Archery Talk Forum banner

Unbelievable!!!

756 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  patchman 
#1 ·
Is it just me, or is turkey hunting like playing checkers with some simpleton that doesn't even know the rules, and getting beat....BAD? You do everything right and an amimal with a brain the size of a pea outwits you. I called in a hen and a NICE long beard this morning, slowly but surely he's coming in, in walks a jake, great I think, I've got no problems shooting him either. They get into it and the hen leaves, the tom whoops the jake, who promptly leaves the field, meets up with another jake, and returns with his buddy and now the 2 of em commense to whoopin up on the tom. Great show, sure, but then those inconsiderate so and so's leave the field and walk off to. So I'm sitting there hoping one of them comes back, and about an hour later here comes another good bird, silent but coming my way. At 25 yards he's plenty close but he's off to the side of the blind, so I lean over slightly to get an idea of exactly where he is, keep in mind now the sun is shining right in the front of the blind he catches me moving through the netting and turns around, walks into the woods behind me and stands in there gobbling for the next hour and I can't get him out. Long story short, gobblers 4 me 0. Frustrating...heck yeah, but it sure beats the heck out of going to work. Tomorrows the daughters turn to try again, those bird brains got a rude awakaning coming when we have a scatter gut instead of a stick and string.

#2 ·
Welcome to my world buddy. Bow hunting those feathered demons can drive a man mad. But its hunting, and even a frustrating day in the woods is better than any day in my cubicle! Good Luck!

#3 ·
yeah they mess with our minds, one day they wont come in no matter what you try . Another day you give a couple yelps and have birds parked in your lap begging to be shot. Randy

#6 ·
I hunt turkeys a lot...and I don't use a blind whether using a bow or shotgun. One time I called in a longbeard that was coming through a narrow road through a thicket. He was strutting on the othe side of the thicket and I set up along the road. he came in strutting towards me the whole time. After 20 minutes, he came in 1 slow step at a time. I was trying to let him strut by me so I could pull my bow. Then he got about 2 feet from the end of my arrow and his head snapped up and he took off running from me! It was a hunt I will never forget...but wish I could have got an arrow into him!

#8 ·
Turkeys were put here to teach us patience and humility. They are good teachers.

Get a blind, a comfortable chair, a couple cushions, a good book, food and water, and wait them out.

Slowhandstl

#12 ·
Problem with all that is, you can't buy patience, and I need some. I like to be mobile, and blind hunting is good but it sure ain't mobile.
Hey don't get me wrong I glad as heck that I drug my sorry butt out of bed and got to see all that, I just had to laugh and vent when it was all over.

#11 ·
The bird I been hunting has come in to 40 yards on several occasions in the last few weeks including today. Funny part is the strip of woods they have to travel through to get to where I have a camera and a feeder is not that big. Somehow he manages to get around me and is on camera several times a day! Today he just strutted and looked longingly at my love triangle decoy setup. Lucky for him I had no clear shot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.