PDA

View Full Version : Deisel truck repairs....

MoNofletch
February 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
The EGR valve went out on my Liberty CRD. It I didn't have the EXTENDED warranty it would have cost me almost $900!! Is that normal? Anyone know about these trucks? Dodge/Jeep mechanics?

spookit
February 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
probley:mg:

Slim37KS
February 23rd, 2009, 10:32 PM
The EGR valve went out on my Liberty CRD. It I didn't have the EXTENDED warranty it would have cost me almost $900!! Is that normal? Anyone know about these trucks? Dodge/Jeep mechanics?

Yes, Those things are buried and a pain to get to. Im a Chrysler Master tech for a dealer in Wichita, and I hate those little Italian diesels in those things. major pain to work on, everything is crammed in there tight as Im sure you can see. Gimme a Cummins anyday!
List price through Mopar on the valve is 290.00 depending how much the dealer marked it up through their pricing matrix it could have easliy been a 375.00 part. Customer pay labor time should have been about 4.5hrs + a possible 1.0 diag fee, most shops are running 90-100pr/hr so say 550.00 in labor that is 875.00 right there...so yea, sounds about right. Be glad its not a Cummins 6.7L, the valve alone is like 800.00

archerm3
February 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, Those things are buried and a pain to get to. Im a Chrysler Master tech for a dealer in Wichita, and I hate those little Italian diesels in those things. major pain to work on, everything is crammed in there tight as Im sure you can see. Gimme a Cummins anyday!
List price through Mopar on the valve is 290.00 depending how much the dealer marked it up through their pricing matrix it could have easliy been a 375.00 part. Customer pay labor time should have been about 4.5hrs + a possible 1.0 diag fee, most shops are running 90-100pr/hr so say 550.00 in labor that is 875.00 right there...so yea, sounds about right. Be glad its not a Cummins 6.7L, the valve alone is like 800.00

That sounds a little contradictory to me...why would anyone want an engine that's twice as expensive to fix even when stuff isn't crammed in?

Hoosierflogger
February 24th, 2009, 08:14 AM
That sounds a little contradictory to me...why would anyone want an engine that's twice as expensive to fix even when stuff isn't crammed in?

I believe he is saying that as a mechanic he would rather work on the Cummins.

Slim37KS
February 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I believe he is saying that as a mechanic he would rather work on the Cummins.

Work, Own, anything.
The Cummins rarely breaks if they are taken care of, but when they do break out of warranty they get expensive quick, just like any other diesel, parts are expensive for them.

MoNofletch
February 28th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Here is how my bill broke down..................

$100 deductable
$129 front diff drain/refill
$129 rear diff drain/refill
$77 fuel filter change

The warranty was for the EGR replacement and something in the turbo as well....

Slim37KS
March 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
Here is how my bill broke down..................

$100 deductable
$129 front diff drain/refill
$129 rear diff drain/refill
$77 fuel filter change

The warranty was for the EGR replacement and something in the turbo as well....

If all they did was a drain and fill on the diff's thats a little high, our drain and fill (we suck it out with a machine then pump in the new gear oil) is like 78.00 + tax, if we pull the cover its 130.00+tax to pull the cover inspect components and check wear pattern then glue the cover back on and refill.

All in all sounds like they did you right. :thumbs_up

RedRokker
March 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Let me add that in at least ONE major blue oval manufacturer, even the extended warranty doesn't cover EGR valves, unless you buy the "golden parachute" one to the tune of almost $5000 and that still only covers out to 100,000 miles.

I learned that the hardway. That's why I drive a GMC now.

archerm3
March 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Let me add that in at least ONE major blue oval manufacturer, even the extended warranty doesn't cover EGR valves, unless you buy the "golden parachute" one to the tune of almost $5000 and that still only covers out to 100,000 miles.

I learned that the hardway. That's why I drive a GMC now.

I thought a golden parachute was a severance package given to a business executive as part of a contract.....

jpott62
March 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM
All I work on is diesel trucks, well correction anything diesel. I hate anything that comes from dodge to work on. Huge pain in the butt. But I did spend 6 years working at an International dealer before I came to the place I'm at now. So I am a little biased towards the International engines. Nothing easier to work on the a 7.3L Powerstroke. Duramax's suck to work on. 6.0L powerstrokes suck to work on. 6.5L Chevy's suck to work on. And all Cummins engines suck.

Slim37KS
March 26th, 2009, 10:44 PM
:pukey: Powerjoke :pukey:

Sorry had to do that, all I work on is 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins in Ram Trucks.......nothing but gravey!

Hate the VM in the Liberty (sorry Mo), the Benz diesel in the Grand Cherokees will be a pain to work on......but they have to break first.