Archery Talk Forum banner

06 Hoyt Protec Cam Change

800 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  TMan51 
#1 ·
I just bought a 06 protec that has 60 pound limbs and cam and a half that goes to 28.5 inch draw. I want to put the new spiral x cams on it in 29.5 inch draw. I know my poundage is gonna change but didnt know if id gain or loose poundage. any ideas

#5 ·
Spirals do eat a bit of weight.

If you pick a DL at the top of the cam & 1/2 DL range, it will lose less than a spiral at the bottom of the DL range.

That said, keep an eye on the AT classifieds. It usually doesn't take too long to locate a set of limbs with a def rating you need. Then, like a good AT citizen, you sell the old ones to cover the price of the new ones, +/- a couple of bucks, and everyone becomes happier.

Spirals are definately worth the effort though.

#6 ·
SpiralX

Call Hoyt Tech Support and find out the limb def. you have on the 06 w/ Cam & 1/2.

Secondly, find out from them what you will need in limb def. for 60 lbs. using the NEW SpiralX(actually string lengths and def. are the same as the old Spirals)

Your gonna be close in def. but not having access to the numbers I can't be for sure.

I think Hoyt Tech's could field a heckuva lot less calls if they would simply post limb def. stats w/ the rest of the technical info on their website. Seriously though, I think it boils down to selling new bows versus us backyard mechanics swapping Limbs and Cams...lol

#7 ·
Call Hoyt Tech Support and find out the limb def. you have on the 06 w/ Cam & 1/2.

Secondly, find out from them what you will need in limb def. for 60 lbs. using the NEW SpiralX(actually string lengths and def. are the same as the old Spirals)

Your gonna be close in def. but not having access to the numbers I can't be for sure.

I think Hoyt Tech's could field a heckuva lot less calls if they would simply post limb def. stats w/ the rest of the technical info on their website. Seriously though, I think it boils down to selling new bows versus us backyard mechanics swapping Limbs and Cams...lol
All of this is totally true.

But I have found that they will not supply any information for non-standard changes, because they don't want "backyard mechanics" swapping limbs and cams to extend the life of existing bows. If you can get that from Hoyt, you must have some sort of special relationship.

I've often wondered if there was some way to set up a database for cam/limb deflection on AT. I find that if you swap limbs on a riser tinkering around, you can often predict the end point for weight, or def rating, to look for with pretty good accuracy. You can also look for a bow that has limbs you need with a fair amount of confidence, and often buy an entire bow for the cost of the limbs from Hoyt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.