PDA

View Full Version : Any gobbling in Kansas?

Timber Hawk
March 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I am just wondering what the birds are doing in Kansas!

Timber Hawk
March 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I guess no gobbling in Kansas yet?:noidea:

GuinnessGood
March 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Went scouting last night up by the KS/OK line, heard one gobble, only answered to the owls.

rcates
March 26th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I'll be doing a lot of scouting this weekend if the weather cooperates. Chances of snow storms tomorrow :sad:

Timber Hawk
March 27th, 2009, 10:55 AM
any more reports from Kansas?

NEWYORKHILLBILLY
March 27th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I be out there in 3 weeks

lrbergin
March 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I'm interested too. Haven't had much time to scout and the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate this weekend. Seem some good gobblers in the area on the trail cam but haven't heard much.

Timber Hawk
March 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM
ttt

RxBowhunter
March 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I heard one gobble from the back steps almost two weeks ago. Haven't been to the hunting property yet to scout but I'm going down on Sunday.

BCFrye_Kansas
March 27th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Saw strutting last weekend........ sleeting today, supposed to get up to a foot of snow.....

deerhunter11
March 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM
ive been seeing lots of strutting and wend. had 4 gobbling to a slate call while i was setting a ground blid but today sleet and suppose to get 6-16 inches of snow.

ks_kiwi
March 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I've been seeing them puffed up too.
Looking forward to next week...

Timber Hawk
April 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
anymore updates for Kansas. I went up last weekend in 5 in. of snow and saw one group with 4 toms in 4 hrs. of driving the roads.

Kansas Bruisers
April 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
I got two gobbling this morning before I came to work. I have seen strutters over the last few weeks and alot of the hens are still in big groups.

KSrjj
April 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
In the archery shop today and two guys bagged one bird apice this morning. They were in a blind setup and had two toms come into their decoy and another hen that flew from roost to their set up. The two birds strutted and gobbled for quite some time before they couldn't stand it any more and ran across the field to show the hens who was boss for the last time.

stevesbuck
April 1st, 2009, 05:42 PM
Got the ground blind set up today, seen a group in a field and two of them were strutting. Can't wait until saturday, I hope the weather will be good.

lrbergin
April 1st, 2009, 08:44 PM
Got the ground blind set up today, seen a group in a field and two of them were strutting. Can't wait until saturday, I hope the weather will be good.

You and me both. Last check they were calling for 70 degrees and sunny. Should be a nice way to start the season.

kstatemallards
April 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM
The temp on saturday will be nice but it's going to be real windy. I went out today and they were gobbling like crazy on the roost and then they shut down once they hit the ground. In the afternoon they didnt make a peep. They were strutting but not making a word. Too many hens around.

KSNimrod
April 1st, 2009, 11:10 PM
Have seen a few strutting from the road but haven't been out yet. Once the weather turns I'll likely chase them around a bit.

deerhunter11
April 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM
slamed one with my new reezen today at 7.10 in the morning on public ground,there was 11 diffrent toms in the field at one time,one of them came over and beat b-moble stupid before i hammerd him,11inch beard inch and a quarter spurs,24 pounds.going to my lease tomarrow to try to fill my other tag. there hammering away till around 9 am and then not a peep.

KSU Turkey Nut
April 2nd, 2009, 12:01 AM
This one was gobbling before he tried to swallow a Bullhead this morning.
They were gobbling pretty well today. He had a 10" beard and 1" spurs - two year old bird. This was on public ground. One down and one more to go.

Beamen123
April 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Awesome bird. congratulations.

deerhunter11
April 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
pics

glasgowm
April 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Lots of gobbling yesterday but not a whole lot of response to the calls. Still in really big groups. Had 58 birds in front of the blind last night, including 10 toms and a bunch of jakes. Pulled the boss hen into 5 yards as she and I talked back to each other for a half hour but the toms kept strutting and gobbling at 75 yards.

I did take a jake, which was my first archery turkey ever. Now for my first archery long beard.

Matthew

Timber Hawk
April 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Sounds like the birds are gobbling and not hened up to bad.

stevesbuck
April 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Had turkeys alot of turkeys responding to calls today. Not even 15 min. in the blind today and had a big tom about 60 yards coming in hard but would not come in any closer, should've I stop calling when he was that close.

gobblercrazy
April 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM
They were gobbling for me yesterday. Gave them a call and they gobbled so fast and close I had to set up shop real quick on the fence line about 100 yards from where i wanted to be. Didn't get one but was still a fun hunt.

three11
April 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
They are gobbling pretty good in central KS. Some are still in big groups but most are split up now. After the big snow we had last week melted, they started going nuts. Not henned up bad yet...should be easy to work some birds.

Fullstrutter
April 6th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm leaving for Marion Kansas tomorrow!! Can't wait! Dad and I are flying into Wichita and then we drive about 2 hours north and are staying at a friends farm house right near Pilsen.

I'm liking the sound of the big groups starting to break up! The warm weather this week sure looks real nice and will probably facilitate even more splitting up.

Any more visual updates yesterday or today?

bones1768
April 6th, 2009, 09:42 AM
They were gobbling like crazy around here this weekend. We had three kids from here in town that shot their first toms. One was 26 lbs. 11" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. My daughter shot a 24 lb. 9 3/4" bird that had 1" and 3/4" spurs. The other turkey was 22 lb. 8 1/2" beard and 3/4" spurs.

Not bad for a 7 year old, 8 year old and a 10 year old.

GoDoe
April 6th, 2009, 04:45 PM
My buddy was in Nashville Ks this weekend, without me I might add, and he said it was cold an his birds were still all grouped up. Like 40 of them running together. No luck for him, oh that is too bad................At least he had them scoutted out for us to both go back in a few weeks.

RxBowhunter
April 6th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I saw a nice group of about 5 or 6 longbeards with about 20 hens in town on Friday. The toms were all in full strut. Five minutes from work at 3pm! :thumb:

Timber Hawk
April 13th, 2009, 04:39 PM
anymore Kansas turkey reports?

Kansas Bruisers
April 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I haven't seen or heard much in the last week. They will gobble on the roost but go quiet once they hit the ground. I haven't seen a jake or tom since Wednesday, just hens.

Timber Hawk
April 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I think this weather knocked their breeding cycle back a few weeks.

Deer Farmer
April 13th, 2009, 05:08 PM
We went up the first weekend in April and the birds were starting to split up a little. We actually called a few long beards out of the flocks and a few just showed up alone. This was around the Topeka area

Timber Hawk
April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM
great job Farmer!!!

Pain
April 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Friday morning it was too windy to hear much, but we heard one gobbler on the roost before first light. Saturday we sat up right underneath them and listened to them gobble until well after legal light, then the hens took them away from us. Sunday morning we had 3 longbeards come into calls struttin', spit'n and drum'n. One of 'em didn't leave! ;^)

MOBIGBUCKS
April 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Just gobbles on the roost in the Atchison county area. They hit the ground with their 14-17 hens and dont gobble the rest of the day. Pretty hardd pulling these guys away...That is hunting and thats why I love BOWHUNTING!

floater
April 13th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hunting just north of Atchison county on Saturday and watched 3 or 4 big toms jumping up in the air and chest bumping like ball players. It was really loud hits with feathers flying then chasing each other around. Then the chest bumping would start over. Dominence thing I guess.

ksbowhunter1
April 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
gobbling their heads off: )

xcount
April 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
They were hammering in the North Central part of the state!

Good luck wherever you go!!

Here you go!

BTW- I know the pic says the 3rd but we hunted until the 7th and they were on fire!!

xcount
April 13th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Can't post 'em twice huh! ;)

KSU Turkey Nut
April 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
The flocks have broken up a little more in the last week. The Gobbling is going strong, and I have seen some gobblers without hens. Should be getting real good.

kcarcherguy
April 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM
They were gobbling like crazy in Miami County on Saturday. I watched and listened to a nice gobbler put on a show for well over an hour on some private land, but he wouldn't come into range. They're pretty quiet on public land after they fly down though.

fulldraw88
April 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Jackson County has tons of em gobbling.

Kansas Bruisers
April 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I hunted Friday and Saturday with no luck. I can't remember the last time I went this long without having at least a jake come in. I have seen mature tom's walking through fields alone and they won't gobble, strut, or pay any attention to decoys. Driving down the road I see them strutting but they are turning a cold shoulder to us in the field. The only gobbles we have heard are on the roost, after fly down they clam up. I hope things change sometime soon.

Timber Hawk
April 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I here ya KB. I went to Kansas yesterday and hunted in a blind for 5 1/2 hrs. and didn't even see a turkey. It rained on us until 11:00. I have had bad luck this year so far. I heard through a biologist that Kansas had a virus hit the turkey population last year and caused a lot of deaths. I haven't heard a gobble in my last seven hunts.

BCFrye_Kansas
April 20th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I here ya KB. I went to Kansas yesterday and hunted in a blind for 5 1/2 hrs. and didn't even see a turkey. It rained on us until 11:00. I have had bad luck this year so far. I heard through a biologist that Kansas had a virus hit the turkey population last year and caused a lot of deaths. I haven't heard a gobble in my last seven hunts.

That's interesting. Still seeing quite a few birds though. Sorry to hear you had a tough hunt, the weather on the weekends has been pretty tough in some areas this year. Looking like a great week though!

KSU Turkey Nut
April 21st, 2009, 12:06 AM
I saw more Toms out today with the better weather. It is going to be in the 80s later this week. That should crank them up:thumbs_up

Timber Hawk
April 21st, 2009, 12:35 AM
I hope.

KSU Turkey Nut
April 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
I went out after work today. It was one of the most active gobbling afternoon hunts I have ever had. Got in the blind at 5:15 pm, and heard a gobble at 5:30. Then I had multiple birds gobbling about every 2 minutes, even when I wasn't calling. I had 3 birds fly accross a creek to my calling. These birds took 1.5 hours to finally close the distance. They came right up behind the blind, but spooked when my cell phone rang. Can't believe I forgot to turn it off. Well I didn't want my season to end today anyway, (that sounds like :bs: )

But the warm weather really got them going today around Manhattan.

Timber Hawk
April 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm headed up to the topeka area this weekend, I hope their still gobbling well.

Pickert
April 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
They are still gobbling well but our numbers really seem to be down this year. And a lot of people I have talked to are saying the same thing.
This has probably been one of my worst seasons in a long time. Hopefully things get better.

Kansas Bruisers
April 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I have seen alot driving around but my usual honey holes have been slow, I'm just glad we have a long season.

Pain
April 27th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hens are starting to nest and the gobblers are getting lonely mid-day. Don't give up at 9am and leave. Find a known strut zone and wait 'em out.

kingvjack
April 27th, 2009, 01:38 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o235/kingvjack/turk.jpg

Here is the forth bird our group has taken...

CounterPoint
April 27th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hens are starting to nest and the gobblers are getting lonely mid-day. Don't give up at 9am and leave. Find a known strut zone and wait 'em out.

I was out in the afternoons this weekend and saw several toms and jakes moving between strut zones and water holes. Calling was successful but they birds were not answering back, they were coming in silent.

CP

Timber Hawk
April 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
last weekend in the high wind we saw 26 hens. 19 of them were by themselves. We didn't see one tom or jake and we hunt and drove the dirt roads all day. Can anyone explain how you can see that many single hens in a day and not one tom or jake?

Kansas Bruisers
April 29th, 2009, 09:52 AM
last weekend in the high wind we saw 26 hens. 19 of them were by themselves. We didn't see one tom or jake and we hunt and drove the dirt roads all day. Can anyone explain how you can see that many single hens in a day and not one tom or jake?

That's what we have been seeing, hunting all day with no jakes or toms showing up with the hens. We hear gobbles on the roost (sometimes) but nothing after that. Slowest turkey season I have ever had.

Timber Hawk
April 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
That's what we have been seeing, hunting all day with no jakes or toms showing up with the hens. We hear gobbles on the roost (sometimes) but nothing after that. Slowest turkey season I have ever had.

You and me both, can you expain the lack of seeing toms or jakes and seeing all the hens?

Wattensabohuntr
April 29th, 2009, 12:40 PM
I dont know about the less birds theroy because this was my first trip to kansas but 2 weeks ago we see 400 to 500 birds in 2 1/2 days and we smoked them. We all tagged out in 2 days.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=907320

Kansas Bruisers
April 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM
You and me both, can you expain the lack of seeing toms or jakes and seeing all the hens?

I wish I could. I have four different pieces of private property I have been hunting for years and the biggest problem has always been which bird do I want to harvest. I don't get it.

Timber Hawk
April 30th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The weather has been terrible for Kansas this year.

jcferrit
April 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I was told that the state has been doing blood test on the turkey population to see why the numbers are falling. I don't know if this pertains just the SE part of the state or not??? I thought it may have had to due with high rainfall the previous two springs that was hurting the survival rates of chicks?

I can tell you though that in my own opinion the numbers are down, but this is just my personal observation. Although several hunters around this area have told me the same thing. I know that a few years ago any creek bottom that I went too I could hear well over a dozen gobbles, and now there is only two or three birds there and in some places none at all. Also there seems to be very few jakes, every bird seems to be atleast a 3 year old bird that you see when glassing or hunting. I hunt about 3000+ acres that is family owned, so hunting pressure hasn't increased and the farming practices have remained the same.

Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of birds, and it is that not hard to tag out-just fewer birds.

Kansas Bruisers
April 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I was told that the state has been doing blood test on the turkey population to see why the numbers are falling. I don't know if this pertains just the SE part of the state or not??? I thought it may have had to due with high rainfall the previous two springs that was hurting the survival rates of chicks?

I can tell you though that in my own opinion the numbers are down, but this is just my personal observation. Although several hunters around this area have told me the same thing. I know that a few years ago any creek bottom that I went too I could hear well over a dozen gobbles, and now there is only two or three birds there and in some places none at all. Also there seems to be very few jakes, every bird seems to be atleast a 3 year old bird that you see when glassing or hunting. I hunt about 3000+ acres that is family owned, so hunting pressure hasn't increased and the farming practices have remained the same.

Don't get me wrong there is still plenty of birds, and it is that not hard to tag out-just fewer birds.

The NE parts of the state I hunt aren't any better. I have seen 3 jakes this year and they were walking across the road. I see birds strutting when I'm driving around but not as many as years past. The properties I hunt have very few birds on them unlike years past. I don't know if it's the weather, low numbers, or they have decided to use a different area. It will be raining through the weekend but I'll be out there until I fill my tags.

hntnksn
April 30th, 2009, 01:39 PM
well in cent. ks. our numbers are staying up...........:confused:

i've seen 30+ jakes this year.

countless longbeards. and hens

i'm seeing birds in places they weren't in years past.

we've harvested 16 longbeards this year. 15 last year.

and myself or my wife have yet to hunt.

Kansas Bruisers
April 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
well in cent. ks. our numbers are staying up...........:confused:

i've seen 30+ jakes this year.

countless longbeards. and hens

i'm seeing birds in places they weren't in years past.

we've harvested 16 longbeards this year. 15 last year.

and myself or my wife have yet to hunt.

I think the birds over here moved out west, i guess they figured it's more popular to be a rio than an eastern. Send them back this way would ya, I miss em.