Archery Talk Forum banner

Iceman & Ripcord -- Am I missing something?

2K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  tom_faber 
#1 ·
Got a new Diamond Iceman - put a Ripcord rest on it tonight deciding to start setting it up.

The Ripcord does not have enough adjustment up and down for the launcher to clear the riser when it drops during the shot. If i adjust the ripcord all the way up as high as it will safely go, the launcher still makes contact, and its loud.

Is there something easy I'm missing here? Am I supposed to put a silencing material on the riser? Is the launcher supposed to make contact?

On the Pearson Stealth, it fit perfectly with plenty of adjustment. I had it so that it just barely cleared the shelf which also had a soft covering material on it.

Thanks in advance - I realize not many people have the Iceman yet so this thread might not get many replies.

E_Brown

#4 ·
Yeh

Yeh I did move it up, but to get it to clear the shelf the arrow is no longer centered with the burger button....it would be about 3/8in higher. Plus the rest is hardly even secured at that point.

It seems as though the Ripcord is not going to work on the Iceman unfortunately.

Wow, I shot the bow tonight with a new HHA sight and whisker biscuit and it is really really sweet.

Wasn't sure what to expect as i did not shoot this bow before buying it from a fellow AT'er, but it is certainly worth the coin i spent on it. I'm a very satisfied customer!

#7 ·
accuracy

Yeh, I am considering the biscuit but i'm afraid its going to tear up my blazers over time.

It is easy to setup, quiet, and shoots very well.

I really liked the Ripcord.

On a brighter note, the Iceman is a true pleasure to shoot. Previous bow was a Pearson Stealth which i liked too but there is really no comparison IMO.

#8 ·
I thought the whole idea was getting the arrow away from you bow in a clean fashion. How can that happen if you have a bunch of bristles contacting your arrow-you don't want anything touching the arrow do you??? Does anyone shoot great groups with a biscuit long yardadges?

#10 ·
Check out the G5 Expert II. I put one on My Admiral, and have another coming for My Hoyt. Easy to set-up and adjust, and very quiet:wink: I ran into the same thing when I got My Admiral. Any other rest I tried I had to set the arrow well above the berger hole to give the rest room to drop.

#12 ·
Same problem...

...different bow. I put a Ripcord on my Bowtech 82nd AB - couldn't raise it any higher - drop away contact with the riser shelf created a loud slap sound - switched to a WB and [get this] had the same sound - it wasn't the slap of the drop away but the string contact with the STS - I've eliminated the factory STS and went with a Norway String Tamer Juior. Quiet!!! Go figure...

#13 ·
biscuit

Well, the ripcord doesn't work with Iceman unless you adjust it way too high and its barely holding on.

Love the bow, and the WB is really a surprise. I've only got out to 40yds with the bow so far, but the grouping is excellent!

#14 ·
I just bought a 2009 Diamond Stud and the dealer installed a Ripcord. He installed so that it slaps the rest and he added a bit of felt to soften the noise.

The Ripcord has two centerline riser bolt holes. He installed it using the first, which is slotted for adjustment. But it looks like he could've used the 2nd, which would've put the rest almost past the riser - overdraw style.

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that you want the rest to fall completely away so that you could use flu-flu fletching if desired. I found that mine is installed so that you must use cock-fletch up in order to avoid fletching contact - again this doesn't make sense with a fall-away.

Have you contacted Ripcord or Bowtech? I wonder if there is something special going on here as I thought the Ripcord was a pretty popular rest.

#15 ·
I asked the folks at Ripcord and here is the response (please see picture of my setup):

"From looking at your setup in the picture, you are not allowing the Ripcord to work properly. What I mean by that is when the launcher is down in the level position, it rests on an internal dampening pad(inside the body). The way your rest is set up, the launcher is coming down on your shelf and is angling up. It should sit level on the shelf. The reason there is four holes on the launcher is to accommodate the fact that different bow companies have lowered the burger button( the mounting hole for the rest). I would recommend:

1. Raise the rest so that your launcher lays level on your shelf. If you run out of vertical adjustment on the dovetail, push your launcher forward and use the two back holes to connect it to the shaft. This will level your launcher. In doing this you will have to make sure the cord is reset, as you have moved your rest.
  2. Cock the rest in the upright position, loosen your football, come to a full draw, then tighten the football. Test your cord setting a few times, making sure that as you release forward even slightly, your launcher drops.

If you are still having problems, please call us and we will walk you through correcting this problem. "

#18 ·
Ripcord

I haven't contacted Ripcord about this problem yet. The one time i did call they sent me 2 new launchers Priority Mail - no questions asked.

I'll give them a call and see if they have a fix for this. Good Idea ;)

#20 ·
I haven't contacted Ripcord about this problem yet. The one time i did call they sent me 2 new launchers Priority Mail - no questions asked.

I'll give them a call and see if they have a fix for this. Good Idea ;)
Is your Ripcord laying on the riser? Mine is. The folks at Ripcord looked at my setup and believe that it should adjust up. Given that they want you to have a 45* angle on the pull-cord, I'm not sure it will work if the rest was set way back so that the arm is past the riser.

What I'm worried about is that Diamond moved things for 2009 and the Ripcord can't ever work on this bow. No - I don't like the WB and yes I do like the Hostage rest, but then I'm back to watching my fletching orientation.

I've been searching the web and I haven't found anything about issues with the new 2009 Diamond bows.

Diamond Stud Ripcord setup

#19 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts.

To recap, I bought a new Diamond Stud and let the dealer chose the goodies to outfit it with. The Ripcord rest was installed such that it slaps the riser (noise) and only accomodates specific fletch orientation (I was hoping that a fall-away would eliminate that fumbling at twilite).

I asked the folks at Ripcord and here is the response (please see picture of my setup):

"From looking at your setup in the picture, you are not allowing the Ripcord to work properly. What I mean by that is when the launcher is down in the level position, it rests on an internal dampening pad(inside the body). The way your rest is set up, the launcher is coming down on your shelf and is angling up. It should sit level on the shelf. The reason there is four holes on the launcher is to accommodate the fact that different bow companies have lowered the burger button( the mounting hole for the rest). I would recommend:

1. Raise the rest so that your launcher lays level on your shelf. If you run out of vertical adjustment on the dovetail, push your launcher forward and use the two back holes to connect it to the shaft. This will level your launcher. In doing this you will have to make sure the cord is reset, as you have moved your rest.
  2. Cock the rest in the upright position, loosen your football, come to a full draw, then tighten the football. Test your cord setting a few times, making sure that as you release forward even slightly, your launcher drops.

If you are still having problems, please call us and we will walk you through correcting this problem.
"

Pictures of setup:

my Ripcord setup

Anyways, again I'm sorry for the silly multiple postings. Perhaps this info will be of help to you and maybe you've figured out a solution for your Iceman that will work for my Stud.

#22 ·
riser

yeh, mine did contact the riser just like that

i dont think the ripcord can work on the iceman - if you want it not to touch

let me know what you find out.

i just ordered a G5 Expert II.....probably sell the ripcord, too bad cuz i really liked that rest.

-e

#25 ·
G5

My solution was a G5 Expert II. Its a great rest, very easy to setup, super quiet, and i'm shooting better than ever.

This rest and the Tru-Ball Short n Sweet have really sealed the deal. I'm done spending money now :)

#26 ·
My solution was a G5 Expert II. Its a great rest, very easy to setup, super quiet, and i'm shooting better than ever.

This rest and the Tru-Ball Short n Sweet have really sealed the deal. I'm done spending money now :)
I tried the short n sweet. Very nice release. I only used the hook, not the string. I didn't go with it because it was a little too much of a surprise and the hook was a little picky about grabbing the D-loop. So I went with a different side-loader that gave a more secure feeling. Maybe I'll look at it again when I get a bit more experience.

#28 ·
Try to email Diamond again. I emailed them several times about getting my riser powder coated. Never got an email so I went on their site yesterday to email them to see this message:

"Due to a technical error, emails sent from our contact forms between the dates of 01/22/09 to 02/23/09 may not have reached our Customer Service department. We are unable to recover these emails or any information regarding their senders. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this error. If you have any questions or comments, please submit them again or call our Customer Service department at 877-447-0293."

So I resubmitted an email and an hour later I got an email back.

Great CS IMO.

I shoot an Gander Mountain bow by Diamond and have the same issue with the ripcord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.