Archery Talk Forum banner

Am I over spined?

541 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Wattensabohuntr 
#1 ·
I am shooting 27" 75/95 gold tips with 125 gr. heads. Draw length is 27.5 and 70 lbs ross cardiac. I got heavier arrows for an elk hunt this year, but want to make sure I am in the proper spine catagory. Thanks for any help.:darkbeer:

#3 ·
azoutback,

I dont think you are over spined at all. My setup is very similar (71 pound draw 07 Cardiac with a 27" draw) and I could only get fixed blade broadheads to impact the same as field points by switching from 125 gr heads to 100 gr heads. Although many charts may suggest adequate or even stiff spine, my broadheads always impacted to the right of my field points with the 125 gr head. My arrows are GT 7595 (.340 spine) cut to 27". I also made up some slightly longer arrows for turkey (29") and had to go to a .300 spine shaft to tune with a 125 gr head.

#4 ·
I would have left them a little longer, but they should work. You could also try, if necessary, those little brass extenders that add another 25 grains to the end of the arrow shaft.

#5 ·
overspine

If you cant get to fly correctly there are 2 things you can try up front. As this post states add a little weight up front, or add a couple pounds draw weight. It is easier to tune a slightly overspined set up than it is to tune an underspined setup

#6 ·
Thanks for all the tips guys. My only concern with adding weight to the front of the arrow would be that f.o.c. might be way off.
I hope that they will shoot alright with the magnus snuffer 2 blade. They claim to be a very accurate broadhead. Also, I have a dozen 55/75's cut to the same length. Would I be better off shooting them? It seems they would be weak with the 125 gr. Thanks again for any input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.