PDA

View Full Version : Apple Trees

WIhoytarcher1
April 17th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Hey guys I'm thinkin of planting a few apple trees around our property and I have absolutely no clue where to start and was wondering if anyone had any information on how, when, where etc. to plant trees in the midwest? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

illbowhunter
April 17th, 2009, 04:34 PM
We planted a couple the other day.

You need to put a good fence around them or they won't last anytime. They also need some support because their root system is weak sometimes.

dhayse32
April 17th, 2009, 04:36 PM
TTT

I'm in the same boat. I am wanting to plan 6-12 apple trees....

outdooraholic
April 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i dont know if this is "legal" (per AT rules) or not, but i got most of my info from here:

http://forums.qdma.com/

just do a search for "apple" in the habitat management section.

hope this helps.

(p.s. ill be planting 2 pear trees tommorrow, and im super pumped :D)

OzarkHunter32
April 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Check out this forum http://forums.qdma.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16
Everything you need to know about planting Apple trees.

outdooraholic
April 17th, 2009, 04:49 PM
yeah - what he said :up:

JamMorg
April 17th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I bought some Jonathan Apple trees and Yellow Delicous from of all places Big Lots last year. Dug a good sized hole and put some quality soil in it, staked the trees, and put a bit of fencing around them to keep the deer off of them. They've done great and I'm really surprised at how well they are growing. I used 1 fertilizer spike per tree this fall to give them some nutrients as well.

Chupacabra
April 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
You should have a lot of choices on varieties in the GB area. Even more if you were further up the penninsula. Any decent local nursery should be able to tell you what works in your area. Your local extension office should be able to give you lots of ideas. If it's for wildlife attraction, plant a variety to stretch out the season - e.g. cortland - sept ripening, haralson - oct ripening, etc. As far as site, two major things to avoid - shade and wet feet. Make sure they get full sun and plant them on high ground in well-drained soil. And, as mentioned by someone else - you will need to fence them for quite a few years.

WIhoytarcher1
April 17th, 2009, 05:28 PM
how tall of fencing did you put around the tree and how big of an area do you fence of for one tree? A foot or 2 from the tree or 5 or 6 ft?

JamMorg
April 17th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think the fencing I put around them was 48". Just put it in a circle large enough to protect the tree- depending on the branches. I would guess mine to be about +/-36" in diameter and I used a steel fence post to secure. Zip ties work well for attaching everything together.

WIhoytarcher1
April 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thanks alot I appreciate the help! If anyone has any other info I could use it! Thanks!

TTS in PA
April 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM
I've never forgotten the advice I was given by a friend with a 'green thumb'.

"Ten dollar tree, fifty dollar hole". Of course meaning the prep work by making sure the soil and nutrients present when first planted will determine how well the tree grows.