Archery Talk Forum banner

Using a draw board...

962 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Grand River Zip 
#1 ·
What is the proper technique for checking draw length and weight using a draw board?

On mine I've noticed that once the valley is entered weight continues to drop to a point than begins to rise. Do you measure at the lowest point in the valley?

I'm assuming that that the weight begins to rise once you reach the stop and begin pulling against the limbs without any cam rotation, is this correct?

#2 ·
You measure d/l by subtracting 1 3/4" from your true draw. So if you are a 29" draw then your arrow should be at 27 1/4" at the berger hole. As for draw weight you wouldnt want to check it on a draw board. You'd wont to put it on a scale and check to see where it peaks out the highest to see what you are drawing.

#3 ·
Thanks, but I am not concerned about arrow length and a draw board is probably the best way to measure bow weight.

But , maybe my question was not clear enough; What I am looking for is what is the proper point in the valley to use as a reference, the lowest let off weight?

#4 ·
Your doing it right, you can also try this

Draw your bow back and have someone mark your arrow where it is on the rest, do it a few times, to get an average.

Then put your bow in the draw board and draw it back to the same spot, marked on the arrow, this will tell you your holding weight.

You can also do a bow force curve by graphing your draw weight at every
1-2"s this will show where you hit you max draw weight.

#5 ·
Draw Board

A draw board is a valuable tool and every archer should know how to use one!!!

To answer your question yes...as your draw weight bottoms out and starts to increase, that point in that particular draw cycle, is the bottom of the valley...you can manipulate the draw cycle to certain degrees through cam orientation to produce the feel and performance you prefer!

#6 ·
A draw board is a valuable tool and every archer should know how to use one!!!

To answer your question yes...as your draw weight bottoms out and starts to increase, that point in that particular draw cycle, is the bottom of the valley...you can manipulate the draw cycle to certain degrees through cam orientation to produce the feel and performance you prefer!
Correct, this bottom of the valley is also the CORRECT point to measure DL. NOT once you get to the draw stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.