Archery Talk Forum banner

Bow from branch

910 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kegan 
#1 ·
Well, this is my second attempt ad building a bow from a self-harvested material, the first was an all boo bow. Here's how the story went: My buddy and I went down to a local strip mall in the late of night, and cut a couple of boo stalks. On the way home we tried To pick up some chicks, it didn't go too well, the phrase "Hey baby, I've got the world's largest grass in the back of my truck" didn't work so well... just kidding. I digress.
After trimming the maple tree in my back yard I was cutting up the branches when I found this perfect eight-foot piece of sugar maple, so I stashed it in my basement. I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me the steps to take to begin drying the limb out, do I rough it out first, or do I dry the limb? Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 ·
I would take it down to rough dimensions....remove the bark....seal the back and ends....clamp it down to a board and let it dry.....the reason I say to clamp it down is...when I tried drying a small diameter piece of wood it twisted really bad.....they can be heated and straightened....but...clamping it down to something may reduce the amount of work you'll have to do...Steve

#3 ·
Both. Split it in half and remove the bark. Let one piece sit (clamping does help, as does sealing the ends- leaving it long and wide is easier) and rough the other out. I've nevr sealed the back on any of the white woods, and have never had any trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.