Archery Talk Forum banner

Real Deal vs. Hunter Hogg It?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  pjwatson05 
#1 · (Edited)
I just spent about 20 minutes on the phone with a very helpful individual with Spot Hogg regarding their sights. I pretty much had my mind made up on a wrapped Real Deal with two .019 pins and three .010s. The reason the conversation took so long was he was educating me on 3rd axis adjustment. I think I finally get it now.

My question is, in the "real world" is the 3rd axis adjustment worth paying an extra $30-40? I recently bought a new bow that shoots great and is extending my range, at least from a practicing perspective.

Per his recommendation, I am going to go out and see what happens at extreme up/down to see how my bow responds. The results will likely answer my question, but I'm interested in any thoughts out there amongs Spot Hogg users.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
In a "real world" situation I doubt it would matter much. I have a Hunter Hogg-It (from before the wraps came around) and it's a rock solid, dependable sight. I also have an Extreme that is much brighter b/c of its extended fibers. Shooting out to 60 yards, I can't tell the difference in accuracy. Of course, this is across relatively flat ground, so if you throw in extreme elevations results could change.
If I had the wrap, I would prefer the Hunter hands down, but the Extreme is so much brighter I use it when hunting. Unless you're hunting in the mountains or shooting critters out of trees, I'd save the $40 and get the Real Deal.

#3 ·
I recommend the Hunter Hogg-It if you are a western hunter, for sure. Not so important to treestand and ground blind hunters in the east/south, but out west, it's a big advantage to have a good bubble level and 3rd axis adjustments for hunting hillsides/mountains. Keeps you from getting those annoying right/left flyers when shooting up or down steeply. Fiber brightness can be addressed easily by getting a Wrap, or simply replacing the stock fibers with brighter/longer ones.

#5 ·
For what its worth,heres my opinion.

I have used nothing but Spot Hogg Real Deal sights on all my bows for the last several years and have hunted 3 rocky mountain states,Canada, and several southeast & midwest states and they work great!
I just this past year added the wrap and have just ordered 2 more Real Deals with wraps for 2 new bows I have on order.
Never had any issues with them at all,always perform perfectly.
Not saying the other models aren't better but I found for a hunting sight the Real Deal is really about all I need.

#6 ·
Wrap

Just a heads-up when ordering the wrap kit customized from Spot Hogg directly. Cabelas sells the regular .19 kit for $64. The customized one I ordered from Spot Hogg was $76 for the wrap, $10 for .19 pins alternating green and yellow, and $9.25 shipping. Grand total $95.25!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.