PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Montana

shockman
June 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hello all, I'll be heading to Montana in a few weeks for work...Libby / Troy area.
Any info on archery shops, ranges, 3D shoots in the area would be appreciated. Dont know how long I will be there, but right now it looks like mid July till the end of August...or September.

Anyways... I'll be packing a bow or 2 and a block target along to keep myself occupied and out of trouble :darkbeer:

Thanks in advance... and I cant wait to visit some beautiful country.

holger_danske
June 23rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
if you fish, you may want to bring some rods too. Not sure what the archery scene is like up there, but it's tough for an outdoorsman to get bored in that area.

Montana girl
June 23rd, 2009, 02:12 PM
We just opened an archery shop in Libby. Backcountry Archery Proshop 406-293-8738. There is a range about 10 miles from town at the riffle range. they have targets up to 50 yards i believe!!

shockman
June 26th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the info.
holger...the property I will be working on has a creek running through, I've heard it's pretty decent for trout.

Montana girl...I'll be sure to look up the archery shop and also the range when I get there.

Sagittarian
June 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Hello all, I'll be heading to Montana in a few weeks for work...Libby / Troy area.
Any info on archery shops, ranges, 3D shoots in the area would be appreciated. Dont know how long I will be there, but right now it looks like mid July till the end of August...or September.

Anyways... I'll be packing a bow or 2 and a block target along to keep myself occupied and out of trouble :darkbeer:

Thanks in advance... and I cant wait to visit some beautiful country.
Yes sir.
Superior Archery in Billings is a good place to visit on your way through. They have a range and plenty of equipment and accessories. 406 245-0087

Montana girl
June 29th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Dont forget to pack your hiking equipment as well. There are some amazing places to hike around here.

alfabuck
June 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Montana is my dream hunt. One of these days i will make it out there. The problem is i won't wanna come back.Haha!

Montana girl
July 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
It is amazing here. I am blessed to live in such beautiful country!!

shockman
July 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Got all the details sorted out for the job... one more day and a wake up... and I'm on my way.
I just hope my new Postens get here before I leave.

Cant wait to see what Montana is all about.

alfabuck
July 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Good luck out there , i'm jealous!Haha!

Montana girl
July 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
YOUwill LOVE IT!!! Expecially this area!! Lots of stuff to do outdoors!! Truly is amazing country out here!!

shockman
November 27th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Just thought I would post a follow up to this thread :)

Well Montana is truly spectacular, I just returned home after 4 months on the job...and I'll be heading back after the first of the year.

Thanks to all for the advice offered, as I was able to enjoy the fishing,hiking,scenery, and even though I was way to late to apply for non resident tags... I did get to accompany some locals on scouting and hunting excursions.

The fishing turned out to be fantastic, virtually impossible to not catch trout every day, and there is nothing like landing and releasing a bull trout.

Although I had never really hiked much before, I did have a very experienced guide to drag me up a few hills into bear country. Little Spar Lake was a great hike and camping adventure...nothing like being awakened at daybreak by several mule deer invading our campsite :mg:
We also did a 2 night adventure to Snowshoe Lake on the west side of Snowshoe Peak. Very rugged terrain, and the weather turned out to be less than perfect, but it was one of the most incedible experiences I have ever had.

I also enjoyed the opportunity to go along on a few scouting missions to glass the high basins for elk, and I did accompany a couple local hunters on opening day of rifle season... no success on the elk, but still it was a great time.

The job I was on has shut down thru the holidays, but I will be back to resume construction after the first of the year... and it looks like this job could keep me in Montana till this time next year. I'm planning to pick up a set of snowshoes and do some shed hunting with my new freinds... I may also start looking for some property to make a more permanent move west.

Alfabuck; Trust me on this... dont go to Montana if you are not prepared to stay forever... it really is that cool.

Montana Girl... sorry I never made it to the archery shop during this past stay, but I do have one of your hats, courtesy of my friends Carol and Joey at Montana Exposure. I will get to the shop sometime in the coming months however.

All in all... Montana suits me just fine:):):)

john5mt
December 9th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Just dont bring your ohio politics here :mad: We dont care how you do things back home.:)