PDA

View Full Version : Truck camping

bowhuntr
April 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
who camps out of a truck camper or truck cap? whats ur set up? any pics?
what all do you take with you. i am building my set up with a platform so i sleep on top nd the gear is stored below. any tips?

bowjoe1800
April 16th, 2009, 01:13 AM
I hunt by myself 95% of the time and during the season I will make several 2-4 day hunting trips to 4 "archery only" public areas within a 2 hour drive from my home. Especially during gun season.
I usually stay in my truck with a simple fiberglass camper top. Besides my gear, I take cooler and drinks, various snacks and sandwich stuff for dinner, maybe some fruit or cereal for breakfast. Also a small propane bottle with a screw on burner to heat up some soup or stew to have a hot meal for supper.
My most important thing though is my 4" foam mattress and a great sleeping bag. I can sleep in the back of that truck, out in the middle of no where, with nothing but the noise of the frogs, coyotes, and the ocassional hoot owl, better than any other place I know of. Try it some time out in the far backroads of "The Land Between the Lakes", you'll know what I mean.
You don't need a big elaborate set up to camp-hunt out of. Roughing it just a little makes it more enjoyable. Heck just this last fall on 24 degree night I burnt a big candle all night in the camper to help cut the chill and moisture that builds up on a cold night.
Good Hunting

The RV Doctor
April 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I use a truck tent, Love it. Use a candle as well to heat it, have the awning with post set out behind it with my fold out chair and enjoy the night air cooking on the Cobb Grill.

Dodgedude
April 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
I make my platform so it is demountable, in case I need to load up a deer. I use the platform pockets built into my bed. It gives me enough room to sit up in with the topper I have. It's also nice to have a couple of windows that you can crack open to keep condensation down. Nothing as fun as waking up wet...

The platform itself is 3 2x4's across the bed, 1/2" plywood will hold you up if you are careful, and/or stay above your braces. I cut mine down the middle (see carcass hauling requirement above) and cut to fit into the nooks and crannies, so I wouldn't have to go on a quest for (fill in blank small item).

For sleeping, you can't beat a Therma-Rest pad, and I use a Sierra Designs modified mummy bag. I can sleep birthday suit comfy to about 20 deg. On that note, I keep my DDW wipes in the bag with me, but hunting clothes out. Ordinarily I keep clothes in bag to keep the warm.

My future plans are to add a 12v switched light in back, and to rescreen my windows. I have enough room under my bed for a stand, ladder sections and bow in case. Clothes, food, etc goes on top with me.

bowhuntr
April 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
i would like to wire up a ac power strip into the back, any plans?

Dodgedude
April 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Now your into power inverter land. Here's a fun challenge, find a good truck stop. Now go find whatever you were going to plug into that power strip. They have got it. Crock pots, coffee pots, TV's etc.

While I may have a 12v coffee pot/cup, I also have an MSR stove that works great. The 12v light is for quick clothes changing, or the like.

If your considering going RV style in the back of your truck, your going to want to study up on batteries and isolators, and associated wiring and circuitry.

For me, and I'm solo-ing in my truck, it's dark and it's hunting season, I'm either sleeping or walking. I get my hot meal in town at the end of the day.

What all do you have in mind? Forgive if I sound like a wisehat, I usually try to keep it simple.

bowhuntr
July 21st, 2009, 07:44 PM
do u think i could splice a power strip to a 4 pin adapter that would plug into where the trailer wiring goes?

410gage
September 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I have tried every style of camper made, including motor homes. All have their advantages - and disadvantages. But for solo bowhunting, a truck slide in camper is hard to top. This one was bought used for a cheap $800 and has everything I need for comfort.
I do recommend having a garage or barn to store it in when not on the truck, as they do look kinda trashy up on the jacks in your driveway. But that is just my opinion, of course!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=63 5195&stc=1&d=1252494768

glockman55
September 9th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I Hunt out a slide in pop up truck camper, It lets me haul a utility trailer with my Mule and other supplies.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Deer_Camp_2008_050_Small_.jpg

410gage did you make your steps? I need to do the same.

410gage
October 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Michigan Glockman, I did not make those steps. They were once used for a mobile home and I found them on the burn pile at a nearby farm. But they would be fairly easy to constuct. I do not haul them around, but leave them at the farm where I do most of my archery hunting. 410gage

Boone
October 8th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Sleep in the back of the truck on a cot and put up this canopy, or bring the pop up !

cashcropper
October 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Anyone know about how much the old"1970" cabovers weigh? I just bought one and was thinking of putting it an a single axle trailer and wondered if that would work

RatherBArchery
October 21st, 2009, 10:13 AM
I am going to be using my trailer to haul my new/used truck slide in camper. I will try and attch pictures. Got this for $200.00 and with a little TLC it will serve as home on our NY lease.

cashcropper
October 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I went ahead and mounted it on my dual axle lowboy with the center over the axles and will use the space under the cabover as stg.

mullig
November 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Here's mine. I have a rack so I made this so it would be collapsible and portable. Everything stores under the bed. (ice chest,climber,duffle and water jug) It has extra storage above the cab.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/serenitywoodwork/Picture006.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn56/serenitywoodwork/Picture010.jpg

Techy
November 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM
pretty cool setup