Archery Talk Forum banner

NE WI Question

558 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  aitpointer2 
#1 ·
Hey this is a question for the NE WI guys (Green Bay area).... With the closing of Sportsmans Warehouse and Nicklois I am contemplating the idea of opening an archery shop with an indoor range, (apprx 35-40 yards).. In your honest opinion do you think Green Bay or the Surrounding area needs another archery shop and do you think there would be enough business to run one? Thanks for any input guys!

#2 ·
Go For it!

I am not from the Greenbay area, but from down in Southern Wiconsin by Lake Geneva. I do not care for the Archery shop down here so everytime I am up in the Greenbay area visiting family I always tend to stop in to a store or two. I would say I do like Niklois, i tend to stop there evrytime I am in town. I would see myself checking out your place for sure. I am not a buisness owner or know a tremendous amount about archery, but have managed in the service industry for a while and would give you a little advice.

1)Make sure to include something other then Archey in your place. Tv's, pool table, a bar. A place where guys cannot only shoot, and purchase equipment but also have a place to go when they don't want to be at home.

2)Keep your place clean and friendly. You have to go out of your way to make a first impression.

3)Get someone to also start up internet sales. Internet sales are killing alot of small stores, not just archery. But if you include an ebay store or a online webstore within your business it will only make you more marketable.

4)Make sure you place is easy to find. I am sick of driving everywhere to find a store stuck back at the end of an industrial park.

5) Get a kids program going. Kids who start shooting at your place are potential customers someday. They will always remember where they started out. Plus giving back to kids is way more rewarding then dickering a price with some old no-it-all.

Good luck to you and if it is something you want to do go for it and don't be afraid to take chances, the ones who don't often find themselves on the short end of the stick.

#4 ·
If it were me, I would try to define where I thought I was going to draw the majority of my customers from. There are several other archery shops in NE WI in both big and small towns within a half hours drive from Lambeau. What are you going to offer that these others aren't? As JDUB says, you will likely need to offer something in addition to just archery products and a range. Promoting an indoor and/or outdoor range and it's events will be critical to draw people in. Budget and plan accordingly. To many shops run their business more as a hobby rather than a business. Make sure you have a good business and promotional plan or else you will be doomed before you even open the doors.

Personally I think someone could survive there but I doubt anyone would make much more than enough to pay the bills, especially in this economy. The most profit is likely to be made at the range(s) by offering lots of fun leagues, special programs all why having some sort of food & beverage service. Archery products and service would only be the initial draw and has little profit margin in it alone. Might be a good question to ask your fellow club members there. You may also want to ask about this on the WBH forum.

Just my $0.02 worth... Good luck with your research and your project!

#5 ·
Alright thanks I appreciate the opinions!... Nickolis Archery is going out of business because (From another source) that the owner is having some major health issues and his daughter didnt feel like dealing with an archery shop....

#6 ·
I am from Nickolais archery and I talk to a lot of guys there. If you could open up a shop that is on the west side of town over by where Nickolais was and have Danny as your shop guy, you will have a very large customer base. Most of the costomers at Nickolais have been fallowing Danny everywhere he has serviced bows.

#8 ·
Thats exactly what I was thinking... Danny is the only guy I will let touch my bow and he s the best in the area... This is all VERY preliminary but I know there isnt much for archery shops and ranges on this side of town so Im tryin to get a feel for if it is worth it...

Truthfully Im not even sure what type of bows I would like to carry I would prolly talk to as many people as I could to see what everyone would like to see...

#9 ·
I dunno there is a pretty good amount of shops in the area I think. Hunters edge, backwoods, lena swamp, gander (if absolutely in a pinch), the one i manty, and then stretching to new london as well into oconto and peshtigo. There is tons of shops and great service by all with many brands of bows. You are definetly not deprived of a bow tech in this area!

#10 ·
yes we have allot of shops,but most of them are fly bye night shops,no indoor ranges,and do work on your bow and send it out the door,most of the local shops do not do fine tooning on the range,right im only going to one shop because he does have a indoor range,and he does very respectful work ,and he will help you with fine tooning on his range ,the owner is a perfectionist,it wont leave the shop until your happy with the set-up after work is done or on a new set-up it will be perfect before it leaves,i dont believe in going to a part time shop,if the owner is only doing it for part time ,no indoor range ,,,im not going to waiste my time going to him

#11 ·
You would be able to carry the Elite bows and Bowtech. Danny has those 2 brands that you would be able to sell just by having Danny as your shop guy. Martin and Ross would be a few others also.

#14 ·
I am not a big fan of hunter edge because when you walk in with anything other them a mathews, you feel like you have to be perfect because everyone is judging based on your bow. I enjoy the relaxed feel of kolais and everyone wants to help you to get better at Nickolais. Thats just my personal opinion on Hunters Edge. Im not bashing the shop, I just dont like the feel of the shop and the fact that Danny isnt there to work on my bow if something isnt right.

#15 ·
my thoughts exactly. I was referring to hunter's edge when I mentioned 'the .. other ... shop'..a lot of upsell pressure there if you are not shooting the newest models. Not that they're bad guys, I graduated HS with one of their techs, but a bit pushier than the other shops. Still have a great shop, and a nice facility and location. Wish they'd have a bit more on the shelf selection, but that seems to be typical of most shops lately.

#17 ·
Not really sure on either of the comments. On league night its only about half the bows are mathews. Nobody really cares. As far as pushy I think that is far from the truth. I have never heard them tell someone you have to have this. They don't shoot the bow, you do. There shop is awesome and I know they do a good job sharing there passion for archery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.