PDA

View Full Version : need custody advice, please help...

georgiabuckdan
April 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hey all, Yesterday dcf told me to take my daughter home and told me to get her into school, well I dont have any custody papers yet. And we live in a different county.Any advice?

mathews/fish
April 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
As I have been in your shoes...a decade ago.

Daniel,
This is your child. Do what is best for her. If you can get some sort of document from DCF stating what they want you to do...then take this document to have it entered into a court document.

Protect your daughter from any and all of the drama entailed throughout this situation. Make a safe and secure enviroment for your daughter.
Depending on the age of your daughter...include her decision making skills in classes if possible.
Make her as comfortable as you can.

Also allow her to have a mature female confidant who she can share anything with. She has needs that you as a father may not be able to meet.

Just a few thoughts.
Marlin

Runnin Bare
April 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
DCF can get you papers jiffy fast.

If the other half has papers, and you dont she will use them against you.

I got custody when my daughter was 3. My Ex tried for 15 years to talk cops into giving her to her.

I carried my costody order in my wallet for 15 years.

georgiabuckdan
April 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM
As I have been in your shoes...a decade ago.

Daniel,
This is your child. Do what is best for her. If you can get some sort of document from DCF stating what they want you to do...then take this document to have it entered into a court document.

Protect your daughter from any and all of the drama entailed throughout this situation. Make a safe and secure enviroment for your daughter.
Depending on the age of your daughter...include her decision making skills in classes if possible.
Make her as comfortable as you can.

Also allow her to have a mature female confidant who she can share anything with. She has needs that you as a father may not be able to meet.

Just a few thoughts.
Marlin

Thanks Marlin,

She and her step mom are like sisters and she has a 9 year old sister with her now. She is 16 and were verry loving and open folks (tell it like it is). She willingly discusses everything with us weather it be bad or good. I guess my main concern is that I dont have legal custody papers yet even though dcf told me to take her and enroll her in school, her mom just withdrew her from her other high school... I just thought you had to have prove of legal guardianship..

georgiabuckdan
April 24th, 2009, 12:53 PM
DCF can get you papers jiffy fast.

If the other half has papers, and you dont she will use them against you.

I got custody when my daughter was 3. My Ex tried for 15 years to talk cops into giving her to her.

I carried my costody order in my wallet for 15 years.

trust me! After what went down my daughter being with me is in there best interest! her mom is helping me @ this point. Thats not to say she aint going to retaliate! I got my guard up and all is going well.. I just need to get her in school.