Archery Talk Forum banner

2004 Mighty Mite VFT

967 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  optimus110103 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just recently bought a mighty mite, and I goofed! I shot the bow twice, BTW I love it! but on the third shot, I torqued the bow to the left due to a cramp in my wrist, and when I did the string popped off the cam. I don't have a bow press, and I have never worked on a bow, but I managed to get the string and cable off the bow without doing any damage with the help of a friend. I just grabbed the limbs and pulled them in by hand as he slipped the string and cable off of the cam. the bow has 60# limbs, and im a pretty stout guy, so it wasnt hard for me to pull the limbs in. I am going to replace the string and cable anyway, since I bought the bow used. My question is this,the string slightly nicked the mod, and the cam where they come together. I was going to replace the mod anyway since the length was too short for me but do I need to replace the cam? It isn't bad, I will try to upload a picture. but if it isn't safe I will replace it. its a very slight mar on the edge of the groove.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I've cleaned up quite a few cams that had "dings" in them. A nick, if small, smoothed up won't hurt. In the longest run of the groove I've seen small chunks missing and the cam still performed - most come from being dropped out of tree stands. Edges of the groove swelled from being dropped are fairly easy to file down and smooth up. So if not bent your cam most likely will work.

#5 ·
All is good

Well I brought my bow into the dealer, and they got me all set, I dropped another $400 into it and accesories. A good release, quiver, a case, and a dozen carbon express arrows. Hope they will suffice. they seem to shoot fine. I went with a winners choice string and cable set, and its ok but it seems louder than the old string. I think its the X-coat crap, or whatever, that and they didnt put the speed nocks or silencers on the new string.

#6 ·
File down the nick or ding. Hard to see in the pic. A small set if "mini" files can be your best friend for about $5. Put some string leeches or bow jax in that string. Or try an STS. It should be louder without dampeners like your old set.

#7 ·
Got a set of bowjax on the way should be here tommorow. I tried the string leeches, and I didnt like them they didnt do much for the noise and they added considerable hand shock. I hear that bowjax are better. so I am going to try them.

#8 ·
put bowjax on cable and one on the top of your string and install a string supressor if you want to quiet it down all the way! This is what I found to work best! Keep the 1 bowjax for a spare, make sure to serve the one on top of the string in!

#9 ·
until I can get the string stop, can i just throw both bowjax on the string,? I backed the limb bolts all the way out 3 turns, and it dropped from 64lbs to 52lbs, It doesn't seem like I lost that much speed at least not compared to how much quieter the bow is. also the hand shock is nearly gone altogether.

#10 ·
I myself have an 04 mighty mite that's served me well. other than two sets of limbs in 05 an another set in august of last year before an illinois trip (all covered under their superb warranty). I'm now the proud owner of a brand new guardian purchashed last weekend, the mite must now serve as backup but a bow i'll never do without.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.