PDA

View Full Version : Citrus WMA

jjallison
May 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with citrus wma...I'm thinking about hunting there this year and was wondering if it was worth applying for the quota hunt...Any info would be great...Thanks

FredGarvin
May 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone is familiar with citrus wma...I'm thinking about hunting there this year and was wondering if it was worth applying for the quota hunt...Any info would be great...Thanks

"Worth" is subjective to each of us, we all have our individual perceptions of what is "good" or "better". To answer your question, yes, Citrus is a great hunt.

But then again, there is no bad hunting to me. :)

We would have to get a better understanding of what your criteria is for a hunt that is worth it. Looks like it's a 9 day quota archery hunt, which is a long quota, but they also give out 1000 of them (that could be good or bad to you but you'd have to consider it is 50000 acres for 1000 hunters).

Camping is a bit restrictive as you'd need to get a permit and pay a fee.

Is your question related to a quota being worth it because of the numbers of game? or the quality of game?

Here is what I do when thinking about hunting a new WMA: I go check it out! Any new area I hunt I am at a disadvantage to the regulars simply because they know the area much better. But in all honesty, you could probably get away with hunting 1-3 locations that sees good traffic and you'd probably have a good chance bagging something. Well worth the effort to pre-season scout, and Citrus is open year round.

Sorry I couldn't give a better detail, but I have never been there. Good luck!

jjallison
May 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I appreciate the info...Great blog, I noticed you started in corbett...I have some friends who are big buggy hunters from down that way...They wouldn't hunt any other way...

FredGarvin
May 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I appreciate the info...Great blog, I noticed you started in corbett...I have some friends who are big buggy hunters from down that way...They wouldn't hunt any other way...

Just started it, I really don't know what I am doing so I am just throwing a whatever up on the blog testing things out now in the off-season. Come archery, I'd like to do some filming and blog entries just to share with freinds and family and whoever else would be interested. It always seems during family gatherings, someone asks how the hunting is going --- so, I figure the blog/vids are a good way to share.

Yes on Corbett --- I am originally from Palm Beach Co.

I actually have only hunted there twice, many years ago. Now I pretty much stick to ThreeLakes in Central Zone and Myakka for hogs here in Port Charlotte.

Like I said, wish I had some more info for ya on Citrus. It's still about the same distance for me as it is for ThreeLakes, and I may decide to make a trip because it would extend my archery season until December (minus the first 9 days quota hunts). I have also been telling myself that I am going to make a trip back to Appilachacola area for a February Muzzy/Archery hunt too --- there's lots of opportunity available, but it's tough to fit those long trips into my schedule.

Wishbone
May 16th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Citrus is not bad , use to be better..But its still pretty good ,I hunted it 2 years ago , saw deer everyday but did not connect :)

cptleo1
May 18th, 2009, 02:27 AM
One of my favorite places to hunt.