Archery Talk Forum banner

Class III Hitch for Truck

427 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  yoda4x4 
#1 ·
I know this is not necessarily bowhunting related, but I'm looking at putting a class III hitch on my 2008 Toyota RAV4 and have seen a number of different makes/models. I'm sort of liking the ones made by Valley Industries as they have include a 4 pin wiring harness that is hidden in the tubing of the hitch making it look super clean; no dangling wires. Does anyone have any feedback on this hitch, or can make a recommendation on a hitch similar to this one? Appreciate your help.

David

#2 ·
hitch

David

Make sure the hitch you buy is going to bolt up right to your vehicle! Alot of hitches out there on the market will fit more than 1 vehicle and make sure it's got 2" tubing or bigger. Don't let yourself get talked into a hitch that's not strong enough to handle whatever you are towing. And remember the vehicle will only take so much!!!

#6 ·
David

Make sure the hitch you buy is going to bolt up right to your vehicle! Alot of hitches out there on the market will fit more than 1 vehicle and make sure it's got 2" tubing or bigger. Don't let yourself get talked into a hitch that's not strong enough to handle whatever you are towing. And remember the vehicle will only take so much!!!
The advice above is perfect. Get one that fits your vehicle (made specifically)-however, with your RAV4-isn;t a class 3 too big? Just wondering what your towing rating is and what do you plan on towing-the biggest thing is not how much you can tow-but how much you can tow and still STOP safely and in a reasonable distance.
Yep what they said.

I am in the automotive retail business and I believe Valley makes one of the very best.
Just make sure you get one big enough and it FITs your vehicle, don't buy a universal mount and you will be good to go.

#3 ·
The advice above is perfect. Get one that fits your vehicle (made specifically)-however, with your RAV4-isn;t a class 3 too big? Just wondering what your towing rating is and what do you plan on towing-the biggest thing is not how much you can tow-but how much you can tow and still STOP safely and in a reasonable distance.

#4 ·
Remember just because you have the horse power and gearing to pull a load does not mean you have the brakes to stop it. I was on seen of an accident where a guy killed several people couse he could not stop his trailer. A guy lost his wife and kids that day.

#5 ·
The Valley's are good, but do yourself a favor and get it on Ebay. Uhaul, or whatever dealership you would bring it to will charge you twice the price of the hitch just to put it on. And honestly it'll only be like 4 bolts, and an extra set of hands maybe. Thats what I have done with all my trucks.

#7 ·
I believe a Rav4 only qualifies for a class 2 hitch (3500 lb), not a class 3. It also matters what engine/tranny combo the Rav4 has. I don't think the I4 motor has a tow rating, and some of the earlier Rav4's only were rated to tow 2000 lbs with the V6.

You may want to check on Toyota's ratings of your vehicle before you spend money on it.

My Ford Escape has a 3500 lb tow rating with the tow package and V6, but still only has a factory Class 2 hitch.

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice. As far as towing, I'm only planning on towing a 14 ft boat (with a gas motor and trolling motor). I'm pretty sure this won't exceed the 2000 lb tow capacity of this SUV. I'd rather go with a class III hitch since parts are the most easily accessible from what I can see. Does that make sense? I definitely agree that I'll be doing the installation of this; I've done one before and it's a piece of cake.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.