Archery Talk Forum banner

Arrow Flight and Spine Questions----HELP!

869 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  zimtown 
#1 ·
My bow seems to be shooting better than me, and I can still clack arrows together at 20 yards indoor.

I think I can see the tail of the arrow wagging around on the way to the target, but MAYBE it's my eyes trying to watch the arrow......

The question I have is, is this normal? Or do I need to find some more spine.

I'm maxed out at about 60 lbs on my Bowtech Guardian, 28.5 inch draw, with Gold Tip 5575 arrows at about 385 grains with a 100 grain tip.

should I switch to a lighter tip? Any other ideas?

I might put a lighted nock on it and have someone watch the arrow for me.

Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Do you have different colored vanes, 2 of one and 1 of another? Many are able to see the arrow rotate because of this and think the arrow fish tailing.

#4 ·
I would bet you are seeing the odd color rotate. Even with a "factory fletch" they usually have a 1 or 2 degree offset. That will make it rotate, thou not as much as a helicle would.

Maybe you are gripping the bow and inducing torque, which would cause your arrows to kick at the point of release. Your bow would jerk slightly to the left of your a righty and vice versa if your a lefty.

Maybe your bow is out of center. and your arrow is either porpusing or fishtailing as it leaves the bow. Shoot it through paper (have a couplr guys do it if possible to eliminate a torque problem) and make sure your getting a bullet hole.

Your arrow seems to be correct, though your straightness tolerance may be poor. Shoot a few brands of properly spined arrows and see if they fly better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.