Archery Talk Forum banner

arrow selections???

602 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TMKBRLLC 
#1 ·
with so many different arrows out there from eastons to carbon express to gold tip what is the best way to select arrows for my bow. i shoot a martin monster buck hunter 28 in dl. with 60 lb pull it is my hunting setup and don't want to spend a fortune on trying to get the right arrow. do you want a stiff arrow shaft 3in or 4in or even 2in. ne advice would be appreciated.

#3 ·
All arrow manufacturers have there own arrow selection charts. Look them up and see what they recommend for SPINE. Be concerned about spine (stiffness). Pick arrows within the spine range you need, then look at other specs such as straightness and weight tolerance.

There may be several shafts in your spine range with different weights. Lighter weight will give you more speed. Heavier will give you more pentration potential (momentum). Pick your poison and go with it. I'll be one to tell you right out that at 60# and 28" you have enough bow that any arrow you pick will give enough momentum for hunting, as long as it's spined well.

I'll also tell you right now that you need something with a spine rating (deflection) of .400. In an Easton that would be 400. In carbon Express a 250 or 4560. In Gold Tip XT or Expedition it's a 5575.

There is an interactive arrow selection chart on www.bowjackson.com that you can use. Maybe one on www.huntersfriend.com, too. Either way, there are so many arrow choices nobody can tell you what is best. It's pretty hard to get anything bad these days. You can't go wrong with the likes of Easton/Beman, or Gold tip. Carbon Express are very good but way overpriced if you ask me.

Hope this helps.

#4 · (Edited)
I just had a notion so logged on to www.Gandermountain.com and they have a good sale price on GoldTip XT arrows. XT 5575 is $33.75/6. Expeditions are $30/6.

Bear in mind this is full length. You have to cut them and this must be done with a high speed cutoff saw. Just thought I'd mention it though.

#5 ·
Bfisher has the right idea. The other thing I will mention is the difference in the spine consistentcy. Easton and the new carbon express as well as victory and carbon tech are the best in this. It will help the arrow to arrow group the tighter the tolerance is and will show much better in broadheads. Broadheads will shoot better on a stiff arrow then a weak arrow so when looking if you are on the edge go with the stiifer shaft. There is NOTHING wrong with gold tip or any other arrow its just what a guy wants/can afford. You will not see a huge difference if you will not be shooting 40+ yards this is were you will see the difference in your groups. Hope this helps

#6 ·
AND victory arrows can be had on here from sellers starting at $53 per dozen for the .006 straight Vforce, the V3 .003 are $70 per dozen. They seem to be a pretty good arrow and definitely affordable

#8 ·
A little reverse planning will save you from wasting money. You need to know your cut length, point weight & you already know your d/l and d/lb. All these come into play when selecting spine. Basically how much you are willing to pay determines brand and type. Also keep in mind the recommended min. finished arrow weight and F.O.C. % for your set up. As far as fletching, again your finished set up plays part in selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.