PDA

View Full Version : Butcher/Processor in Utah? - Davis or Salt Lake County

Jason22
March 2nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm looking for a butcher/processor in Davis or Salt Lake counties that could take a whole deer that hasn't been cleaned and turn it into jerky and maybe a few steaks.

I don't hunt, but deer are regularly hit in front of my house because they follow a stream down from the mountain and cross the street. I'm tired of watching them sit and rot, then get hauled away to be disposed of. I'm hoping there is a place I could throw one in my trunk and take to have processed. Yes, I know it's roadkill, but if I know the animal was healthy and died from a car, then I don't have an issue with it.

What does it cost to have a deer processed and how soon would it need to be done so it won't spoil?

Thanks!

havok
March 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
you will be hard pressed to find a butcher/processor that will take a deer that is not tagged. They get checked by the DWR regularly and if they have untagged animals they can get stiff fines etc.
Havok

raykingleaves
March 25th, 2009, 04:31 PM
DWR regulates the roadkill, I know it's hard to see, but it's true, you can't pick up game that's been hit, it has to be reported and disposed of properly by the right authorities

Jason22
March 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I can appreciate that, if they didn't then the hunt would be year round for poachers claiming it was roadkill. I just hate to see it go to waste.