Archery Talk Forum banner

Talk me out of them

1K views 23 replies 21 participants last post by  Stanley 
#1 ·
I shot a coues whitetail and a javelina last year with G-5 Montec's. They worked flawlessly. I am the type of guy that likes to try new things, but can't find a reason to switch to anything else. What is a better alternative, and why. I want hard proof, not guesses and "I've heard ....".

#3 ·
There's a lot to be said about haveing confidence in your equipment, as well as in your shooting abilities. If you've used certain gear/accessories in the past that have worked well for you time and time again, then you will have the confidence that they will work again when you need it. Trying new gear every year is fun, but there's nothing worse then second guessing yourself, or the equipment that you're using during a hunt when a shot presents itself. The result is usually a missed shot, or worse yet, wounded game. Use what's worked well for you in the past, and use what you have already gained confidence in the it will work again when needed. You should be so confident in the gear that you use to a point that if you do miss, or make a poor shot, you have nothing to blame but yourself, and not your equipment.

#4 ·
You really can't be talked out of the G-5 Montecs. They're an extremely solid b-head machined of stainless steel. Easy enough to sharpen and fly very well for a fixed blade head.

Now if your question is...Are their other b-heads on the market that will provide benefits not offered by the Montec? Then the answer is absolutely.

Rage b-heads are going to give you flatter more even trajectory past 40 yards. (but if you don't shoot that far, then it doesn't matter) They are also going to give one of the largest and most devestating wound channels possible. (this you can't get with Montecs)

It really comes down to personal preference. If absolute-no hassles-no questions asked-reliability-no matter what is your thing. Then I would stay right where you are. But if you want to take longer (more accurat b-head shots) and you want huge entrance/exit holes with amazing blood trails (but don't mind the extra care and replacements that come with expandables) then the Rage is the best b-head you'll ever shoot.

BTW...Just My Opinion

#7 ·
Give the rage a shot. The hole is almost unbelievable! I am like you and NEED to try something new all the time, so I picked up some epiks, but for the first time in my short bowhunting career, I dont want to switch away from the rage! In that moment of truth when the stars have aligned and the buck I have been scouting for months steps out, I am going to want a broadhead I trust on the end of my arrow!

It seems like you found the broadhead that is a perfect fit. Go ahead and buy something else, but you will probably WANT that montec when it comes time to let the arrow fly. Why shoot anything else?

#8 ·
not broke

The montec is a well constructed head and it will get the Job done. The only complaint we've had was their sharpness that lead us to change to strikers. They are the sharpest out of the box although the slick tricks are very sharp since they changed blades. There are plenty of good heads out there if youre itchin to switch.

#9 ·
The G5 Montec is all I have used except once. I tried something new last year and had a bad experience in which I feel the Montec would have succeeded. Lesson learned: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have no reason to switch either. They are just a good quality, dependable and trustworthy broadhead.

I have never heard of anyone not putting an animal down because the Montec was not sharp enough out of the box. The sharpness has always been the "bad rap" with these heads but I feel it is unwarranted. Personally, I have not once had a problem with them and have used them for years.

#10 ·
I wouldn't change a thing if it works for you. I also love the G5 montec. I shot my bull with one that last two years and they performed perfectly. I practice with mine out to 70 yrds and they fly perfectly and shoot very tight groups. They are also one of the toughest b-heads I have used. I try new b-heads every year but when it is time to go hunting I always go back to the G5 montec.

Good hunting to all!!

#11 ·
Me

I shot Muzzy for over 15 years. I switched to G5 last year and took three deer. They worked great. I will add I also hit a doe to far back. 110 percent my fault. I did not find her. I helped a friend of mine trail a deer hit by an Undertaker by Trophyridge and could not believe the blood trail. I have never seen a better one. I picked up a doz. of them and will try them this year. I kept my G5's though just in case.

#16 ·
Sharpening

To me, BH's like the Montec that you can sharpen on a flat stone (because of the angle) provide an advantage. It is difficult to keep the angle of blade to stone consistent unless the head design is such that you can sharpen one edge (of two of the 3 blades) by just pushing it along a flat stone - then it is very easy. This leads to very sharp BH's and therefore better results. That said, I haven't had problems with the Muzzy 100's so far, but I don't sharpen, just buy new replacement blades and maybe touch them up if needed - but they are more difficult to sharpen. My son killed a 150 lb hog with an 85 gr Montec and a bow set with less than 40 lbs of draw wt. - had a good clean kill.

#17 ·
I've strayed, but keep coming back. Think I'm here to stay, they just perform well for me.

To those suggesting Rage. I'm curious. Is that big wound channel worth the chance of broadhead failure? I haven't seen a "Rage Kill" thread for a shot that wasn't a kill shot anyway. If you put any broadhead through the lungs/liver/heart deer is dead. Seems like a risk to me. I guess if you subscribe to Rage's theory that it doesn't matter where you hit your deer, as long as you hit it, then the wound channel plays a bigger role.

#20 ·
I heard that although these are sharper, that they are not stainless, and can rust. Makes me nervous.

Thanks for all the comments. Can I ask what is the toughest mechanical broadhead, in case I decide to test one out. I mean, the one you would want on the end of your arrow, when you shoot right into the shoulder blade of a 400" bull elk.

#22 ·
not to get in to a huge rage debate, but I just make sure once I nock the arrow to check and make sure they are "snapped" in place. If they stop "snapping" in place, either rotate the O ring or if you feel you need to, replace it. Problem solved!

#23 ·
i have killed a few elk with montecs and they are great heads in every aspect, BUT they are loud in flight. i found they hissed and whistle a little bit so i switched to shuttle t's. i love they way they fly and i can replace the blades if need be. plus they came out with the new style blades.
as far as rage bh's...i have never been a fan of mechanicals. to each his own.
ive got a friend in hawaii that hunts pigs all the time. he told me that he tested rage bh's and yes, the entrance wound was huge, but no exit.
the shot was up hill so it hit the opposite shoulder and stopped the arrow. he said that was the first time that he has not had a pass through on a pig. but like i said, to each his own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.