up and made tracks.Would have killed him if i could have caught him.In has been 17 years and i still plan on getting even with him.

ryninger
January 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks,
Rchr

I work in Cardiac Rehab, think of Physical Therapy for Open Heart patients.... What we educate our patients on is that it'll take a full 6 months for a healthy adults sternum to get back to 100%. So the longer he waits to start shooting the better, if he pulls the wires through his sternum he could need surgery again. Which means back to square one on the recovery.

If I had to go through open heart I would weight about 8 months and start slow and with a light poundage. Build back up gradually within comfort level. We have a hunter in the hospital now that had bypass 14 months ago come back in. He separated his sternum and it had to be closed/wired again!

Wish him the best and a speedy recovery. He'll need alot of support this first month post-op as he won't be able to much physically (activity restrictions), and can lead to "bad days" mentally.

ABTABB
January 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM
My Dad had OH surgery last Year, His Doctors told him to give it 6 months, and it would heal stronger than before. He waited 6 months, started shooting again, and took his first deer this fall. Prayers sent for Your friend... He'll be shooting in no time...

kc hay seed
January 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
i went through it when i was 51 years old.within 6 months i was back out there shooting.i am soon to be 70 years old and i shoot all i can. i still pull about #57.you can do what ever you want to do dont ever give up.best of luck to you,prayers sent also

simi06
January 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Rchr,
I'm 39 and a couple of years ago I had a septal Myectomy for Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy and now have 38% pump output and also I have congestive heart failure. Yeah! I shoot 71 lbs. and it took a while to get back to that. Please have him heed the advice of the physical theropist and wait the 6 months. I started to lift heavy weights after 1 year but then the congestive took over and now I am a man of leasure. (lazy arse)
When finances are better I will drop to 60 lbs or atleast a smoother drawing bow. But this is all I have now so it will do.
Tell him to be strong be positve and be patient.
Praying for him and for a friend such as you.

Hardtimes
January 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
I never had heart surgery.I had three heart attacks 06 ,07, and a week before Christmas08. My doctor said there was not anything she could do for me. I do shoot my bow at 50lbs. No I don't take it to easy. I do what my body tells me. I,am 60 now, we are always a heart beat away from death.I will pray for comfort for your friend. Hardtimes. Semper FI

Rchr
January 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Just to let you know that my friend Harden13 had his heart surgery on Tuesday and everything went well. I finally got to speak to him over the phone (briefly) and he assured me that everything was OK and that everything seems to be going on course.

Thanks for your prayers,
Rchr