PDA

View Full Version : New to Bow Hunting

lurch175
February 25th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Hey Everyone

I am wanting to say hello and see what kind of advice I can get about bow hunting ... mostly here in the great state of washington...

where are there some great place's ???
so on so forth ....

all the help I can get would be great ...

Thanks for your time

buglebuster
February 25th, 2009, 09:10 PM
:)WElcome to archery here in washington, what side are you on?

lurch175
February 26th, 2009, 06:04 AM
:)WElcome to archery here in washington, what side are you on?

I live near Seattle ... in Bothell as of this time
What side do you live on ???

buglebuster
February 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM
I'm also on the west side, south of longview/kelso. It depends on what kind of animals you want to hunt, if you are going to hunt here on the west side obviously your going after blacktails and roosevelts. When you are hunting you are generally either stand hunting(which doesnt need to be in a tree) or you are pretending to be the animal that you are hunting( Like to blow a bugle or a grunt is a challenge to them, or cow call or bleat ect. lures in the animals most only during the rut. Also try breaking sticks and sounding nothing but natural, scents can work.) When your not in the rut or even if the animals arent talking to one another even if it is in the rut, dont call. Most importantly be carefull about scent, even if you take the most careful precautions you can get busted so always check the wind. Always practice your bow aswell, people well tell you this all the time, but when you have a big animal 20 yards away, its hard to PICK A SPOT AND HIT NOTHING BUT THAT SPOT, that way if you miss, you then miss small, its not like a rifle. There is so much more to tell you than I can think of, read a few books, rent PRIMOS movies, you wont be the best hunter right away, you'll pick up small things. As for places to go, I dont know about up where you live but by mount ranier and packwood there is lots of country with tremendous animals. I hope I helped you out a little bit.

lurch175
February 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all the help so far
What about tracking ?? what am I going to need to know there ... yes I am a noob when it comes to this ... I was in the military for a good amount of time and have a really good idea of what is going on there ...
Rainer sounds like a great place ...

I will ask more later on ...
thanks again

buglebuster
February 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
First off, I would like to thank you so much for serving our country and all you did over there, it means alot to me and our country, thank you!:)

As for tracking, I think you mean looking at the sign on the ground and locating animals from there. What I do, is first of all scout out an area prior to the season to get an idea of how it well go down in the season. But scouting or hunting, I take a drainage or large area I am going to hunt and break it into small sections and thoroughly hunt all those pieces untill you find a piece with lots of fresh sign or where you see animals, then you know that your in a hot-spot, so be carefull of getting busted in those areas, if calling isnt an option then sit in a place where there is a lot of animal traffic(highly used fresh trails) in certain parts of the day and just sit and wait kind of concealed with a tree to your back (since you were in the miliary, you well know what I mean when I say hunt like you dont want to get shot, do the sort of things such as dont skyline yourself, ect.) Always be glassing too. I forgot to mention that when you have an animal walking in front of you(also I forgot to mention that you well only wound an animal if you shoot them somewhere other than in the lungs broadside) you need to stop them by blowing a mew out of a mouth call. Also Wallows are hot spots, but like I said just watch different movies and read books to get a better idea. Your going to get addicted to the sport, also its easier to hunt with people.

Thanks,
Kody

P.S. Ask all the questions you need!:wink:

88dannyg
March 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I live in Bellevue and just got back into bow hunting. Drope me a line if you want to go to Kenmore for the walking course. 88dannyg

rsarns
March 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
WElcome to AT lots of good info and help here, another great place for info on hunting in our great state can be found here. http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php

Double S
March 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Greetings lurch175.