Archery Talk Forum banner

Bowhunter Education

911 views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  ILLbucknut 
#1 ·
I was wondering how many of you feel the need for Bowhunter education to hunt with a bow in your state. Here in Virginia you take the states hunter education course which is 99% gun and muzzle loading and 1% bow. I feel that this allows for less ethical shots and crazy shots as most people think that shoulder shots are ok or use Ky windage(no offense to KY) when they start out new with a bow
When I grew up, that states course made you shoot with your bow at 20 yards to see you were able to cleanly harvest game. This was also in 1980 and times have changed.

I feel that some states only care about license sales and the money not the sport in general.

What do you guy's think

Rob

#2 ·
Here in PA. when I took the course several years ago (20 to be exact) they spent very little time on Bowhunting. As far as making you shoot to pass the course, I think thats a bit much. I was raised hunting, mostly upland bird and Rifle Buck Season, but I was always told not to take a shot unless you were certain that it would be a killing shot. As far as people making bad decisions in the woods, I don't think how well you shoot has any bearing on making the right decision. A bad shot is a bad shot, no matter how accurate a target shooter you are. The key to a clean and ethical kill is knowing your limitations. Each hunter makes their own decision, and is raised hunting in a certain manner. How good a shot you are on the archery range really doesn't compensate for bad decisions. Just my feelings.

#3 ·
Thanks

I agree with you, I'm more worried about the young kids or adults who are new to this and only have been gun hunting and think that in archery you can make the same shots with the bow they take with a gun or buckshot.

#4 ·
I agree you should have to display your skills with both gun and bow, but my problem with it is having someone prove they can shoot, doesn't mean they will take an ethical shot. In fact some who are a bit over confident are usually guilty of trying to hit turkeys in their pooper shoot from 100 yds :mg:

When I took the course we spent all of 10 minutes on bow hunting. I couldn't get my motorcycle until I could prove I could ride it so I can see where this would be beneficial.

#5 ·
a1hoyt.ca

I feel that Bowhunter Ed. is vital to our heritage and the young kids now days to mentor and teach them the ins and outs of this wonderful way of life. We all are role models to someone so lets start with the youth of today and keep our heritage going for a long long time. I took the class here in Idaho with my daughter last year and it opened up her eyes to a hole new world She was a little fustrated that she missed 4 questions and Dad only missed one because dad is stubburn. I am. But we talked about it and she completely understands that I have been bowhunting for over 25 years and she is just a little youth cub trying to learn the ropes. Very Very Important.

#7 ·
In ME we have both hunter and bowhunter safety. I took hunter safety but was grandfathered out of bowhunter safety. In this day and age it's necessary due the population increase and less-than-involved parent/role models.

#8 ·
Its not REQUIRED in Missouri, but they put it on a few times a year. And in the Kansas City area there are a few managed hunts in the city limits that in order to qualify for the hunt you MUST take it. It is 8 hours of strictly bow hunting and separate from the hunter education course.

#10 ·
Yep! I'll be taking mine next week. I'm new to bowhunting and know that there is a lot I don't know in regards to approaching safety and shot ethics when hunting with a stick and string vs. a smokepole.

Besides...those KC managed hunts are gooooood. They're adding SWOPE PARK to the list this year! Too bad you can't carry a concealed weapon while you bowhunt in MO...you'd need to in swope park!

I'll be putting in for riverfront park.

#9 ·
I'd like to see it. Proper shot selection is improtant to young or new archers.
And you can never be too safe.

Watch a local trophy run around with an arrow in his brisket and you feel like me.:pukey:

I remember watching Easton's Bowhunting and they actually had a tough shooting exam in...Norway or some EU country like that.

#11 ·
i helped teach the course here for a bit. i think the younger kids learned alot. and even the older guys learned a thing or two. tree stand safety was a big part. and of course shot placement. i think we all can learn from the class.

#12 ·
Yes i agree with it here in Alaska. They have a couple of moose hunts right here in Anchorage that are archery only and they want to make sure you are proficent with your weapon. It looks bad on Archerys and hunters when a bull moose crosses the Glenn Highway with an arrow in its chest.

#14 ·
It's a pretty good class,I agree that it should be required here. Its required up here in Alaska for archery only hunts, I took it recently. It is easy to pass, all you have to hit is 5 out of 8 targets,double kill, farthest shot was 29 yards, I got 8 out of 8. But there were some there that shouldn't be bowhunting lol. It is separate from Hunter education class.

#15 ·
Yea same here. The course was pretty easy, but there were a few guys that shouldnt have passed. There were alot of guys you could tell never practiced. You would think if someone missed the target completely, they would have to retake the class haha. Where in AK did you take it?

#16 ·
Really wish they had it in IL., I find a few dead deer now and then that have been poorly shot.
It's not only shot placement though, its ethics also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.