Archery Talk Forum banner

85 or 100gr??? Explain to me!!

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  OneScrewLoose 
#1 ·
Ok guys, building on my small base of archery knowledge, I have a questions. I have read in numerous places that my FOC% needs to be between 7% and 10%. Right now I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima 350 at 28 3/4" from throat of nock to end of shaft. I am set on using Magnus Stingers, but my delema is which weight to choose. With 100gr Stingers, my FOC% is 11.3%. With 85gr Stingers, my FOC% is 9.1%. I am just not sure which one to choose. A little advice and an explanation would be great!! Thanks!!
Jeff

#7 ·
2009 Bowtech SWAT
70# draw weight
29" draw length
28 3/4" from throat of nock to the end of the shaft
Blazer vanes, aproximately 6 degree offset
Carbon Express Maxima 350
100gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade

What is that OT2 program you mentioned?? I've not ever seen anything like that??

#5 ·
I think what were are talking about here is general trends. For a variety of reasons, it is possible that your bow will shoot better with the 85 grain heads. But more often than not, if the spine is right, the heavier broadhead with the higher FOC is going shoot better at long range. Invest in three of each and find out. Put the ones you don't need in the classifieds later.

#6 ·
Ok guys, building on my small base of archery knowledge, I have a questions. I have read in numerous places that my FOC% needs to be between 7% and 10%. Right now I am shooting Carbon Express Maxima 350 at 28 3/4" from throat of nock to end of shaft. I am set on using Magnus Stingers, but my delema is which weight to choose. With 100gr Stingers, my FOC% is 11.3%. With 85gr Stingers, my FOC% is 9.1%. I am just not sure which one to choose. A little advice and an explanation would be great!! Thanks!!
Jeff
For hunting the more the merrier. I am shooting 18.5% with no problem. Will try about 25% soon just to see how it flies. A higher foc will significantly increase how forgiving your arrows are. This can be seen better with fixed blade broadheads than practice points.

Depending on how much arrow length you have to play with that you can remove point weight will change the tune of the bow, so selecting a point as this point won't be for foc, but for spine match, unless there is some arrow length to play with. First thing you should do is fine out at what point weight your arrows correctly tune at. Then use that weight for hunting.

#8 ·
Depending on how much arrow length you have to play with that you can remove point weight will change the tune of the bow, so selecting a point as this point won't be for foc, but for spine match, unless there is some arrow length to play with. First thing you should do is fine out at what point weight your arrows correctly tune at. Then use that weight for hunting.
See, this is where I don't have enough experience to be able to tell. When I got my bow, I bare shaft tuned it to 10 yards, but I haven't broadhead tuned it yet. I have a few 85gr field points, and they seem to fly just fine, but I don't have any 85 grain heads to try. What do I look for to see if the tune has changed???

#10 ·
With a good shooting bow properly set up, the difference between 85 grains and 100 grains won't amount to a hill of beans.

#17 ·
All these charts and graphs are great, and they will save you a lot "reinventing the wheel"; but in the end it often comes down to the fact the certain arrow and arrow component combinations just fly better than others out of of certain bows - being shot by certain archers. Don't you love this sport?

#20 ·
Indeed I do. I just haven't been shooting enough to figure out what shoots well for me, as far as weights of everything. I shoot these Maxima's better than any arrow I've had yet, and these Stinger's shoot better than any broadhead I've tried aside from Rocket Steelheads. But I'm learning! Thanks!!:darkbeer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.