Archery Talk Forum banner

Get a load of what my new school district wants me to teach!

971 views 21 replies 20 participants last post by  easeup 
#1 ·
So I signed a contract today with a new district.

In addition to 8th grade social studies I also get to teach two electives. Those electives are going to be....

1. Fly Tying (which the school pays for all the materials)
2. Hunter Education (4 classes a year, each running for a quarter)

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :thumb:

Now that is how you get kids involved in the outdoors!

#7 ·
I'm a senior majoring in Elementary Ed. and I just designed a mock-school plan for 7th grade that has "outdoor sporting" as a quarterly elective! Good to see it's actually happening out there!

Where do you teach?

#10 ·
Sounds like you got a good thing going there. Wish the schools around here were so inclined to try something "new". Kids these days have to much free time and technology at there disposal, way to easy for them to get into some serious trouble.

Congrats on the new deal by the way. I only hope my daughter has teachers throughout the years who are "into" the outdoors.

#11 ·
I took fly-tying as an elective in 8th grade. That was 1978.......I'm glad there are schools around that still offer stuff like this.

I thought you were going to say something crazy like.....evolution.

#13 ·
That is sweet, have fun teaching these kids as they will remember it forever! Awesome deal for you!!

#16 ·
it sure is nice to see a school system support sporting classes. these days most school sysytems wouldnt do it purely for political reasons/afraid someone would be offended. congrats to you!!!

#17 ·
Actually you'd be surprised....
You just have to look..

In the Mpls METRO area:
NASP program pretty much state wide including innner city metro schools
My son's suburb school(liberal hippie school of course:)) Has a trap shooting team.
Minntonka..another surburb, hippie school has an ice fishing club.
And the list goes on ..

Outstate this one is really cool:
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/volunteer/janfeb09/fish_decoys.html

Please.....find these programs in your area and support them...
At the least, support them with donations....at best support them with your volunteer time!

#21 ·
WOW lucky you! Congrautaion! :darkbeer:

Over here in canada, ont, gta... It's kinda silly, they are even removing starter pistol for running/racing. And no college has archery range, or club.... other then one but they lost the shooting range...

It would of been great for ice fishing, trap shooting club over here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.