Archery Talk Forum banner

Tiller tuning/ Fingers or release

746 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  archerm3 
#1 ·
I am thinking of tiller tuning my bow. I have a couple questions, does it work best for fingers or release or does it even matter? Also what has been your experience with tiller tuning does it help with left right groups or just high, low groups? thanks

#3 · (Edited)
tiller tuning on a compound can only slightly affect timing on binaries, and nock travel on single cams (really, all styles slightly, more dramatic on single cams) . It has a large effect on riser/grip angle, affecting your grip on the bow, the comfort of it, which can have a dramatic affect on your tune, unless you're a hooter shooter.

When your tiller isn't even, it equates to the limbs having unequal spring rates because of geometry. The difference is negligible in most cases. Because of the effect it has on your grip, I think a lot of shooters give it more creedence than it deserves. I adjust mine for the grip angle intentionally.

#4 ·
Pulling up or down

A good reason to play with tiller tuning is if you have a problem pulling up or down on the spot. Most bows should be even tiller but if you struggle to bring the bow up on the spot increase the top limb just a 'tad' to make it easier and vice-versa for coming down into the spot.

#5 ·
what I found

Well I played around with it yesterday. I found that when I added up to a full turn in the bottom it made no difference in my groups. When I added a full turn in the top it brought my group down from the top of the 1.5 inch circle to the X in the center. I tried this on three seporate occasions yesterday just to see if results were duplicated and the same results every time. I Now I am not sure if I want to shoot it that way because I have a tendency to drop the arrow about a half to 1 inch when I shoot and am affraid I will drop to many out of the spot. Is this reasonable? Or am I just a scare-dee cat.

#6 ·
Well I played around with it yesterday. I found that when I added up to a full turn in the bottom it made no difference in my groups. When I added a full turn in the top it brought my group down from the top of the 1.5 inch circle to the X in the center. I tried this on three seporate occasions yesterday just to see if results were duplicated and the same results every time. I Now I am not sure if I want to shoot it that way because I have a tendency to drop the arrow about a half to 1 inch when I shoot and am affraid I will drop to many out of the spot. Is this reasonable? Or am I just a scare-dee cat.
This is because tiller is affecting the grip angle, as I said, which raises your sight pin(s), which will drop your arrows, if you didn't adjust your sight between limb bolt changes. It's not the location of the group, but the size of your group that matters. If you are dropping a flyer, that is a separate form issue that cannot be corrected with bow tuning. You may be sacrificing more points by hitting high by sight adjustment just to take care of the occasional low flying flyer which was a form error.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.