Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowfishing

2K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  n2hunting 
#1 ·
My brother and I decided to go bowfishing today. He had gone out yesterday and got one, and we went out today and i shot at five and came back with these two. what a great way to end the day.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Same... I feel bad about this but when I shoot carp i just let it rot. or used it as a composter. one time we used it to get magets, that was not fun.

I know some ppl eat it, but how?

btw I been shooting suckers in the creek... same issue, I might stoop shooting them since I have no idea what to do with them.

#7 ·
maybe search around for turtle trappers. I know of a couple gusy in my area that use them as turtle trap bait. I also know some **** trappers that use them in pocket sets

#8 ·
Nice job! i actually went out bowfishing today for the first time ever and got 2. It was a absolute blast. i used one of my buddies bows since i dont have one set up for bowfishing. His was given to him and i was just wondering how much would it cost for me to get a set up for bowfishing.Nothing fancy just plain and simple.

#11 ·
mnbowhunter23, that's the beauty of bowfishing, you don't need anything fancy. Just look for a relatively long ATA bow (comfy for finger shooting) at a pawn shop, Craigslist, etc. Look for an AMS bowfishing reel, get a couple of arrows and have at it! My younger brother doesn't have a boat, so he puts on some waders and stalks carp in the shallows of lakes when they are spawning. You can also rig up a spotlight on your boat or bow and have a blast at night!

#12 ·
Don't feel bad...If your parents have a garden, use it as fertilizer. Carp are an invasive species up here in MN especially the jumping ones (Asian Carp/flying carp). More than one boater has had the pleasure of meeting one of these fish on the Mississippi.

#13 ·
they actually aint to bad eating if you can get around the bones.and the turtle farm is a good idea or you can freeze them whole sawzall them into pieces or steaks and use them to bait traps for ***** and such like previously stated or for crawdads.also front seat of annoying peoples cars.probably work for bear bait.try catching some turtles with it they are good eatin'.

#14 ·
Nice fish! 2 for 5 is pretty good shooting!

I do quite a bit of bowfishing and I know what you guys mean about not keeping them. The way I look at is that they are a non-native species that are way over-populated in most areas. I convince myself that I'm doing the ecosystem some good by thinning out a few, even though it doesn't even put a dent in the population. My dad has burried them in the flower beds, but I don't really have any use for them. I usually leave them on the river bank and something eats them right up. They are usually reduced to a skeleton in less than two days. I figure I'll give the racoons and crows a couple of days off from searching for food!

A buddy of mine knows a turtle trapper that said he said he would be interested in the carp, but that was a couple of years ago. I'll have to try to get in touch with him.

#15 ·
Don't feel bad about the carp guys. As stated, all carp are non-native and a proven detriment to our native fish and their environment. As one of the leading USGS fisheries biologists stated in an interview I did with him "The only good carp is a dead carp."

Turtle farmers, hog farmers, fetilizer for ag fields, raptor rescue centers, some zoos...all end uses for the fish. Bigheads and silvers are gaining popularity as good eating fish if you learn how to clean them. Also, don't forget that buffalo, gar, and suckers are good eating - not just ok, but good. Gar have no bones to worry about at all.

Just remember if you leave your fish out there, leave them where they won't bother other folks. A bunch of stinking fish at the ramp or a popular fishing bank is a very bad idea to say the least. Certainly, if left out, they will provide food for other animals.

#22 ·
Turtle farmers, hog farmers, fetilizer for ag fields, raptor rescue centers, some zoos...all end uses for the fish. Bigheads and silvers are gaining popularity as good eating fish if you learn how to clean them. Also, don't forget that buffalo, gar, and suckers are good eating - not just ok, but good. Gar have no bones to worry about at all.
The gult of killing to many carp is gone now. and I will try the suckers, been looking on how to pick them. and will try smoked carp.

#18 ·
we went out yesterday as well, in eastern sd they were thick, i bet between the 4 of us we took a 100-200 shots. I am still not very good with the deep shots (shooting into like 5-7' deep water) pretty hard to know how low to shoot.

We always bring the fish back with us and throw them in a dumpster, no point in leaving them out to rot, plus the landowner probably won't want a bunch of dead carp in the middle of his field once the water drys up.

Also too all of the new guys, i highly highly highly suggest that you get polarized sunglasses as well when your bowfishing, makes seeing in that water a lot easier

#19 ·
way to go buddy!Im X force 09 brother..Im the guy wearing the PSE hat.. I couldnt even get a shot off!Next time, guess whos doing all the navigating!
All i got from this was an hour in the hospital trying to figure out what the hell bit me!
Anybody in the Holland MI area, you are welcome to join us!

#29 ·
I haven't ever eaten one either told that to a guy that I worked with and he said he would take all we had. He cans them and swears they taste as good as salmon patties.

neighbor used to can them and take them downtown and sell them. I have no idea how to can anything but I'm sure a google search will give you all the details. I will keep giving to the guy at work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.