Archery Talk Forum banner

99 out of 100 ...

560 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  bginvestor 
#1 ·
Do you ever feel like you do 99 things right, but one thing goes wrong! :confused:

I just got back from my Arizona Merriams turkey hunt. I chase down these turkeys after an hour of calling, I raise my shotgun to shoot the Tom, and a piece of my leafy camo suite blocks my field of view w/ the sight..:eek: Here's the Tom in full strut while I am standing in the open , flicking my wrist to get line of sight on this Tom! This made me rush the shot and didn't hit him hard enough! Arghh!

Any stories out there to spread the PAIN :user:

#3 ·
Did I tell about the time I'm sitting in a NO brainer spot!
Deer runs in at 10 yards.....I bring the bow up and bang hit some dam piece of metal in the junk pile I'm hiding in!

-10 late Dec. evening...I just packed up and went home:embara:

Heres the spot...the trail leads to unpicked corn just on the other side of the pines....

#4 ·
Man, those are some fat nannies.

Anyways, I have had plenty. One instance is that I had a buck come in at 30yrd 30 mins before dark, and I tried stopping it then, but when it finally did, it was at 47 yds and behind brush; however, I just felt blessed to actually get to see a deer that close (I've yet to kill a deer with a bow, so...). I simply smiled and waited 15 more mins before I climbed down and went home. It's hunting. Learn to love mistakes/bad luck...

#5 ·
I learend some thing this turkey season if some thing can go wrong IT WILL go wrong were do I start 3 day hunt forst day have 3 nice toms 100 yards away they stop and just look at me like some thing is wrong I look behind me and there is a jake with three hens 20 yards away prob thought he was the big boss tom that has been kicken there butt they turn around walk away later that evening called a tom from ALONG ways away he gets about 70 yards away and some hoe bag hen starts calling up tom and away he goes 2nd day toms placed my blind were toms had been comeing out in the mornings just like clock work here comes a big ol boss tom 15 yards away pop shot right? nope had my pin set for thirty missin a few feathers on his back 3rd day (one week later after screwed up shot) set my blind in same location rooted the turkeys in the same tree that night about 930 am comes and goes still nothing I poped my head up above the wheat field and there are 5 coyotes out in the field! that night thought I could roost them again had the flock about 300 yards away and BAM A DAMN COYOTE GRABBED ONE OF THE TOMS!!!!! I just walked back to the truck and took the 3 hour drive home in disbelieve oh well its not happenin with bears this years its goin down

#7 ·
Me and my 6 year old was sitting in our ground blind turkey hunting. I had worked the graveyard shift the night before. I called a few times to the turkeys and got a couple to respond. They were hung up about 150 yards away. I told my son to keep watch and I was going to take a quick nap. As soon as I nodded off. My son taps me on the shoulder and says the turkey are right in front of us. Sure enough like 8 yards. I quickly pull up the shot gun. They are so close I think this is a done deal. I tell the boy to cover his ears with the muffs. I shoot, the turkey jumps straight up a couple feathers fly and so does he about 2oo yards and then a dead run into the woods.

A clean miss. I use a tight turkey choke to reach out there to 50 yards. My pattern turned out to be 3" to the left at 10 yards, but dead on over 20.

"DAD, what happened, the turkey were right there". I was speechless!!!:cry:

#9 ·
Oh man, here goes another one...

Everything in the hunt is perfect..

Perfect position in blind
I know the exact yardage
BIG Mulie at 36 yards
Not nervous
Checked my anchor sight for hand torque
Full draw w/ no noise
Mulie starring at my blind , perfect broadside

And pow! My arrow hits him slightly forward and hits bone. The Epek broadhead doesn't penetrate more than 3" or 4".

Next day, found the blood trail in the desert after an hour , find my arrow, blood goes dry after 5 hours.. :embarres:

The one thing I did wrong was I rushed the shot and did not place the bead well on the body! Arghh! Its always just one thing..

I am writing this not for your entertainment, but for therapy reasons..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.