PDA

View Full Version : Homemade grip source for wood?

mattd4348
January 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Does any know of a source to buy wood from for bow grips? It looks like Torqueless and Tronjo grips on here are made from Dymondwood? Laminated Birch infused with dye and glue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Matt Here's a pic of one I just bought.

OHIOBUCK
January 14th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Does any know of a source to buy wood from for bow grips? It looks like Torqueless and Tronjo grips on here are made from Dymondwood? Laminated Birch infused with dye and glue? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Matt Here's a pic of one I just bought.

How about laminated gun stock blank..............they run about $70.......all different kinds of woods and colors.

WHITETAIL1000
January 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
try and google woodcraft.com

gus/jake
January 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Have you tried the specialty saw mills that cut for flooring and furniture? I was in to making turkey calls a few years ago and had one mill where I would get kiln dried walnut.

Hoosieroutdoors
January 14th, 2009, 05:08 PM
You can go to ebay and search for the type of wood you want in a Knife scale,, you just have to measure the length and width and thickness of your brip and make sure you get a knife scale or blank that will allow you to make the same sized grip. I have gotten several knife scales off ebay and made grips out of cocobolo,teak,rosewood,for my customers that requested them. You can get some highly figurative wood scales on there as there are some great wood stores,,some of them if you email them might cut you a set of blanks the size you need.

Dweis
January 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Same stuff is used for knife handles. Texas knife works I think it is.

kris bassett
January 14th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Ebay!! Type in Knife scales.

Kris

xringbob
January 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
i use to make pool cues for fun and kicks check out www.exoticglobalwoods.com the prices on rare and exotic woods are not bad

smokeeter
January 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM

try these guys, they supply to most laminate gunstock manufacturers

http://www.rutply.com/

mattd4348
January 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the input, that is exactly what I'm looking for. The woodworking supply shops and the gun stock maker's get the wood somewhere. Smokeeter and xringbob hit it right on the head. I'm going to try and make some grips, after I order some wood, and I'll post pics here once I get them going. thanks again to every one for helping out with info. Matt