Archery Talk Forum banner

Short Draw/Low Poundage Guys

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Code3 
#1 ·
Hey I have a question...I shoot 26.5 inches of draw length and like to keep my draw weight in the 60 lb range. Anyone shoot similar set ups? What kind of performance are you getting? What animals have you shot and what kind of broadheads/arrow's did you use? I am looking to hunt pigs for the first time and am wondering if my set up will be good to go or if I should maybe up the draw weight to 70 or more?

#3 ·
i have a 27 inch draw and shoot 60 lbs. I can pull more and always catch crap for it. But im comfortable with it, and i have harvested 8 of 10 deer with a bow and had no problems what so ever

#4 ·
I shoot 60 lbs. with a 27" draw. I use Carbon Express Rebel Hunter 45/60 Arrows tipped with Muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. And they do just fine for me. The bow is a Bowtech TomKat single cam. It's a great little bow that fits great in my Lone Wolf Sit & Climb tree stand. :)

It's all about shot placement in whatever you decide to shoot. If you get that arrow into the boiler room it doesn't matter if your shooting 45 lbs. or 70 lbs.Shot placement is critical, that cannot be stressed enough. :thumb:

#5 ·
well here is what i have found successful. i had a bowtech equalizer at 51 lbs and a 24 inch draw and i shot a hog with a stellforce over the spring of 08.

right now i have a pse x-force sd lf at 53 lbs and a 25.875 with magnus broadheads stingers and i shot three deer with it in 08. one adoe at 41 yards. pass through on all three deer this year.

for u i would recomend the original x-force or the new x-force gx.

#7 ·
I measure out at 26.5" but a 27" fits me better and shoot 53#. Two years ago shot a Bowtech Equalizer at 27". Last year I shot a Hoyt Kobalt and 350 gr. arrows and got around 256 fps. Being a shorter ATA it was a bit more touchy but shot well. Now am shooting Hoyt's AlphaMax 32 with a 27" draw and 53# and with a 280 gr. arrow getting 280 fps, hunting set up will have a 350-375 gr. arrow and should be around 260 fps. The draw cycle isn't as smooth as the cam1/2 plus on the Kobalt but still draws easy. All that said, a shorter draw length doesn't necessarily mean you have to give up speed or performance. As said, placement is all important but these short bows let you keep the comfort and speed/foot-pounds that will really suit you. You shouldn't have any problems if you pick good equipment and all the companies offer this for you. Just make a good shot and you'll be fine.

#8 ·
Yeah I am by no means caught up on speed but have just never shot hogs and have always heard they are super tough so just want to be sure...thanks for the input everyone. I am looking to maybe buy a new bow madness...got a friend with the hook up...talking less than $350 brand new. I think it will work good for me.

#10 ·
The shield area on a hog can be really tough! I try for a quartering away shot, slipping the arrow in behind the shield. Shot placement is critical and I like cut on contact broadheads! Also, study the anatomy of a hog...the vital area is more forward than you think! Oh, I shoot a Martin Bengal at 60 pounds and 25 inch draw....like a "hot knife through butter!"

#12 ·
Your set up should be just fine. I'd recommend a sharp fixed blade head like a Slick trick, montec, striker, or muzzy. As previously stated, need to get to the critical area on a hog. If you hit it and you get a good blood trail, track it and stick it again if needed.

#14 ·
My favorite bow right now is my 08 Elite GTO 26 1/2 @60lb. The bow has 26 1/2" mods on it but it is closer to 27". It is shooting my 347 gr Carbon Express out at 281 fps. The bow draws very smooth with very little hand shock and noise. It puts out more then enough KE to take down North American game.

#15 ·
I shoot a Mathews Switchback 26in at 60# with a 340gr arrow with Magnus 100gr stingers. A hogs heart is low and sits rights above the front leg. This site will show you where you need to shoot.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Pigs are tough, but remember they are not tanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.