Archery Talk Forum banner

Draw Length

642 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bakejr 
#1 ·
If my draw length measures 28", Do I need to consider the D-loop that I'll be using with a release ? going down to a 27" or 27 1/2 or do I keep my draw length at 28" ? Thanks

#2 ·
No your draw length is your draw length. The loop adjust your anchor point.

If you need to go down to 27-27.5" in draw when you add a loop....your draw was too long to start with. :wink:

#3 ·
If you want to keep the same anchor point that you have now, you will need to shorten you bow's drawlength. If part of your anchor is the string coming across the nose or corner of the mouth, you may lose this with shortening the draw length.

This is pretty typical with a wrist type release. If your using any kind of handle target release with a rope, you can get pretty close to your original set-up with a d-loop an may not have to worry about making any DL adjustments.

#4 ·
Right enough not to disagree with. So times 2.

#6 · (Edited)
When you say your draw lenght is 28, is that shooting fingers or with a release on the string? If it was shooting fingers you might be ok depends on your new anchor point with the release. Also some releases are adjustable, you can turn them in or out to tune them to where you need. If you were shooting with a release on the string than a extra 1/2 inch or so might be able to be made up with your release adjustment. For most people draw length stays the same because with release or not achor point is usually the arrow nock in the corner of the mouth or close. Ultimatlly you have to do what feels right (no majic formula), when you have your anchor point figured out with your release and dloop, your bow arm should be just unlocked (elbow) and maybe slightly rotated out. Good luck!:lol3:

#7 ·
I shot with a release attached to the string for years and when I switched to a loop i had trouble creeping forward. I was able to buy a release with a shorter distance from the jaws to the trigger to adjust for this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.