PDA

View Full Version : Recurve Help: Bow ID and Broken limb

Pirogue Pete
January 6th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Help.
I am posting this for a friend. His son purchased this used recurve, and broke the limb trying to string it up.

From the little that I know, i appears someone had the wrong length string on it. The bow says 58", but the string measures the 52" end of loop to end of loop. The limb cracked when they tried to string her up.

The bow was built on 9-2-94 from the pictures by Allen and Darby. Called a "Whitetail Magic Recurve"

Does anyone know how to contact this manufacturer? Or better yet, would anyone know of another set of limbs that would work on this bow riser?

I assume that repairing the limb is not really an option, but if anyone has an opinion, it would be a huge help. What are their options? I feel bad...the boy just started his first part time job to pay for this bow, and then broke it stringing it up

Thanks in advance.
-Pete

timduvall
January 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM
unfortunately, thats a bad one...delmaninations like that are impossible to fix and still be able to shoot the bow. Be thankful it let go when stringing and not at full draw

trapperDave
January 7th, 2009, 09:35 AM
probably needed a 54" string. But that wouldnt cause the break, just a high brace hgt.

Using the step thru method of stringing?

Viper1
January 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Pete -

That looks like a dry glue joint. Odd on a bow that was (presumably) SHOT for 14 years - but not impossible. Sorry, I don't know of the manufacturer - kind of the problem with the custom guys / small shops.

There are folks out there who repair bows, but that type of delamination would make me real nervous. Last resort - eBay - a lot of stuff does shot up there.

If you have to use that riser, you might find some one you make you a new PAIR of limbs, but it won't be the same bow.

Viper1 out.

Hawksnest88
January 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
If he is just starting out, order a set of Chiron Polaris limbs in 66" 40# from Lancaster Archery at $55 per set. You will have to drill the inside of the limb part way through to fit the locater pin. If the pin is inserted in the limb, just pull it out with pliars, drill the exact location on the new limb, and put it on. If you have anyone local who has built bows from compounds or repaired bows like this, they can fit the limbs up in an hour. Depending on that riser length, and limb mounting angle, you should be able to have a shootable bow. Don't sell these limbs short, they shoot very good on the old compound risers like the Black Bear, PSE, Hoyt, etc. I and friends have built many of them. Fit the string 4" short of unstrung length, measuring nock to nock around the outside of the recurves, to start with. Bill G,
The bottom Polaris limb has the weight on it
Also SC PA.

rwsbow
January 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I second what HawksNest88 said..Polaris limbs will work extremely well...like he said, it will be a different bow, but the limbs are very good shooters, while being very economical..I use them on many compound-to-recurve conversions and have had excellent results..