Archery Talk Forum banner

Sell Me on the Slick Trick Broadheads!!!!

3K views 49 replies 39 participants last post by  Dick H 
#1 ·
Just wanted to get some feedback on the Slick Trick broadheads? Just fyi, I have always used mechanicals because of the whole fly like field tips accuracy thing. But with mechanicals, as you know, there is always that ??? that something could go wrong. So I was thinking about trying out a fixed blade for the first time to see how they fly.

Wanted some feedback on how they fly compared to field points (at long distances too, 40-60 yds)? How durable are they? Are they sharp right out of the package? How well do they work on game? (By the way, they will primarily be used for elk hunting)

Which ones to get, 100 grain standard or magnum?

Any feedback appreciated.:thumbs_up

#23 ·
Don't know about STs, but..

Ditto on the g5 Strikers...I know that wasn't your question, but they are extremely sharp out of the box. What Muzzy refers to as the "chisel point" is razor sharp on the Strikers. Mine are flying like field points to 40 yards...haven't tried them past 40.

#3 ·
Like with any fixed head, your bow will have to be in tune for them to group with your field points. A little walkback tuning gets the job done.
As far as on game, I have taken numerous deer with them over the past 4 years, and they leave big holes and produce quick kills. Put it in the right spot, and they are devastating. I have had a couple bad shots and they still performed great. Shot through a scapula, bad angle, should of waited, but the head still blew clean through and I had a 50 yard retrieve.
The blades are very sharp right out of the pack, and I have used both the standards and the Mags with equal success. I have some of both and use the standards if I am hunting on super windy days and the Mags any other time. Dont know if it really helps, but I like the little smaller profile in the wind.
You will get alot of good and bad comments, but from my experience, and I havent shot them all, this is the best fixed head I have used, and have never lost a deer using tricks. They are my favorite and current head and I wont be changing anytime soon.

#4 ·
Whatever you do, DO NOT use ST's! They are boring.

First, there are no moving blades to worry about, no rubber "O" rings, they aren't exciting to watch open in slo-mo video, etc.

All they do is hit where you aim, and game expires.

"All of these above comments are just in fun".

To answer your question honestly, I love them and especially love the fact that I actually do not even have to think about them or be concerned with their "performance".

They do exactly what an excellent broadhead should do. Thye fly straight and kill things!

#5 ·
I guess I could handle boring.:D Thanks for the feedback so far.:thumbs_up Any more opinions are appreciated.

Is there any preference on the standards or the magnums? I understand that the magnums only have an extra 1/8" cutting diamater, which doesn't seem like much. Is there any difference in accuracy between the two?

#6 ·
I dont shoot anything but mechanicals but if I was gonna have to go back to fixed blade heads, it would be the slick trick. I think they are the best fixed head on the market.

#7 ·
When putting together my first all new set up after 11 years, I did a lot of research.

I had no loyalty or preferences for other heads, I have alwas used whatever rubbish heads I could buy locally and none of them were any good.

These heads are cheap, kill well and don't need your setup to be modified Slick Tricks were the obvious choice.

I have so far shot 3 of these hads at pigs and killed 4! And all with complete pass throughs!

#9 ·
The only gripe you may here is the whistling they make. But even that has never really been proven and is a lot of hearsay. I met 3 deer last fall that didn't like my ST standards. One was a 40 yard shot (long here in NE ohio) that was center punched. lil guy went about 30 yards and took a very long nap :thumbs_up

They tuned easily, and were good heads.

Hunting elk, I'd personally use the Mags just for a little extra cutting diameter

#10 ·
Slick Tricks

Out of a properly tuned bow they are true to field points.
11 deer with them in 2008. Point, shoot, in the truck baby!
I have 2 boiled out shoulder bones with 4 blade ST holes in them.
They are one of the least expensive heads on the market. Can't go wrong with these broadheads.

#11 ·
Slick Tricks

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give them a try.

#14 ·
shooting them for years and they're deadly and accurate.

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery look at how many folks have come out with the steep angle four blade head since ST's came out.

#16 ·
Slick Tricks

Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered 3 new packs for a blowout sale in the classifieds. $48 tmd for 3 (3 packs) of them. Tough price to beat. I ordered the standards. According to the seller, he said that the owner of Slick Trick recommends the standards for elk due to better penetration. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. Thanks to everyone.:thumbs_up

#19 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered 3 new packs for a blowout sale in the classifieds. $48 tmd for 3 (3 packs) of them. Tough price to beat. I ordered the standards. According to the seller, he said that the owner of Slick Trick recommends the standards for elk due to better penetration. I'm looking forward to giving them a try. Thanks to everyone.:thumbs_up
OMG you should be bared from AT for going over to the other side..no respectable expandable shooter would ever do that...HOW COULD YOU...and then to go to tricks to boot.. thats as bad as useing a rage...when you learn your mistake all i can say is dont come crawling back...

And just for your info you could have gotten a better deal on E BAY on the greatest head made..$52.00 a dozen for steelheads,TTH..

See you guys have to worry about..will my string break.. will my limb break..what other failure will i have... i know my steelhead will NEVER fail...just one less failure to worry about..JMO

#29 ·
that's the secret . get your bow tuned so fletch shafts impact with unfletched shafts at 20 yds or farther. from there they will be as accurate as you are. the broadheads will fly like field tips. shot a mule deer at 70 yds last year. he was allert and wathing me. he didn't move until the arrow passed through him and im only shooting a 350 gr arrow (100 gr st) at 54b lbs.

#20 ·
Try them they putt the blood on the ground. I shot a doe last year at 54 yards. My 2 yr old could have followed the blood trail she went 50 yards and I saw her fall. When gary came out with the frist ones I calle dhim and he sent me some to try. He said if you like them pay me for them and if you don't send them back. I got them and shot them at 60 yards and almost robinhooded a fp arrow. Came back inside and told the wife to send him a check.

#24 ·
I just started shooting them last year and am completely sold. I have shot lots of elk and have never seen an entrance or exit hole like the ST's. Instead of seeing three blade cuts through the lungs, you get a huge hole, like a drilled hole. They fly great! I use the standards and they are awesome.

#26 ·
I've used them the last couple years and really like the holes they put in deer. I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but I really like the one piece steel ferrule and the blade locking design. The blades are very sharp from the factory and easy to touch-up with a KME sharpener.

#28 ·
Slick Tricks

Thanks again for all of the replies.:thumbs_up

#32 ·
Arrow Tuning Question

So I have a fixed blade newbie question for you guys using the Slick Tricks or fixed blades in general.

Do you set your broadhead orientation to match a certain orientation to your vanes? If so, what orientation? Does it matter, or does it just matter that they are all orientated the same?

I have new uncut arrows, and I was wanting to know if I should setup my inserts a certain way?

#33 ·
So I have a fixed blade newbie question for you guys using the Slick Tricks or fixed blades in general.

Do you set your broadhead orientation to match a certain orientation to your vanes? If so, what orientation? Does it matter, or does it just matter that they are all orientated the same?

I have new uncut arrows, and I was wanting to know if I should setup my inserts a certain way?
Nope. Four blades vs. three vanes. Doesn't matter at all for me. I spin test them and tune from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.