PDA

View Full Version : WMA Quotas

FredGarvin
May 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well.... About a week left until the quota application starts for us public land hunters! Should be interesting to see how the new non-transferable system works. I am a bit skeptical that it will work out as planned -- my main concern is that I think many applicants will continue to do the 'ole apply with as many licenses of freinds/family because they simply don't know about the quota changes.

But who knows, it might work out great.

Anyway --- which WMA's / Hunts are you planning?

I havent' totally commited to secondary choices yet, but I am sure about my first preference:

1st Choice Archery: ThreeLakes WMA (Osceola County)
2nd Choice Archery: Citrus
1st Choice Muzzy: ThreeLakes WMA
1st Choice Gun: ThreeLakes

JPizzle
May 20th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Big Cypress Opening day as it opens a week early for archery. Then either Picayune or a small private piece I have here in town. When Central Opens, hit the lease and the weekends I stay here either the private tract and weekends in the Cypress.

I havent really ever tried for any quotas as the cypress seems good enough.

I have thought about webb but never took the time to drive up and scout it out.

FredGarvin
May 20th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have thought about webb but never took the time to drive up and scout it out.

I gave up trying to get a quota. Which really isn't a big deal because Archery lasts only 2 days! :confused:

CamoCop
June 3rd, 2009, 12:41 AM
i got mine in on the 1st, keeping my fingers crossed. worst case scenario is i spend all hunting season at my lease in Georgia.

FLwombat
June 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Got all mine in right on June 1st! Hoping for the best!:darkbeer:

jjallison
June 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Put mine in on the first as well...keeping my fingers crossed.

joefitz
June 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
i am new to fla,i am also a disabled vet,i have a disabled licence, how do you put in for public land hunts??

soflanut
June 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
i am new to fla,i am also a disabled vet,i have a disabled licence, how do you put in for public land hunts??

From FWC's web site

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_index.aspx

Captbob
June 25th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Webbs lookin pretty good so far drove around couple days ago counted 14 reel nice does and 2 decent bucks (decent by webb standards). It is LOADED with hogs as always sooo as long as i dont have to use my chest waders again:wink::set1_rolf2: it should be a decent year

FredGarvin
July 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Results of the quota draw phase 1 are completed. You can check at:

https://hfwa.centraltechnology.net/fl_quota/

I feel fortunate to get all 3 of my ThreeLakes quotas. I'm seeing lots of others who aren't so lucky.

Some anectodal stories reveal that perhaps people are applying regardless of their intent to acutally hunt the quota they applied for. Some suggest that applicants intentionally applied for Archery and Muzzy even though they don't even have archery equipment because they believe it will result in less pressure for their General Gun hunts.

scott26
July 11th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Hate to hear that as I also live in sw florida and did not get drawn for ANY permit that I applied for. Not Hog, alligator, archery, or general gun:angry:

FredGarvin
July 11th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hate to hear that as I also live in sw florida and did not get drawn for ANY permit that I applied for. Not Hog, alligator, archery, or general gun:angry:

Scott, sorry to hear bud...

But, there's plenty of public land to hunt after the quota period on several WMA's. You might have to travel a bit, I don't think Babcock is open without a quota (but the season is only 2 days anyway).

I've made a home out at ThreeLakes for the past couple of years -- my camper is parked there all season. It's good because the quotas are only for the first weekend (archery) and first 9 days (gen gun), so that leaves like 5 weeks of archery availble without a quota required.

Heck, last season there was hardly anyone there during archery. I have a couple of stands "up front" close to the check in that I regularly see game (almost always a decent opportunity to get a doe or pig), and there was absolutely no one near me the entire archery. I have a couple of other spots way out back that I did not see anyone for 5 weeks in a row. So, there's good opportunity if you make the trip.

It's a bit of a drive, about 3 hours from Pt. Charlotte, but it's centrally located so it affords the opportunity to meet up with freinds from the east coast, and I really only hunt Archery and Muzzy real hard --- gen gun is just too loco for my taste.

scott26
July 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Good information Fred and thanks. I will have to look into that one. Do you know anything about a WMA called Picayune down near Naples?? I was told you can bowhunt that one w/o a quota tag. I will have to research both. Thanks again.

Scott

Duckbill
July 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I was very fortunate this year. I drew 1st choice Archery and ML, as well as 3rd choice Gen Gun. I'm sure it means that next year will suck, so I'll have to make the most of this years good luck.

Captbob
July 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
green swamp and big cypress dont require quotas. but they are loaded with people

JPizzle
July 12th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I have hunted Picayune before. It is open in archery without a quota. There are two different entrances. The one of Everglades road is completely asphalt paved. The sabal palm entrance will be 1-2 feet deep come season if it is a normal rainy season. I have seen some really nice bucks there but you really got to scout for them as it is thick there.

FredGarvin
July 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Good information Fred and thanks. I will have to look into that one. Do you know anything about a WMA called Picayune down near Naples?? I was told you can bowhunt that one w/o a quota tag. I will have to research both. Thanks again.

Scott

Don't have much info on the Southern WMA's, JPizzle I think is a better information source on those. But you can get some very good info by doing some aerial scouting to get started (I like MSN's Mapping website because of it's "Birds Eye View", which gives the highest resolution imagery I have found).

Here is a list of all WMA's that do not require a quota. Well, some require quotas for the first portion of the season:

http://myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/hunt_WMAsQuotaPermitNotNeeded. pdf

Here's a list of all the WMA's:

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_WMABrochs.htm

There is game to be taken at these places. One of the reasons I have settled for ThreeLakes is it's size, 55,000 acres gives you a chance to get away from the crowds.

Definitely archery is the best way to go. Like I said, many people don't take advantage of it (at least enough people to make it crowded) and so there's plenty of opportunity to get some decent hunts in. It's tough hunting with so much water, bugs, heat, etc --- but that is what keeps the masses away. I've just kinda accepted all of those annoyances and consider it just to be part of the hunt.

scott26
July 12th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Fred and JPizzle,

Great info guys many thanks. I will have to check out the MSN mapping site as I have not used it before, just google earth.

CaptBob green swamp is a little more distance than I was hoping to travel. Bigcypress is so darn wet I cant find anyplace real accesible w/o a swampbuggy. Yep and it covered up with people

Hopefully I can get out and scout picayune in the coming weeks before season opener. Thanks again to all

Scott

evolution.727
July 24th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Fred i'll be hunting three lakes this year for archery.I pulled a quota permit too.Do you camp at the 441 or 60 entrance ?We applied as a group so i'll have a couple guys with me.

FredGarvin
July 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hey Fred i'll be hunting three lakes this year for archery.I pulled a quota permit too.Do you camp at the 441 or 60 entrance ?We applied as a group so i'll have a couple guys with me.

We setup camp @ 441 (Williams Rd) entrance. We usually get setup on the second right going into the campsite (I think there are 3 seperate entrances). Usually just my small camper and another friend from West Palm Beach with a tandem axel camper.

Where will you be setting up camp at?

evolution.727
July 24th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I think 441.Probably going to stay the first week and then get up there as much as possible after that.Have you ever hunted on loop road I guess it would be rd 3

FredGarvin
July 24th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I think 441.Probably going to stay the first week and then get up there as much as possible after that.Have you ever hunted on loop road I guess it would be rd 3

A couple of years ago, but not enough time there to give you any good info on that area. I stick to Rd12 at the north side, west of the turnpike. I have a couple of "go to" stand locations but plan to stalk/walk a bit and locate some more spots that I have pinned on the aerial photos. There's quite a bit of land between Rd12 south to Williams/Rd3(loop rd) where there's no road access. Plan is to park Rd12 then walk and glass south after the morning hunt.

Other than that, I tend to hunt Rd1 between Williams and Rd1.

evolution.727
July 25th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Are you setting your stands in oaks or close to cypress swamps?When we were scouting for turkey this spring seamed to see a lot of deer near oaks but that's spring with no hunting pressure.

FredGarvin
July 25th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Are you setting your stands in oaks or close to cypress swamps?When we were scouting for turkey this spring seamed to see a lot of deer near oaks but that's spring with no hunting pressure.

I seem to catch them moving through cypress at times, or along the edges. With that said, I tend to locate proximate to the cypress, but yes I get a good feelings when there are oaks near by. Also, they won't be pressured opening weekend and Archery "in general"!

Here's a setup I had last year for hogs. Just never could time it right I guess, but had seen a lot of movement/activity out of bow range while on stand. It has the right mix of what I tend to gravitate to when choosing a setup. Hopefully the image works:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/3LakesHogSetup1.jpg

evolution.727
July 25th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I've been eyeing some fence lines on the map but not sure how far in they are from the roads.I can't wait to go scout it out.Have you ever used a decoy to hunt?

FredGarvin
July 26th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Have you ever used a decoy to hunt?

No way would I walk around any public WMA with a fake deer in my arms. I guess it could be a very dangerous way to collect some free arrows!

evolution.727
July 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
That's funny.Can get pretty scary out there sometimes.We turkey hunted there this year.We got there at 5:00am and there was 36 hunters before us already inside.

leecountyarcher
July 27th, 2009, 04:47 PM
its funny because i didnt get anything either. But i live in SW florida and my dad has recieved a quoata for webbs. But we can get a guest quaota so that we can still both hunt webbs. BUT you have to share bag limits.

JPizzle
July 27th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Dont be affraid to hunt the cypress. You dont need a buggy to get around. I hunt the Deep Lake unit which is all walk in and archery only during the archery and gun season. It really doesnt get much deaper than 18" unless you get into the middle of the cypress heads. I hunted it last archery during TS Fay and it wasnt that bad. Just spend some time walking and you will see deer. You can walk in to the other units also. Take a ride one evening and look around.

FredGarvin
July 28th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Dont be affraid to hunt the cypress. You dont need a buggy to get around. I hunt the Deep Lake unit which is all walk in and archery only during the archery and gun season. It really doesnt get much deaper than 18" unless you get into the middle of the cypress heads. I hunted it last archery during TS Fay and it wasnt that bad. Just spend some time walking and you will see deer. You can walk in to the other units also. Take a ride one evening and look around.

Yep I totally agree with that JP. What I have seen in ThreeLakes WMA, if you walk the perimiter of a cypress head or just inside the edge where the cypress are smaller size, I find the majority of buck rubs. Also, there are some cypress heads that have travel corridors through the middle of them.

While I doubt that the heads would hold bedded deer because of the water (unless there are some with high ground in them, but I haven't seen any like that yet), some of them seem like highways that provide great cover for moving deer. And pigs too!

That image I posted above is a typical setup for me, or at least what's in my thought process when setting up. Just inside the outer edge of a cypress head, palmettos with a clearing between and if possible a stand of oak.

soflanut
July 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM

I thought it was pretty strange the day a walked out there which seemed like miles. I sat in one of the hammocks to rest. After a few minutes I heard something sloushing around in the water behind me. I turned slowing hoping it was a deer or a hog but I was suprise when I saw a truck driving by.

JPizzle
July 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Are you talking a car in Deep lake or another unit. I find most of my rubs on the edge of cypress heads also. I spent some time out there in Feb when there was no green which really helped seeing the trails through the cypress and spotting the rubs. I plan on going out there on Sunday to make a final look around as I want to get my stands ready next week. One month away.

FredGarvin
July 29th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Are you talking a car in Deep lake or another unit. I find most of my rubs on the edge of cypress heads also. I spent some time out there in Feb when there was no green which really helped seeing the trails through the cypress and spotting the rubs. I plan on going out there on Sunday to make a final look around as I want to get my stands ready next week. One month away.

I hear you on the Gettin' ready! Giddyup!

RE: cypress head... I always just think that the trails INSIDE are strictly for travel, and most probably are because of the high water, BUT there are a couple of heads that I have scouted on the aerial images (using MSN's Birds Eye View high res) that seem to have "holes" or smaller sized open areas. In my mind this could be a couple of things:

1. Downed trees from high winds/hurricanes
2. Higher ground

If the case is #2 then I'm curious to take a look and see if these are actual bedding areas. Without having looked yet, I kinda think they are because of the amount of buck rubs I seem to locate around the edges.

Have you ever found a patch of high ground inside the middle of a cypress head?

JPizzle
July 30th, 2009, 05:11 PM
On our lease in Central Florida, I have found some "higher" ground in the middle of cypress, but at the same time, the heads arent all that wet. I think alot of the land in central florida is somewhat drianed of what it used to be so the cypress heads dont get as wet as they once were. Some of the heads in the Big Cypress I have seen in Feb and they were bone dry and in the fall they have 3+ feet of water in them. And these arent the really swamppy area like a marsh or anything. Our CFL cypress heads usually have some sort of high grass in them and also some myrtles. I always associate myrtles with bedding so I know they bed in there.

Teh Wicked
July 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Im heading to Green Swamp the first few days of bow season. never bow hunted in FL before so it should make things interesting.

FredGarvin
July 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
On our lease in Central Florida, I have found some "higher" ground in the middle of cypress, but at the same time, the heads arent all that wet. I think alot of the land in central florida is somewhat drianed of what it used to be so the cypress heads dont get as wet as they once were. Some of the heads in the Big Cypress I have seen in Feb and they were bone dry and in the fall they have 3+ feet of water in them. And these arent the really swamppy area like a marsh or anything. Our CFL cypress heads usually have some sort of high grass in them and also some myrtles. I always associate myrtles with bedding so I know they bed in there.

From what I have noticed, depending upon rainfall amounts in May-Sept as well as Hurricanes :mg: determines how deep it'll be. But there's always water around the cypress in 3Lakes during archery --- it's just either going to be 12" high or waist deep... :teeth:

Last season wasn't really that bad. Heck, I could make it out past the turnpike no problem in my stock Chev1500, and only needed 4wd in a couple of soupy areas. It's the black water holes in the middle of the roads that creep me out. Gotta work on gettin a 4wheeler so I can leave the chevy at camp.

I've taken some closer looks at various cypress heads I've been setup on, and some do clearly have downed trees to explain for the "holes" seen in other aerials. But others are hard to tell. Should be interesting.

So here's a question:

Even if it's shallow, say 6"-18" of water in there, would deer lay around in that?

I guess I just always assumed that they wouldn't, which is kinda why I am interested in checking out some of these heads that look like they have higher ground. If so, and if I were a deer, that'd be a great place for cover to snooze during the day.

FredGarvin
July 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Not sure if this pic will come out good enough, but it's one of a portion of a cypress head that I have hunted near along the edges. On the full aerial it's clear that the "hole" is from downed trees (probably after a hurricane).

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/downedcypresstrees.jpg

FredGarvin
July 30th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Im heading to Green Swamp the first few days of bow season. never bow hunted in FL before so it should make things interesting.

Good luck to you! It's a blast. Just make sure you wake up early to give yourself some time to hydrate in the A.M. (especially if you are going to stalk around), you are going to need it with the high humidity and heat. I'm expecting an average wet season so shouldn't be "too" deep. But I've never gone into GS, maybe others will give you some better advice than I could.

Get your ThermaCell yet? :D

FredGarvin
July 30th, 2009, 08:54 PM
....and get ya some snake boots:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii135/jamesfreddyc/Machete_knife_blade.jpg

:D

Just kiddin', the snakes aren't THAT bad. I can normally see the white mouth of a moccasin flare open well before I'd step on one -- no problems, just need to pay a bit more attention to where you are stepping.

soflanut
July 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM

It was in Deep Lake - It was a DNR truck

JPizzle
July 31st, 2009, 09:17 AM
I have seen them out there before. They have a big jeep of sorts for follwoing the panthers. I saw them out in Feb when I saw too panthers and the jeeps were within a couple hundred yds. I have seen the tracks in there also and keep wanting to hitch a ride. I will post up any reports if I go Sunday. Been having some decent storms here lately.

JPizzle
August 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Well I went to the cypress again yesterday for my last scouting day there before the opener. Saw a good amount of deer and saw a nice 8 point and 4 point all up on a does backside within 5 yards of the tree I had marked for my climber so I am pretty excited. They were chasing her at 1pm so make sure you sit the whole day.

Not too much water. Some areas dry, most areas 6", and the deepest was around 12". Lots of tracks of vehicles back in Deep Lake. I assume it was the FWC people following panthers as it was in the same area I saw the panthers there before.

soflanut
August 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
GPS coordinates and maps would be help so we will stay out of your area. :darkbeer:

evolution.727
August 9th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Scouted three lakes last thursday.The boys were still in velvette.I saw alot of deer two 6 pointers and one buck I couldn't tell.Also saw 8 does.And a dozen hog.Oh yeah an otter too.It sure was hot.Lots of water.I think I got there right after a rain.

Teh Wicked
August 10th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Green Swamp West is a quota hunt, but its not on the list for some reason. I applied for a hunt as well. The state record non-typical was taken there in 2000 I think, scored 220" I think...James Stovall was his name.

Slinging
August 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
New to wmas and we got a quota for archery for babcock/webb can I get some pointers for this area would like to get something since this is the only quota we got for the whole hunting season

Slinging
August 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
New to wmas and we got a quota for archery for babcock/webb can I get some pointers for this area would like to get something since this is the only quota we got for the whole hunting season

Anybody

Captbob
August 11th, 2009, 04:34 PM
thermacell and tall rubber boots cause its wet. the further back you go the better off you will be. i hunt C or D most of the time but have seen some decent bucks lately in A. also get out as early as possible.

Captbob
August 11th, 2009, 04:35 PM
also do you have a buggy or are you going in with a truck?

QuickReflex
August 11th, 2009, 04:48 PM
If your going with a truck your not going far , bad wet this year. I did see a nice buck over close to hwy 74 . But I dont hunt that area just go by it quite often. Lots of hogs been around by hwy 31 in the pines. good luck

dont forget the T-cell or it will get ugly quick.

Slinging
August 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
also do you have a buggy or are you going in with a truck?

can you run a buggy I do have one it is made out of a cj3 it is a platform not real big w/ cut 36" tire will it do anything never been out there is there anything out by dove field I think that is what it is called

Slinging
August 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
is it hard bottom or like mud I don't want to get stuck and ruin the day

Captbob
August 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
ya you can run buggys most people do. we went out today nd saw 9 does and a a buck in a section out towards the cattle gate. the buck was chasin a couple of does. also some big gators in the ditches.

Captbob
August 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
you shouldent get stuck with your set up its pretty firm in most places

Slinging
August 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM
so you can get in now what does it cost to do that?? can you buggy hunt here too

Captbob
August 13th, 2009, 10:39 AM
only the rec area is open now that is section A you can only drive on named roads but you can get out and walk. theres about 7 to 10 in of standing water in most areas. as far as buggy hunting goes we use them to set stands and after we harvest our game. the guys that hunt gun season there drive around till they spot the deer than stop and shoot

Slinging
August 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
so it is closed for buggies during archery even to get to were you are hunting or can you use them for tranportation to your spot

Captbob
August 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
no its open to drive on during season just not now

Slinging
September 10th, 2009, 12:01 AM
well went and scouted tues and there is not a lot of thick woods there we found 2 spots in section A we will try only saw 2 young deer and a hog hopfully we will get something we will have to get in there early to get past a stand that someone has set up don't want to disturb anyone else