Archery Talk Forum banner

Help for a newby

673 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  152p&y 
#1 ·
Hey everybody my name is Nate and i'm a newby here but i do have a question for everybody. Im new to archery and I plan on doing some Elk hunting here in a Arizona. Im shooting a Mathews Dxt at 65 Pounds, 300gr radial X weaves with 100gr mechanical rage 2 Blade heads, i also have a qad fall away rest. I do have tight groupings at 20-50 yards but start to go a little off center on up (60-70). My question is how do i align the heads to the vanes or do i really worry about that and are these heads ok for elk hunting.

#2 ·
Welcome to AT!

Personaly, I've never worried about aligning my broadheads with my vanes but it won't hurt anything if you do.

Your inserts for your arrows (the aluminum portion that is inserted into the arrow, sorry if over simplifying this) are glued in. Most shops use some kind of epoxy for this, so you may be in for a little work. Call your shop to find out what they used; below I'm giving direction and assuming the use of epoxy versus hot melt.

You'll need to VERY carefully heat up the insert just to the point where it breaks the epoxy (or do a search for the drill-bit trick) and then remove the insert and let everything cool.

You can then re-insert the insert using hot melt glue, but again be careful as you can get these hot enough to melt/distort the carbon. The hot melt will allow you to easily heat of the point/insert and rotate for the proper alignment.

I use hot melt on my carbons after years of using all kinds of epoxy. You'll lose the occasional point on a 3-D target but the same will happen with most epoxies.

Your broadheads will be fine. I've always used NAP Thunderheads for elk but if you're using those ones with the 2 inch cutting diameter, you should have to many issues!

#3 ·
Lets assume your inserts are already installed.

IF you still want to do this... Have a field tip screwed in and pliers ready.

SLOWLY heat the field tip at the tip, letting the heat work its way into the insert. Do not apply heat too close to the carbon shaft or its junk!

As the insert glue warms, it will sometimes slip the insert out about 1/16". or you can suddenly smell the glue. At this point, grab your pliers and get a hold of the field tip and pull/twist, working the insert out.

Now, after everything has cooled: screw in your broadheads into your inserts. Apply glue to insert and put into shaft, rotating head so blades line up with fletching and let dry. repeat as needed.

OR: leave your insert alone this time and strip your fletching, and re-fletch so your jig lines up with your blades.

#4 ·
no need to align BHs to vanes, it really doesnt change flight if the bows tuned. it wont hurt if you do either

#6 ·
Dont worry about lining up the head with the vanes. Spin your arrows and check for wobble, its more important to have the heads coming straight out of the arrows. When you say your arrows go off center at 60 yds do you mean they are all to one side or just spreading out from a tight group?

#9 ·
Mechanicals vs fixed...

To date I have not used the Rage heads, so take this for what it is worth. I would think that with an animal the size of an elk, with their heavy bone structure, You'd be better off with a cut on contact fixed blade design. Just my two cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.